Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sources of engine oil leak on XC90 Mk1?

Views : 590

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2022, 19:52   #1
wbv

Default Sources of engine oil leak on XC90 Mk1?

Got an oil leak on my 166k '09 XC90 D5 (pictures below).

When I bought the car 10 months and a few thousand miles ago, it had what looked like an old oil stain, but more of a weep rather than fresh dripping oil.

Went under it again, and now oil is now fresh enough to form a drip that comes off with touch; the oil level itself is going down at a slow rate according to the dipstick too.

I've searched on this forum and online, and it could be the core plug, seal between engine and gearbox, maybe crankshaft seals?

Naturally am going to take it into a garage to be looked at, and am wondering if anyone else has had anything similar/could let me know what might be in store?

https://i.imgur.com/EtR9qzI.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/o5jhT6E.jpeg

Last edited by wbv; Aug 10th, 2022 at 19:59.
wbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 00:18   #2
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Before you spend, take the engine cover off and have a look at the rocker cover gasket in that area,

It could be a number of things and maybe something not too expensive to fix, it does look like classic crank seal trouble which will mean the same sort of money to fix as a clutch labour wise,

In one of your pictures the tube/hose looks pretty mucky, if this is a turbo hose it could be blowing out of there, do you have any siren sounds coming from the car while you are driving? like a whining that matches the revs of the car and also sounds like a cop car in the distance responding.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 22:46   #3
wbv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
In one of your pictures the tube/hose looks pretty mucky, if this is a turbo hose it could be blowing out of there, do you have any siren sounds coming from the car while you are driving? like a whining that matches the revs of the car and also sounds like a cop car in the distance responding.
As luck(?) would have it, I started seeing white smoke out the back, and the car goes into limp mode after sounding like a boy racer. I think it may be the resonator pipe that has leaked and now gone: off into garage next week to find out either way
The Following User Says Thank You to wbv For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 23:09   #4
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Good Luck!!

Fingers crossed for a "not too expensive" fix.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 23:47   #5
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbv View Post
As luck(?) would have it, I started seeing white smoke out the back, and the car goes into limp mode after sounding like a boy racer. I think it may be the resonator pipe that has leaked and now gone: off into garage next week to find out either way
that sounds like a turbo problem tbh, the white smoke (did it stink eggy?) and the high revs without intervention suggests she's running on engine oil as well as diesel,

On the upside if it is this you've caught it before the turbo exploded and then got sucked into the engine in little pieces destroying the lot in the process, the high revs is thermal runaway and it normally goes full throttle until the oil runs out and the engine seizes.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 21:42   #6
wbv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
that sounds like a turbo problem tbh, the white smoke (did it stink eggy?) and the high revs without intervention suggests she's running on engine oil as well as diesel,

On the upside if it is this you've caught it before the turbo exploded and then got sucked into the engine in little pieces destroying the lot in the process, the high revs is thermal runaway and it normally goes full throttle until the oil runs out and the engine seizes.
It did smell like sulphur. The garage confirmed that one of those hoses (resonator I think?) had blow right off, and the seal itself was broken.

Assuming these seals/pipe has been gradually failing over time, this explains the oil in that area too.