Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swirl Arm low cost repair!

Views : 165909

Replies : 183

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2021, 21:48   #171
Ianfromnotts

Quick simple fix that seams to be working, is to get a blue coloured electrical connector that has a circular cable crimp, remove the blue insulation and cut the end off, to create an insert for the external arm, glue it in place on half the edge, dont glue the edge that stretches, then push it back on the ball joint
Ianfromnotts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ianfromnotts For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2021, 18:57   #172
miccheck1516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianfromnotts View Post
Quick simple fix that seams to be working, is to get a blue coloured electrical connector that has a circular cable crimp, remove the blue insulation and cut the end off, to create an insert for the external arm, glue it in place on half the edge, dont glue the edge that stretches, then push it back on the ball joint

any chance of a pic?
miccheck1516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2021, 23:24   #173
TimS996

Great thread, just finished reading all of it, which answers the question of why my engine system warning message has been on for the past few days and the car seeming a little sluggish, but I could just be imagining that bit.

2007 D5 2.4 with 102k on and due for a service next week as luck would have it.

After stripping the air pipe off, the arm was hanging down at the front, so I lifted it up for the photo. Its well connected there and looks reasonably new.
I did manage to reconnect it to the other end as well, there was little resistance there so I guess that is worn. That end did move, so does that mean the swirl flaps are freely moving?

It did seem to fit a little better when I turned it over.
Doesn't generally seem to much oil or evidence of coking but I might ask the indy to check it. Is there anything else I could ask them to do to try and keep it on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swirl arm 1.jpg (244.3 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg swirl arm 2.jpg (187.1 KB, 122 views)
TimS996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 10:27   #174
Ianfromnotts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojo View Post
Is there any chance for some photo of your solution?
I will try to upload some but in simple terms buy a car electrical crimp connector with an outer diameter that just fits inside the socket at the engine end, think it is the largest 6.3mm type, albeit with a tape measure it looks like 7mm.

Drift out the metal insert

Cut the remaining plastic to make it into a short round insert and glue it into the arm socket.

In simple terms make a plastic insert to go into the arm that makes the diameter of the socket smaller

Old Feb 19th, 2022, 10:29   #175
Ianfromnotts

Mine is still holding good
Old Feb 24th, 2022, 17:53   #176
Christerart
VOC Member

Default Swirl arm fix - inexpensive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3arEvY0_QU
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 21:53   #177
DigRevs

Hi all,

2010 XC90, 2.4 Active 5D

So I started seeing an 'Engine System Service Required' message about ten days ago after a recent service. I figured it might go away as sometimes they do.

But starting last Friday there was a severe loss in acceleration power. After searching this forum I figured it might be the swirl arm issue, so I had a look.

Can anyone explain why someone - a mechanic - would stuff a piece of foam in there?

It's a second hand car, but I bought it from a Volvo dealer and it has been serviced by an official Volvo service garage since then. So I'm just worried someone is messing me around.

- Tom
DigRevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 22:02   #178
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

It might have found it's way there rather than been placed, however it looks like it's right by a leak so maybe that has something to do with it,

Before you major strip things try cleaning your egr valve, there's tubes showing how to and how to test if it's stuck and how to clean it back up.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 11:37   #179
DigRevs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christerart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
It might have found it's way there rather than been placed, however it looks like it's right by a leak so maybe that has something to do with it,

Before you major strip things try cleaning your egr valve, there's tubes showing how to and how to test if it's stuck and how to clean it back up.
Thanks SnineT, I wouldn't feel confident to try and fix it myself though. I was just worried it could have been damaged and then covered up during the recent service.
DigRevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 10:29   #180
whitac

some good info here thanks guys! Im new here and having similar issues.
First get the swirl flap actuator position fault but all seemed connected and moving freely.
since been using a lot of oil and DPF issues as seems common.

I have a lot more investigation to do but thanks for sharing your experience!
whitac is offline   Reply With Quote