Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 821338

Replies : 6256

Users Viewing This Thread : don kalmar union

Old Aug 14th, 2022, 18:14   #2041
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

I think Bob 1967 is talking about Euros, not pounds. Even so, it's still £1.87 ish.

Oh for the wistful reminiscence of fuelling my first car at 6/8 a gallon!

------------------------------------------------------
Comfy and roomy but a bit boring. I've had two.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 22:01   #2042
Bob 1967
Master Member

total tax : 51% on petrol and 45% on Diesel .
Excise duty +Vat(23%)+ Nora (2%).
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 22:33   #2043
BicycleBoy
Master Member

33,000 mile one owner 145..... very pretty, but £18,500!
https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1474809
A similar red one didn"t sell for £15k down south a while ago, gotta think there's an upper limit to even the best examples of a model, and these are way over what a 145 is worth, even the best.

What's the absolute upper limit a (historic or otherwise) 240 would be worth, (cooking models only, so excluding Series A replicas)? I know there's plenty of unsold £7-12k adverts about, but who would realistically go North of, say five or six grand...?
BicycleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 23:37   #2044
Steve 940
Premier Member

Ah I saw that one yesterday, and did splutter the cornflakes on the price!

My immediate gut reaction was that its way overpriced.

But then again, if you were wanting a 145 (as I am leaning towards) how much would it cost to get an average one to that condition??? Always assuming it's really as good as it looks in the flesh as it were.

I'm pretty certain the age of people that would want a 145 would probably be in the 50-60 year age range probably for 'sentimental' reasons, we had one as a kid etc. but then aren't all car purchases sentimental? This age demographic will in all possibility have a pension pot that they can perhaps dip into.

If I was selling its worth a punt, but as a buyer, of course you want to pay as little as possible. I suppose it comes down to the usual, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay??

No I'm not willing by the way😀

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 04:29   #2045
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
33,000 mile one owner 145..... very pretty, but £18,500!
https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1474809
A similar red one didn"t sell for £15k down south a while ago, gotta think there's an upper limit to even the best examples of a model, and these are way over what a 145 is worth, even the best.

What's the absolute upper limit a (historic or otherwise) 240 would be worth, (cooking models only, so excluding Series A replicas)? I know there's plenty of unsold £7-12k adverts about, but who would realistically go North of, say five or six grand...?
Here is something I wrote about 2 years ago, but I think is still useful:
a. Rough cars (anything with barn find in the title, cars needing welding to the sills or rear arches, MoT failures): make less than £1000.

b. Middling cars: 1981 and later cars with 100-200,000 miles, a bit of history (maybe the past decade, the stuff before that is just for interest), a long MoT and no obvious welding or repairs needed: make £1,500 to £3,000.

c. Very good cars: 1981 and later cars with less than 100,000 miles, full history, long MoT and in really good condition make £3,000 to £4,500.

d. Historic cars (1980 and older) will generally make 50-100% more than the above categories.

The above is just my observation of the market, it will not stop people hawking around rough cars for £3,000, mediocre cars for £ 6,000 or very good cars for silly money I don't think they often achieve.
Even though this is 2 years old I still don’t think it is far wrong; perhaps we have seen the odd very good car make over £5,000.

I’d say from experience then that non-historic registered 240s top out at £6,000 - it doesn’t make any difference how good they are, they never sell at more than that. Historic cars are a little different, they make more, but how much more? From my experience with the RB (top of the middling cars or lower part of the very good cars), I’d say the historic factor is worth 50%. That implies very good 244s and 245s will top out at £9,000 - but they would have to be immaculate to achieve that.

We have not really seen 200 series sold prices increase much in the past 3 years, and I rather suspect they may go down a bit if people feel the pinch this coming winter. The £10,000ish 1990ish cars we see advertised now are the same ones being offered this time last year, but it doesn’t stop folk (mainly dealers) hawking them at that price.

I hope that is helpful.

Last edited by Othen; Aug 15th, 2022 at 07:18.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 04:43   #2046
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Ah I saw that one yesterday, and did splutter the cornflakes on the price!

My immediate gut reaction was that its way overpriced.

But then again, if you were wanting a 145 (as I am leaning towards) how much would it cost to get an average one to that condition??? Always assuming it's really as good as it looks in the flesh as it were.

I'm pretty certain the age of people that would want a 145 would probably be in the 50-60 year age range probably for 'sentimental' reasons, we had one as a kid etc. but then aren't all car purchases sentimental? This age demographic will in all possibility have a pension pot that they can perhaps dip into.

If I was selling its worth a punt, but as a buyer, of course you want to pay as little as possible. I suppose it comes down to the usual, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay??

No I'm not willing by the way😀

Cheers
Steve
Good points Steve, we’ll made.

This is (like everything) just about supply and demand. 140s have never had a cult following (except amongst geography teachers) so demand will always be a bit low. The supply side is fairly static: it will increase with the odd barn find coming into the market, and decrease with cars being stolen, catching fire and so on. For 140s supply and demand are fairly well balanced so prices don’t change all that much. Eventually demand may decrease (as it has for pre-war cars) as the generation interested in them for the nostalgia die off (or stop driving).

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Aug 15th, 2022 at 06:00.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 18:29   #2047
Steve 940
Premier Member

Ye Gods, its dangerous this 'just browsing' malarkey.

Thought the 145 was pricey, I know off brand Volvo, so apologies, but £70k for a Rover P5b.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155115865...QAAOSwllZix~Iq

I recall this one I'm sure having its full rebuild being documented a few years ago in Classic and Sportscar magazine, reg no was I think linked to owners company name???

Anyway, makes one think.....

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 21:50   #2048
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Yeah well, chariot of HRH & Maggie, was never going to be cheap...

Satisfy yourself with a 3500 P6, unless your Aristocratic family are willing to help out... My neighbour was tarting this up for the vendor a few weeks ago paint a little bubbly in places but we talked him out of a two-tone respray...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155097914788
Lovely interior. And a tenth of the P5b.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 22:16   #2049
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Indeed, according to this rag, you could get Maggie's actual P5 for only £45k...
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...-sell-45k.html
Go down a f***ing treat at the local Conservative Club, if that's your thing.

Get yer beans out:
https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/...isterial-steed

Last edited by BicycleBoy; Aug 15th, 2022 at 22:22.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 22:39   #2050
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
Indeed, according to this rag, you could get Maggie's actual P5 for only £45k...
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...-sell-45k.html
Go down a f***ing treat at the local Conservative Club, if that's your thing.

Get yer beans out:
https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/...isterial-steed
That would be incredibly cool: Baroness Thatcher's Rover - but what would be even cooler would be Sir Denis Thatcher's Ford Cortina (the one he bought after being told his old Rolls was too conspicuous).

:-)