Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Finally bit the bullet

Views : 1030

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2022, 16:40   #1
ASt85
Premier Member

Default Finally bit the bullet

Trying to resolve an "intermittent misfire cyclinder1" (home Vida and DICE) and having changed all 5 plugs again, replaced no1 coil pack and then rotated it through the other 4 cylinders I've come to the conclusion that either at 120Kmiles the throttle body is filthy although it appears crud free, I think it is more likely that either there's a break in the loom wire to coil pack1 or there is fueling issue - tick over is slow at 650rpm, I've replaced fuel filter, air filter and every other service item - pump pressures appear to be in the normal range, there are issues re "rain sensor and o/s door mirror position" out of range.

So, it is booked in with our local trusted Volvo dealer in Aylesford, Lipscomb's on a pm waiting appointment 23 June - sometimes you have to bow to their experience - personally I think there's a problem where the coil loom passes through that rubber block that sits at the right-hand end of cam cover - there is nowhere near enough slack in the post 2001 loom to accommodate the engine rock on tick over - @ £130 inc VAT well worth the money to get a correct diagnosis and get the round town mpg up from 19.6mpg

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 20:49   #2
MisterGee19

Your right it sounds like an issue with the loom.. not unknown.
Although 19.6mpg round town for an auto T5 isn’t bad 😂
MisterGee19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterGee19 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 08:13   #3
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGee19 View Post
Your right it sounds like an issue with the loom.. not unknown.
Although 19.6mpg round town for an auto T5 isn’t bad 😂
It does a lot better on a longer journey at 65 to 70mph the car turns in around 35mpg.....as long as I don't accelerate too hard, but the engine just sounds so great when you push it hard!

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 05:25   #4
ASt85
Premier Member

Thumbs up Fault found and corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
Trying to resolve an "intermittent misfire cyclinder1" (home Vida and DICE) and having changed all 5 plugs again, replaced no1 coil pack and then rotated it through the other 4 cylinders I've come to the conclusion that either at 120Kmiles the throttle body is filthy although it appears crud free, I think it is more likely that either there's a break in the loom wire to coil pack1 or there is fueling issue - tick over is slow at 650rpm, I've replaced fuel filter, air filter and every other service item - pump pressures appear to be in the normal range, there are issues re "rain sensor and o/s door mirror position" out of range.

So, it is booked in with our local trusted Volvo dealer in Aylesford, Lipscomb's on a pm waiting appointment 23 June

Result! No fault codes found that would influence engine management - diagnosis almost certainly an intermittent plug misfire.

Q Would I like them to try and narrow it down?

A Definitely and so plugs and coils were rotated on a "three running cylinders test sequence" - fault quicky found and definitely identified as a dodgy plug.

Q Would I like a new set put in?

A Definitely.

Result one purring T5 back on full song. Which means that out of two packs of 5 Volvo plugs that I had bought 1 in each pack was faulty; I'd found one and changed the full set within days of the fault first appearing after a home service. Knowing how reliable the Volvo plugs are it just didn't seem possible that there could be a second faulty plug in a fresh pack. As both packs arrived in the same courier delivered protected package, I can only think they were either damaged by me when I put them in the engine, (first time for everything) or they were damaged in transit - I doubt they were faulty when they left the factory or the dealer I bought them from for that matter.

Total bill for the code reads, fault finding, new set of plugs and labour was £220 which included a full car valet! In other words, £50 more than a full tank of V-Power E5 these days, which hopefully won't be consumed at the same rate now the car's back on all 5 cylinders all the time. Bonus point, the rain sensor is now working perfectly.

The Volvo in-house coffee was excellent - I just wish they'd market that as well.

My thanks to Lipscomb Volvo Maidstone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 09:15   #5
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Thumbs up

I do like a happy ending...
Glad you got it sorted.
VOLVOBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOBOY For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 06:57   #6
MisterGee19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
It does a lot better on a longer journey at 65 to 70mph the car turns in around 35mpg.....as long as I don't accelerate too hard, but the engine just sounds so great when you push it hard!
Oh yeah tell me about it.
I did 300 miles with two bikes on the roof rack yesterday and got an indicated 26mpg… scary to think that that’s basically a £100 journey these days 😔
MisterGee19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterGee19 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 22:37   #7
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

thats a good deal - doing it yourself is about £120 for the loom only
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barrybritcher For This Useful Post: