Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P1800es Delores 1972 Blue

Views : 4037

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2022, 22:42   #51
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Good evening, 'S.W.', I'm sorry to learn of Delores' incontinence.

I offer the following as a theory - nothing more - as I have no direct experience of the problem. A car that drips the odd drop of oil yes, but nothing like the problem that you are experiencing.

I think we can assume that it is gear box - not engine - oil. When you return from a run of any distance, the oil will be warm, therefore thinner, and more prone to leak.

When you select reverse gear, the counter rotation of the tail shaft is somehow picking up the oil and 'pumping' it out past the seal in a manner not dissimilar to an Archimedes' Screw. If the seal is slightly worn or scored, it may exacerbate this process.

Under normal forward driving conditions, the rotation of the tail shaft contrives to keep the oil where it rightly should be - i.e. contained within the gearbox.

As I say, just a theory. I may well be barking up completely the wrong tree!

Regards, John.
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 00:01   #52
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
It is always in the same format a bigger 2” blob then regular smaller drips and finishing with a bigger blob the same as at the start.

Snow White
This is a big clue! As you drive in to the point where you start to reverse, you come to a complete stop - blob #1.

You reverse leaving a trail to the pint where you come to a stop - blob #2.

It sounds as ifthere is a constant, relatively minor leak that is building up on a crossmember perhaps and as you stop, the momentun throws it off and onto the deck.

When you return home, do you always stop in the same place before reversing? If so, firstly there will be a collection of blob #1s and more importantly, if you stop and get out at that point,, you will be able to relate it to a point on the underside of the car where there is likely a leak.

Similar for blob #2 although i suspect it's in the same relative position, give or take a few inches (width of a crossmember) as blob #1 to the actual underside of the car.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 01:50   #53
Derek UK
VOC Member

Check the speedo drive seal. Interestingly the speedo gear shaft does have an Archimedean screw on it.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 17:53   #54
Snow White

Default Reversing oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
This is a big clue! As you drive in to the point where you start to reverse, you come to a complete stop - blob #1.

You reverse leaving a trail to the pint where you come to a stop - blob #2.

It sounds as ifthere is a constant, relatively minor leak that is building up on a crossmember perhaps and as you stop, the momentun throws it off and onto the deck.

When you return home, do you always stop in the same place before reversing? If so, firstly there will be a collection of blob #1s and more importantly, if you stop and get out at that point,, you will be able to relate it to a point on the underside of the car where there is likely a leak.

Similar for blob #2 although i suspect it's in the same relative position, give or take a few inches (width of a crossmember) as blob #1 to the actual underside of the car.
Yes, it’s approximately the same place as I line up to reverse park in the garage . My drive is becoming an intersection piece of modern ‘art’ with the patterning!
Thank you yes, such a simple but useful suggestion to stop after engaging reverse and see if I can observe where it is coming from. SW
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snow White For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 17:54   #55
Snow White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Check the speedo drive seal. Interestingly the speedo gear shaft does have an Archimedean screw on it.
That is a good suggestion - thank you. SW
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 18:01   #56
Snow White

Default Oil leak on reversing

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Good evening, 'S.W.', I'm sorry to learn of Delores' incontinence.

I offer the following as a theory - nothing more - as I have no direct experience of the problem. A car that drips the odd drop of oil yes, but nothing like the problem that you are experiencing.

I think we can assume that it is gear box - not engine - oil. When you return from a run of any distance, the oil will be warm, therefore thinner, and more prone to leak.

When you select reverse gear, the counter rotation of the tail shaft is somehow picking up the oil and 'pumping' it out past the seal in a manner not dissimilar to an Archimedes' Screw. If the seal is slightly worn or scored, it may exacerbate this process.

Under normal forward driving conditions, the rotation of the tail shaft contrives to keep the oil where it rightly should be - i.e. contained within the gearbox.

As I say, just a theory. I may well be barking up completely the wrong tree!

Regards, John.
Thank you John - That is exactly the same sort of theory I was thinking of too, possibly a gear box a seal being worn and the oil being thinner following a longer drive and the hot weather. So that’s two of us barking but it may not be the wrong tree!

I have received some good advice from members , and appreciate everyone’s ideas and suggestions. SW
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow White For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 18:07   #57
Snow White

Default Oil leak on reversing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
That’s very interesting and useful
Information. Thank you, SW
The Following User Says Thank You to Snow White For This Useful Post: