Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MPG a bit low on 2014 S60 D4 auto?

Views : 1751

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 24th, 2022, 16:53   #21
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

6. Miller's Diesel Power Eco Max. £12 bottle. Try it for a few tanks - may make a couple of MPG difference and it does give you a Cetane ('Octane') boost.
7. Live with it, or go diesel hybrid ?
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulrikas PA For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 21:37   #22
johnnyoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlos View Post
I have tried to be extremely light footed that's when I hit the highest.

With ECO+ mode on too, but it's too hot at the moment for that as it turns off the AC.

My 33 mile drive is 60mpg single lane A roads/B roads and a few villages @ 30mph along the way. Some rolling hills. I suspect the Volvo is tuned for good MPG when cruising motorways rather than the 60mph winding roads.

I get on a duel carriage way about 2 miles long @ 50mph and the whole drive down there it's reading 70-99mpg, it's a nice and flat straight road.

I'm yet to drive it on a motorway since the first day I got it, but it did seem to do nicely MPG wise that day so perhaps I just have to accept it's a motorway cruiser
Hi just a couple of points you may find useful .
When you select eco+ just turn the aircon back on if you want to use it , the other eco+ functions still work .
I like the eco+ mainly for the way it adjusts the gear change and then there is the coasting .
Gears 7 and 8 are both overdrive gears and my car only just gets into 7th at 50 mph and the engine revs are at approx 1300 so you may not be in top gear when you think you are , it will eventually select 8th but it can take some time . At 50mph in 8th you can feel the engine begining to labour (approx 1200rpm)
I would also add if you are getting 48mpg over that commute then you are doing pretty good . I can get that but only on a decent longish trip
Anyway hope this helps
johnnyoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 09:33   #23
montecarlos

The car was serviced by the dealer when I bought it, Volvo dealer. Full service history etc.

I know it's hard to say if there's something wrong, I can only base it off my own experience with my driving route / style. The issue for me is that I've done drives now with this car that would be getting me closer to 60mpg in other cars I've had. I'm talking sat behind traffic slip streaming @ 50mph with a right foot like a ballerina. I've done this same drive for 6 years in 4 different cars and this is somehow the worst one, even when including a 3.0TDI 272hp Audi A4, which I drove like a maniac.

The main reason I bought this car was to eliminate costs as my friend who I car share with is leaving the company I work at, so I'm going to be driving every day. The main costs I can eliminate are the outstanding costs of the loan I have for the A4, but diesel usage being cut down would have been a bonus - especially with it being £2 a L.

So, the MPG isn't the end of the world as such but I don't want to be in a position where I discover my engine is clogged with soot etc and that's what has caused the issues.

I do have a bottle of redex, will throw that in and see if it helps.

Last edited by montecarlos; Jun 28th, 2022 at 09:43.
montecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 12:03   #24
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecarlos View Post
The car was serviced by the dealer when I bought it, Volvo dealer. Full service history etc.

I know it's hard to say if there's something wrong, I can only base it off my own experience with my driving route / style. The issue for me is that I've done drives now with this car that would be getting me closer to 60mpg in other cars I've had. I'm talking sat behind traffic slip streaming @ 50mph with a right foot like a ballerina. I've done this same drive for 6 years in 4 different cars and this is somehow the worst one, even when including a 3.0TDI 272hp Audi A4, which I drove like a maniac.

The main reason I bought this car was to eliminate costs as my friend who I car share with is leaving the company I work at, so I'm going to be driving every day. The main costs I can eliminate are the outstanding costs of the loan I have for the A4, but diesel usage being cut down would have been a bonus - especially with it being £2 a L.

So, the MPG isn't the end of the world as such but I don't want to be in a position where I discover my engine is clogged with soot etc and that's what has caused the issues.

I do have a bottle of redex, will throw that in and see if it helps.

There are other factors to consider here,

Are you working off the display or brim calc's to get your figures from

Were the other cars reporting accurate figures

Is your S60 on good quality boots or no name budget tyres

A 6 cyl being used at optimum speeds rather than up/down gearbox use will get near or equal smaller engines as power to weight comes into play, 6 doing less than 4 doing more basically

Of your cars era 50 mpg is good, my Insignia used to report 42 until it got to about 70k then one day it just started returning 50 and just kept getting better towards the end of my ownership of it with 54 regularly seen

I really think you are looking for something that isn't there tbh and you must appreciate when you go to forums there's always someone whose car achieves mystical magical figures, as an old mate said to me many years ago "isn't it funny how we always get the s**t cars?" basically other colleagues (I've a better description on them tbh) were deluded or lying, you will find these people everywhere you go they live perfect lives, nothing bad ever happens to them and they always leave the WC smelling of roses,

In addition to the fuel treatment I would have a look at which filters were fitted at the last service, you may find you have an old clogged fuel filter still or one of the brands that are cheap for a reason, if you can treat it to a set of Mann filters, Mann supply the makers so you're getting a genuine quality filter without it having Volvo stamped on it, one last one perhaps the petrol station you use has changed suppliers and the fuel isn't so good now, all these things need considering,

I still think at the end of it all you're expecting more than the car can return, it's 8 years old using ancient engine technology from a period where the masters were insisting engines not designed for modern things like dpf's, adblue, etc be fitted to them, in addition to the heavier safer car aspect Volvo builds,

If it runs smooth, idles smooth your only real option is to buy a full filter and oil kit from ECP and if you can't do it yourself find a good indy mechanic to fit the lot for you, at least then you'll have a benchmark of what it can't be,

