Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Non starting following shut off

Views : 1441

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2022, 20:45   #11
S80Dave

Didn't know you could get a cheap smoke tester.
I have checked the hoses for leaks but with a home made contraption. I used an old hand pumped garden sprayer. Put a Plumbers smoke pellet in and pumped some smoke into the induction hoses. You only get about a minute before it burns out and starts burning the sprayer! Possibly not a recommended method but it showed a slight leak now tightened.
Alas not the problem, nor was it the crank position sensor which I replaced yesterday.

Also I have checked the throttle position sensor outputs in case it was showing slightly open when closed and asking for fuel when restarting. About 0.61V when throttle closed (or idling) which I believe is about right. Rises up to 4 or 5V with throttle and settles back quickly to 0.6V when throttle off.
Fuel injector connections all look sound, and I have fuel pressure and fuel pump running when attempting restart.
I have yet to check for spark when attempting restart but will do. Still puzzled as to why this condition is only present during the first few minutes of shut off. Engine is still surely fully hot at 6 to 8 minutes after shut off and will start normally, so not really a 'hot start' problem.
Will update if there is any progress.
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 21:28   #12
Luxobarge
Premier Member

That's a real poser, given the long list of things you've done and changed. I agree, try and find out what's missing in the "no start" condition, is it missing spark, fuel being injected or both? This will hopefully help eliminate a lot of things. Remember just because you have fuel pressure at the rail doesn't mean that the injectors are firing and injecting it, so see if you can determine if they're actually firing. Spark is easy to test for, but injectors actually firing and injecting fuel more difficult, but equally important.

Will be following this one with interest!
Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 19:26   #13
Baffler
Premier Member

Just some thoughts...

Could the EVAP check (one-way) valve be sticking open slightly when warm, creating vacuum loss, then closes once it has cooled down some?

When you replaced the antenna ring did you clean the harness connector with contact cleaner? Although, you'd most likely experience poor starting from cold if that was the case.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 14:18   #14
t4johnny

Default Fuel injector relay

Hi
Has the fuel injector relay been checked at all ?
Grey relay sits at front of the car just under the cowling above the radiator.
t4johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 19:53   #15
S80Dave

The grey fuel injector relay is something I had seen in the forums as being a problem, but I could never find one and figured this was maybe just on the 850s. I only have an electric fan relay in the cowling above the radiator.
My circuit diagram for 1997 V70 does show a 'main system relay' that appears to feed the fuel injection ECU, and I have found this in the engine fusebox.
I took it out to note the part number (9128164) and cleaned the terminals before replacing.
I've been out today and managed to restart twice within a few minutes of shutting off. Not conclusive as this would have been possible by chance previously. I will monitor it further.
The Following User Says Thank You to S80Dave For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 20:46   #16
Calmaxic

I've been on a mission to try and solve an intermittent non-start issue with my 1997 V70 2.4 N/A where occasionally it would fire up then die almost immediately. Usually first thing when the engine was cold but it wasn't guaranteed. I still had my fair share of embarrassing moments at the fuel pump. Very similar situation where I'd worked through everything I could think of from the antenna ring, fuel filter, vacuum leaks, fuel pump relay etc etc. Occasionally it lulled me into a false sense of security and behaved for a while but the issue always ended up coming back and it was driving me crazy. Stumbled across this post and changed out the system relay (9128164) and so far so good! Would love an update from OP on how things went
Calmaxic is offline   Reply With Quote