Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Special Volvo Tool

Views : 1099

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 16:16   #11
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

Very clean! Mine was a daily commute into East London for many years so a little more crusty!
PSJVTHEBEST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PSJVTHEBEST For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 11:35   #12
Martin Cox
VOC Member

I bought what I believe was the genuine tool from TMS Volvo. it certainly came in what looked like genuine packaging and was a hefty piece of metalwork. I didn't bother with buying the reinforcing kit as advertised by Scandix since I reckoned, if necessary, I could knock something up that would do the job from stuff I had lying around.

Two things surprised me about the tool. Firstly the bearing had a grease nippe and secondly how fine the pitch of the thread on the screw was. Both suggested that the tool was intended to apply a lot of force.

My understanding is that the usual way this tool fails is to do with the roll pins that engage with the bush, hence the re-inforcing kits on offer.

With regard to doing the job, for me by far the hardest part was shifting the splined bolt retaining one of the bushes in sub-frame. a process involving hours of frustrating judicial brutality documented elsewhere on this forum.

After a trial, it was quite obvious that the bush wasn't going to move without applying more force to the tool than I felt was reasonable. As others have said, heat is your friend.

Even after heating the sub-frame around the bush until the plastic began to melt and bubble, a lot of force was still needed to remove the bush. It came out in a worrying series of jerks and needed reheating a couple of times to keep it moving. Anyway the tool survived unscathed which is more than can be said for my nerves.

After removing the old bush get the inside of the sub-frame, where the new bush will fit, as clean as possible. A liberal application of silicone grease will help the new bush slide home.

The tool can be used to press the new bush home, which it will do with another series of jerks and it may be necessary to keep the bush straight on course with some judicious lateral taps from a hammer.

in the end I didn't bother with the reinforcing kit, trusting to experience (or more accurately, luck and foolhardiness!) not to over stress the tool.

Personally I would not have contemplated replacing these bushes myself without this tool although I freely acknowledge it can be done. However the proper tool minimises the risk of personal injury and collateral damage.

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi Auto
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 13:54   #13
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

Yes, the splines were tough! Here's a couple of 'after' photos just to tease those who are still battling with the job!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200403_122002666.jpg (236.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200403_122013001.jpg (167.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200403_122023905.jpg (169.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200404_104850595.jpg (145.3 KB, 21 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PSJVTHEBEST For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 11:59   #14
vanno

As an update to my original post, my trusted garage, Southwell Lane Garage here in Kirkby in Ashfield, Notts, have been working on my 1997 V70 and really doing a great job, plus at competitive rates too. As for the rear bushes, the outer axle pair were straightforward as expected. The delta link bushes were removed with care using an air chisel and without any special tool, again, these proved straightforward. Obviously, you need the correct equipment and having the vehicle elevated helps. They have just done the PCV system and next is the rear springs and dampers. All parts are from PFV. Jamie at PFV has been very helpful with advice.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 22:08   #15
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Here is the listing on Skandix

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...-axle/1061471/

I don't have the reinforcement bit myself, but I have done several bushes, always using the Volvo tool plus heat.

Hope that helps,
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 22:34   #16
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSarre View Post
Here is the listing on Skandix

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...-axle/1061471/

I don't have the reinforcement bit myself, but I have done several bushes, always using the Volvo tool plus heat.

Hope that helps,
Steve
All useful info ^^^^^

I note Skandix recommend removing the suspension arm completely and using rust penetrative fluid and hammer blows to loosen the rust on old arms before using the tool. Presumably we are all working on old arms hence the need for heat and gentle persuasion in addition to the tool. All good fun and games
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 10:24   #17
PSJVTHEBEST
VOC Member

Removing the suspension arm completely is a bigger job but I can understand how that would make things easier. I did think about changing the bush at the other end (the 'Transverse Arm Mounting' in the attached image from Matthews Volvo Site) but at the time I did mine I think I read that they rarely fail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Delta link.JPG (84.2 KB, 8 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to PSJVTHEBEST For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 06:46   #18
Slevin
Master Member

Just replaced these bushes on 3cars with the tool, 2 more to go. It can be a struggle even with the tool but for example the last one took only for 40 mins.
The tool is massive, did you use impact wrench on it?
Slevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 21:09   #19
SteveSarre
Premier Member

I probably did use an impact, but that would be for speed, not for impact, if you know what I mean.

When you heat the arm sufficiently the black plastic bushing melts and almost squirts out. The circumference of the bushing has collapsed and the pressure against the arm is greatly reduced.

At that point, you can screw the tool either with a ratchet driver or an impact, and pull the old bushing out.

But if you don't use heat, there is a risk that the impact will damage the tool.

I clean up the inside of the arm, to make it easier for the new bushing to slide in. I also chamfer the leading edge of the new bushing to make it easier to get started. I also put silicone grease on the inside of the arm.

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)

Last edited by SteveSarre; Apr 28th, 2024 at 21:13.
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post: