Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stolen Cat

Views : 938

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2022, 18:09   #11
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerMagic View Post
Thank you everyone for your kind words.

I'll inform the local constabulary later to get a crime number, then see what the insurance say

It is bad luck, I'm generally pretty fortunate however I guess it was only a matter of time given the fair is in town...

It's interesting that I don't need a type approved Cat, that should be cheaper to replace.

I think there is enough of the exhaust left to use a joining piece each end and fit an intermediate pipe ( whether it's a cheap cat, or a small silencer or a straight pipe remains to be seen) using some sort of joining clamp affair.

The MOT isn't due for a while yet so this should give me time to get it properly sorted, I just need to use the Volvo from time to time as it's the 7 seater convenience I use it for.

Thanks again,
Kelv
Ah, the fair is in town, the travellers probably didn’t realise the Volvo CC is only worth about £40. They probably got a tenner for it as scrap.

In my experience insurance is never worth claiming from unless one has a big loss or someone gets hurt. Even if you don’t loose any NCB you will still have made a claim and pay for it over the next few years.

Do you need a CC at all? I don’t know when the legal requirement is enforced from, but depending on the value and provenance of your motor car a straight pipe might be okay?

PS. It looks like only motor cars built before 1993 (K registration) do not necessarily need a CC, so ignore that last paragraph above.

Last edited by Othen; Aug 14th, 2022 at 18:32.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 19:26   #12
GingerMagic

Cool

I've been researching too - and sadly yes, cars after 1992 need a cat, but only those built after 2001 ( possibility Euro 5 timings ) need a type approved cat.

So a cheap and cheerful cat will do to get me going, or a straight pipe welded in place will do but only until MOT time
2019 Citroen C3 ( wife's )
GingerMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 20:57   #13
GingerMagic

Had a peek on eBay....

It looks like a replacement cat and downpipe will be around £90 which is a pain in the arse but better than I originally imagined - probably not worth going through the insurance.

I'll get the car checked over by my trusted MOT guy and see what damage there is and if the eBay parts are suitable.

Thank you everyone for your input.
2019 Citroen C3 ( wife's )
GingerMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 21:38   #14
lnparry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerMagic View Post
Had a peek on eBay....

It looks like a replacement cat and downpipe will be around £90 which is a pain in the arse but better than I originally imagined - probably not worth going through the insurance.

I'll get the car checked over by my trusted MOT guy and see what damage there is and if the eBay parts are suitable.

Thank you everyone for your input.
Hi, I paid something like £90 to100 for cat and front downpipe from CatstoU or something like that. Came next day and good fit. Same model as you. I enquired re insurance and although covered would eat into excess and no claims so not worth it.

LeeP
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 21:49   #15
lnparry

Ps, be thankful car is not post 2001 or thereabouts as, as far as I can see, you have to pay 4 times as much for same CAT just to have a conformance stamp otherwise MoT failure.

Cheers,
LeeP
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 21:52   #16
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnparry View Post
Ps, be thankful car is not post 2001 or thereabouts as, as far as I can see, you have to pay 4 times as much for same CAT just to have a conformance stamp otherwise MoT failure.

Cheers,
LeeP
I highly doubt any MOT tester would actually check this out, they have enough to do in a day without this so I reckon you could easily get away with it.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 22:02   #17
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I highly doubt any MOT tester would actually check this out, they have enough to do in a day without this so I reckon you could easily get away with it.
… and a bit of spray on rust just where that little conformance mark should be….

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Aug 14th, 2022 at 22:09.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: