Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alternator problems?

Views : 1636

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2022, 08:15   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default Alternator problems?

1969,144. B20. Alternator problem.I thought at first when the engine barely turned over on starting was due to an old battery. Replacing the battery with a new one made no difference to the slow turn over after a sixty km trip.I suspect the alternator or regulator. (it was a new battery fitted)
First of all how do I check the alternator or regulator for functionality?
Secondly should the alternator or regulator be faulty can they be repaired?
If not repairable has anyone used a different alternator from a different vehicle?
Could something else be draining the battery when standing over night?
The red charging light does go out after starting. Also new battery.

After trying to charge it without much success I am beginning to suspect a faulty new battery. It hasn't seemed to receive a full charge after an overnight charge on my CTEC. Another battery charges fully on same battery charger.
Question. How I test the new battery. I have a multimeter?

Last edited by arcturus; Jun 13th, 2022 at 10:49.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 11:38   #2
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
1969,144. B20. Alternator problem.I thought at first when the engine barely turned over on starting was due to an old battery. Replacing the battery with a new one made no difference to the slow turn over after a sixty km trip.I suspect the alternator or regulator. (it was a new battery fitted)
First of all how do I check the alternator or regulator for functionality?
Secondly should the alternator or regulator be faulty can they be repaired?
If not repairable has anyone used a different alternator from a different vehicle?
Could something else be draining the battery when standing over night?
The red charging light does go out after starting. Also new battery.

After trying to charge it without much success I am beginning to suspect a faulty new battery. It hasn't seemed to receive a full charge after an overnight charge on my CTEC. Another battery charges fully on same battery charger.
Question. How I test the new battery. I have a multi-meter?
OK,having consulted YouTube With the engine running at fast idle multi-meter test showed only 13.5 V. with meter probes at Battery. Should I test at the alternator connections before battery?
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 18:39   #3
142 Guy
Master Member

13.5 volts at the battery terminals will generally not charge a flooded lead acid battery to 100% - in this century. You want the charge voltage to be around 14.2 - 14.5 volts at fast idle.

Repeat the voltage test at the alternator B+ terminal. That will be the terminal on the back of the alternator which has the large wires (should be red insulation) that go to the +12v distribution block over on the fender. If you have > 14 volts at the alternator and 13.5 volts at the battery terminal you have a problem with the wiring between the battery and alternator. Inspect carefully. If you have 13.5 volts at the B+ terminal, then you have an issue with alternator and / or your voltage regulator.

Assuming the problem is alternator / regulator related, fist check the condition of the wiring between the alternator and the voltage regulator including the grounding of the alternator and the regulator. Next, your 140 will have a charge indicator light. With the ignition on; but, the engine not running does the charge indicator light illuminate? If it does not illuminate that indicates a failed indicator light bulb or a problem in that wiring. The alternator need the tiny current that flows through the charge indicator light bulb to flash the field at start up. Without field flashing the alternator will not generate significant voltage under load or take a long time to start generating voltage.

If the wiring and the charge indicator light bulb function, then you have an internal alternator / regulator problem. The electrical section of the 1800E service manual (if you don't have the 140 service manual) describes both the SEV Motorola and the Bosch alternator if you need to do repairs.
https://volvo1800pictures.com/docume...1800E_1971.pdf

There is a simple test that you can do which which will help to determine whether the problem is in the alternator or the voltage regulator. It is called a field flashing test. Set up to measure the vehicle voltage. With the engine running apply +12v to the DF terminal on the alternator. You should see the vehicle voltage rise to somewhere close to 15 volts. If the filed flash test generates around 15 volts then you alternator is likely OK and you have a voltage regulator issue. If the field flash test fails, then you have an alternator problem.

If you do a search on Google using the term alternator field flashing test you should be able to find some descriptions of the test.

My 142 has the Bosch alternator / regulator. As I recall you can adjust the output voltage with the Bosch regulator. I don't know about the Motorola alternator. I still have an original Bosch 35 amp alternator; but, my regulator packed it in and I have replaced it with one of Dave Barton's adjustable solid state voltage regulators which does a good job of keeping ht evoltage around 14.3 volts.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 09:56   #4
arcturus
arcturus

Is the alternator on the Bosch have brushes or is it brush-less?
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 18:18   #5
142 Guy
Master Member

As in the original Bosch alternator on the 140? It most definitely has brushes.
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 20:55   #6
arcturus
arcturus

Are they accessible,What would be the symptoms of wear and can they be changed easily ?
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 23:12   #7
142 Guy
Master Member

On the Bosch 35 amp alternator the brush holder is accessible and removeable from the back of the alternator. It's the brown phenolic thing retained by two screws.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alternator.jpg (44.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by 142 Guy; Oct 11th, 2022 at 23:14.
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post: