Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel gauge

Views : 1369

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2022, 22:47   #1
classic volvo
Volvo Guest.

Default Fuel gauge

My fuel gauge is reading half way no matter how little or how much fuel I put in. Any ideas what it could be would be much appreciated
classic volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 00:27   #2
grumpydad

Hi
float could be stuck
take wire of sender in the boot
should read empty
earth wire should read full
if float stuck take out and fix
grumpydad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grumpydad For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 09:13   #3
classic volvo
Volvo Guest.

Thank you for your reply. Is it located in the central of the tank ?
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 09:17   #4
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic volvo View Post
Thank you for your reply. Is it located in the central of the tank ?
Yes think there are two types from memory.

Does the engine temp gauge work? If not it's probably the voltage stabilizer/regulator thingy in the instrument panel as it is used for both the temp and fuel gauges. The previous owner had that issue with my car before I bought it.
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 17:24   #5
142 Guy
Master Member

It should be easy to access the sensor once you remove the masonite / hardboard tank covering that forms the floor of the trunk. As I recall the resistance range on the sender on my 1971 140 is 70 ohms (empty) to 10 ohms full. As noted by grumpydad, pulling the wire off the sender should cause the gauge to read empty. If it does, then the sender is likely faulty. You can confirm that the gauge works by connecting a 68 ohm resistor beteen the sender wire and ground (should read empty) and then a 10 ohm resistor between the sender wire and ground (should read full). If you need a new sender be sure to get he one used for you model year. Volvo used at least 3 different senders on the 140 and they do not interchange.

If the gauge appears to be faulty, do as burdekin advises and check the temperature gauge. A flakey fuel gauge and temperature gauge points towards a bad voltage stabilizer. However, it would be unusual / difficult for a stabilizer to fail in a mode where it gives a continuous 1/2 tank reading.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 22:11   #6
classic volvo
Volvo Guest.

Thank you so much guys really appreciate all your advise. Makes owning such a lovely old Volvo much more enjoyable 👍
Old May 3rd, 2022, 22:01   #7
RoscoMac
Scottish Section Chair

Anyone know where we can source replacement voltage stabilisers ? Thanks
RoscoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2022, 23:29   #8
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoMac View Post
Reproductions no longer appear to be available. Skandix (and Classic Volvo) offers a rebuild service; but, you have to supply an original to get the horrendous core charge back

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...lizer/1021371/

At that price I would be inclined to fabricate a stabilizer. Either from one of the LM series 5 volt 3 terminal regulators (with a heat sink) or using a microcontroller to switch a MOFSET to give you a PWM modulated output of 5 volts - which is effectively what the existing stabiliser is. Should be able to do it for less than $10 Cdn $. If you search using Google you can probably find a replacement circuit that somebody has already cooked up. I would volunteer; but, the weather here has recently switched from deep winter to balmy spring so I am currently disinclined to spend time in the basement workshop. If it starts raining, then maybe!

May be Ebay might yield a used one. Note that you need to check part number. Early 140s (at least up to my 1971) used a 5 volt stabiliser. I think the '73 and later 140s used a 10 volt stabiliser.

Last edited by 142 Guy; May 3rd, 2022 at 23:33.
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2022, 09:24   #9
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoMac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
Reproductions no longer appear to be available. Skandix (and Classic Volvo) offers a rebuild service; but, you have to supply an original to get the horrendous core charge back

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...lizer/1021371/

At that price I would be inclined to fabricate a stabilizer. Either from one of the LM series 5 volt 3 terminal regulators (with a heat sink) or using a microcontroller to switch a MOFSET to give you a PWM modulated output of 5 volts - which is effectively what the existing stabiliser is. Should be able to do it for less than $10 Cdn $. If you search using Google you can probably find a replacement circuit that somebody has already cooked up. I would volunteer; but, the weather here has recently switched from deep winter to balmy spring so I am currently disinclined to spend time in the basement workshop. If it starts raining, then maybe!

May be Ebay might yield a used one. Note that you need to check part number. Early 140s (at least up to my 1971) used a 5 volt stabiliser. I think the '73 and later 140s used a 10 volt stabiliser.
This is good advice.

The original instrument voltage regulator was defective when I bought the RB (a 1980 244) so I replaced it with a solid state item such as 142 Guy suggests. Mine came in a little kit with a 10v stabiliser, a heat sink and so on for less than a tenner. This link has the details:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=383

... if you have an earlier 140 you would need the 5v alternative.

Good fortune,

Alan

PS. If you are a little bit handy with a soldering iron you could probably save a fiver by getting just the component (just google LM7805 or LM7810) - and making up a little loom and a heat sink from some bits and pieces.

Last edited by Othen; May 4th, 2022 at 10:05. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2022, 17:27   #10
142 Guy
Master Member

Well there you go!

https://spiyda.com/instrument-voltag...lizer-kit.html

For the 5 volt option it will be really important to mount the voltage regulator on a good heat sink. When the tank is full the sensor resistance is 10 ohms which means a sensor current of about 5volts/10 ohms = 0.5 amps. If your charging system is up to snuff the running voltage will be about 14 volts. That means that the voltage regulator has a voltage drop of 14 - 5 = 9 volts. The power dissipated by a linear voltage regulator will be 9V x 0.5A = 4.5 watts which in a tiny package means that it will be getting very hot.

You might want to try this thing instead

https://www.amazon.ca/Converter-Ajus...37512675&psc=1

It is a class of device known as a buck regulator. The only down-side is that it has an adjustable output so you will need a voltmeter to set the output to 5 volts. It is claimed that it can supply up to 3 amps so it should be able to supply the fuel and temp gauge circuits easily. Its up side is that it has a very high efficiency so heat dissipation should be less of an issue and its small enough that you could probably attach it to the existing stabilizer mounting board and use the existing mounting point. Plus, you get two of them for less than the cost of one of the Spiyda linear regulators.

Here is exactly the same thing on same for the cost of a package of chewing gum

https://www.amazon.ca/Lysignal-LM259.../dp/B074J4NXCM
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post: