Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare Tyre Poll

Views : 54190

Replies : 220

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: What should volvo's policy be for spare tyres in new cars?
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a full size spare should be supplied 297 38.87%
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a space save spare should be supplied 440 57.59%
tyre sealant and breakdown cover are sufficient - space should be maximised for cargo 44 5.76%
attach spare to the outside of the car (requiring design change and possible other issues) 7 0.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 764. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 14th, 2021, 13:40   #211
Deck1ng
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
Here's my solution.

Thule 970 hitch-mounted cycle rack, modified so that the wheel can be attached as well as allowing the rack to fold down to allow the hatch to open.
I had something similar some years ago on my JK jeep, to remove the weight off the rear door. It works well.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2022, 09:47   #212
Clive240

We’ve only just had our XC60 and I’m trying to find an 18” space saver wheel at the moment as ours only has the goo that I’m not a fan of but trying to find an 18” spare is proving to be a bit of a pain as I seem to only be able to find 17” which they say will fit now don’t get me wrong they may well fit but I was always told that the spare needs to be the same size as the rest of the wheels on an AWD am I correct ?
Clive240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 22:22   #213
samball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive240 View Post
We’ve only just had our XC60 and I’m trying to find an 18” space saver wheel at the moment as ours only has the goo that I’m not a fan of but trying to find an 18” spare is proving to be a bit of a pain as I seem to only be able to find 17” which they say will fit now don’t get me wrong they may well fit but I was always told that the spare needs to be the same size as the rest of the wheels on an AWD am I correct ?
I got my space saver wheel from Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...wheel&_sacat=0
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 08:50   #214
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive240 View Post
The 17" spare will probably have a taller sidewall to compensate for the smaller rim, making the rolling diameter the same for both
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 17:19   #215
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Part numbers needed for XC60 spare conversion...

31317715 - Jack
31381637 - wrench
31329769 - spacer
31362446 - insert
31682752 - space saver wheel

About £200 worth if purchased new I reckon.

Last edited by RDesign4Life; Jun 14th, 2022 at 17:34.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 23:38   #216
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

A spare is a £400 advantage on a used car, buying the wheel & tool kit from the dealer afterwards is a big expense if you like me demand one, when I say demand I really mean it keeps me in my comfort zone,

If buying new it's silly not to pay the £150 for it then imo, only needs to be a space saver to get you home,

If you get stuck without one and the AA are hours away I can at your own risk suggest a fix,

Blowout, yer fluxed basically

Nail/screw in tyre tread, not wall, pull it out with a pair of pliers, if it resists or feels tight pull it about an inch out, now put some glue or sealant around the nail/screw and wind it back in, give it a few minutes and re-inflate the tyre, drive home slowly regardless of what type of road you are on,

If the nail/screw came out really loose remove and load another bigger screw/nail up with glue/sealant and screw that back into the hole,

If you have a flap, split, tear or whatever other description of cut or in the wall that tyre is toast anyway so a very slow crawl home can be attempted, and I mean slow like 5-10mph max, don't do what our ma did, drove on it like normal until the circular tyre became one long strip of rubber which then tore the front end off the car,

For this preventative measure you should carry, 1x needle nose pliers, 1x tube of Bostick Uhu or bathroom sealant (clear is best ;-) ) and an assortment of screws in varied sizes within reason, forget nails we want something that's going to torque into the hole easy, 1x Screwdriver of each flat & Phillips, 1x tyre inflator,

If you picked up a torx screw then also carrying one of those poundland kits might help,

I take no responsibility for anyone taking this advice, it's for extreme times when you are say on a dark country road and can't get help,

AND DRIVE SLOWLY!
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 13:05   #217
Jeremy P

Default Tyre sealant

Apologies if this has already been commented, but I was told the tyre is a write off if sealant is used, as the puncture can’t be found, so I bought a cheap unused space saver and Jack kit off eBay.
Jeremy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 11:19   #218
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign4Life View Post
Part numbers needed for XC60 spare conversion...

31317715 - Jack
31381637 - wrench
31329769 - spacer
31362446 - insert
31682752 - space saver wheel

About £200 worth if purchased new I reckon.
They are about £230 new off Ebay (genuine Volvo parts) You may get 10% discount on a counter sale at the dealer.

Occasionally 2nd hand ones come up on Ebay and can be had for between £80-£120 maybe less if you're lucky. Just be careful to make sure you get all the bits and the right jack for your car - XC60 has a taller jack than V60/S60 due to ride height.

In theory a tyre repaired with the compressor and gloop should still be repairable although most tyre places won't do it as it takes them ages to get the inside cleaned up before they can plug it so not worth their while for their normal pricing.

Space saver in the boot at least gives confidence that you won't get completely stranded and you remain as far as possible in control of the situation.

Last edited by RDesign4Life; Jul 21st, 2022 at 11:22.
Old Jul 25th, 2022, 20:03   #219
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Not sure how the breakdown of poll results adds up to more than 100% but it's clear that the vast majority of us do not support the silly gloop kits.

I've just bought a genuine Volvo space saver kit off a well known auction site with all the bits including the original unopened bag with a pair of gloves and a cover for the removed roadwheel so you don't get your hands or your boot carpet dirty!

For a little over a ton delivered (half the price of a new one) I reckon it's well worth it for the peace of mind.

Typically as soon as I bought one another pops up cheaper so thought I'd post a link in case anyone is after one...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125430540072

Last edited by RDesign4Life; Jul 25th, 2022 at 20:07.
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 15:57   #220
DangerousDel

First thing I bought for my V60 was a space saver spare, ripped out the junk in the lower well and that's where it lives. I wont have a car without one, the bottle of goo is of little use if you smash an alloy wheel on a pot hole (of which there are alot off !!)
DangerousDel is offline   Reply With Quote