Just type your reg number into ECP and select Mann filters each time and the correct oil grade for the car, if they've fitted 5/40 when it should be 0/30 this will mean your hot oil is thicker and making more drag on the engine so check the handbook for the correct one, garages are rife for using whatever they have in stock rather than the correct grade, premium labels doesn't mean better either, the QX oil although cheaper is good oil and probably something from Shell, Mobil, Exxon rebranded.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 14:43   #25
montecarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
There are other factors to consider here,

Are you working off the display or brim calc's to get your figures from

Were the other cars reporting accurate figures

Is your S60 on good quality boots or no name budget tyres

A 6 cyl being used at optimum speeds rather than up/down gearbox use will get near or equal smaller engines as power to weight comes into play, 6 doing less than 4 doing more basically

Of your cars era 50 mpg is good, my Insignia used to report 42 until it got to about 70k then one day it just started returning 50 and just kept getting better towards the end of my ownership of it with 54 regularly seen

I really think you are looking for something that isn't there tbh and you must appreciate when you go to forums there's always someone whose car achieves mystical magical figures, as an old mate said to me many years ago "isn't it funny how we always get the s**t cars?" basically other colleagues (I've a better description on them tbh) were deluded or lying, you will find these people everywhere you go they live perfect lives, nothing bad ever happens to them and they always leave the WC smelling of roses,

In addition to the fuel treatment I would have a look at which filters were fitted at the last service, you may find you have an old clogged fuel filter still or one of the brands that are cheap for a reason, if you can treat it to a set of Mann filters, Mann supply the makers so you're getting a genuine quality filter without it having Volvo stamped on it, one last one perhaps the petrol station you use has changed suppliers and the fuel isn't so good now, all these things need considering,

I still think at the end of it all you're expecting more than the car can return, it's 8 years old using ancient engine technology from a period where the masters were insisting engines not designed for modern things like dpf's, adblue, etc be fitted to them, in addition to the heavier safer car aspect Volvo builds,

If it runs smooth, idles smooth your only real option is to buy a full filter and oil kit from ECP and if you can't do it yourself find a good indy mechanic to fit the lot for you, at least then you'll have a benchmark of what it can't be,

Just type your reg number into ECP and select Mann filters each time and the correct oil grade for the car, if they've fitted 5/40 when it should be 0/30 this will mean your hot oil is thicker and making more drag on the engine so check the handbook for the correct one, garages are rife for using whatever they have in stock rather than the correct grade, premium labels doesn't mean better either, the QX oil although cheaper is good oil and probably something from Shell, Mobil, Exxon rebranded.
Thanks for the insightful post, I appreciate the effort and help.

I think you're probably mostly right in all honesty, I have a few reservations in that my golf mk7 was a 13 plate and the engine used in that was far better on fuel, granted the golf is probably a fair amount lighter.

Then again, comparing 2 completely different engines is a bit daft in the first place anyway so perhaps that's not the road of thinking to go down.

I'd hope a Volvo main dealer would service the car correctly but then again, another Volvo dealer I dealt with tried to sell me a car with an incomplete service history and 1 key, while telling me that's normal and acceptable for Volvo Selekt... before I told them where to shove it, so it's not like we can actually trust main dealers is it!

I think I will look into the filters and I will give some redex ago since I have a bottle of it in my garage anyway, may as well use it!
montecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 10:59   #26
Cloth Ears

Just another point, in the OP you make reference to the scarily low mpg figures when accelerating from a standstill. Don't obsess about that - I know the Volvo display of instantaneous and average mpg is interesting, but the scarily low numbers are just a consequence of the very low road speed. The car senses that you're using X litres per minute and going Y mph. It extrapolates that as though that's the rate of fuel burn you'll use when travelling at a steady speed of Y and gives the instantaneous mpg on that basis. The instantaneous figure isn't all that useful, and probably best ignored.
Cloth Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 12:13   #27
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

VW's are known to be better mpg wise but they run on £12 per litre engine oil so why wouldn't they be that was my experience of them anyway,

As Cloth says never use the instant mpg it simply reports how fast it's going through it at any given time, my old 17 mpg Omega could report 999 mpg that way if the conditions were right,

What you say about the dealers is true as well, your car has to meet the exacting conditions but it's ok for them to sell you any old tat under a special name, keys are a real deal breaker and I won't buy unless there are 2 of them as the spare is now £500 to replace through official sources,

A fella who bought his where I got mine has had a rocker cover gasket leak and they've told him not to worry about it but keep an eye on it, what's the betting it becomes urgent the day after the warranty runs out or if he tries to px it,

Mine also imo doesn't meet what Volvo spec as Selekt, I've had to take it back for one issue already which they have sorted 99% and as the days wore on I noticed various scratches that had been hidden by colour magic or residue compound that weren't there when I signed for it, I've also got little confidence if I get a mechanical fault that they will actually fix it under warranty and I had a similar experience with a Skoda before,

One other thing I would suggest regarding the mpg is to feather drive so no hard pull always from standing and only pedal her to maintain momentum, I find mine is happy to drive normally using only the first 20% of the pedal, no real need to plant it at all, same thing on the motorway up to speed and then just gentle taps of the pedal if the speed drops off, adaptive cruise isn't economic either as you can feel the engine and brakes trying to overrule each other most of the time but it is a godsend in traffic that can't keep a constant speed, with normal cruise I used to find thx to bad ratio's that keeping to 70 meant not being in top gear in the Vx, it would hunt between 5-6 each time, slightest strain on the engine and down to 5th used to happen, automatic CDTi.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote