Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2014 V70 Front fog light switch

Views : 750

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2023, 15:53   #1
1981George

Default 2014 V70 Front fog light switch

Hello,
This might be a stupid question but how do I turn on the front fog lights?

I can't find a switch. There's a blank button above the rear fog light switch.
When I checked the manual it doesn't mention the front fog lights at all. It shows the light controls for my car and they are exactly like mine, with a blank button above the rear fogs that looks like a good location for the front fog light switch but is blank.

My car does have what look like front fog lights low down in the front bumper, they might be daylight running lights. Is there a way to turn them on if required?
I tried the button for the rear fogs to see if it brought the front fog lights on as well but it didnt.
1981George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2023, 17:21   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981George View Post
Hello,
This might be a stupid question but how do I turn on the front fog lights?

I can't find a switch. There's a blank button above the rear fog light switch.
When I checked the manual it doesn't mention the front fog lights at all. It shows the light controls for my car and they are exactly like mine, with a blank button above the rear fogs that looks like a good location for the front fog light switch but is blank.

My car does have what look like front fog lights low down in the front bumper, they might be daylight running lights. Is there a way to turn them on if required?
I tried the button for the rear fogs to see if it brought the front fog lights on as well but it didnt.
The button to turn on the front fog lights should be above the button for the rear ones (the one you're saying is blank). As its blank, it would appear that you haven't got any front fog lights.

As for the daytime running lights, they should be on anyway when the car is on? If they aren't, you may need to turn the light switch fully clockwise to the right.
Old Nov 29th, 2023, 20:45   #3
1981George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
The button to turn on the front fog lights should be above the button for the rear ones (the one you're saying is blank). As its blank, it would appear that you haven't got any front fog lights.

As for the daytime running lights, they should be on anyway when the car is on? If they aren't, you may need to turn the light switch fully clockwise to the right.
Thanks Kev, when I bought the car it looked like it had front fog lights which is pretty standard these days anyway. As I drove to work this morning it was foggy and I couldn't see the switch for the front fog lights.

I've put some photos of a very similar car to mine from a dealer on autotrader (a bit newer but otherwise the same).

The front of the car photo shows what to me look like front fog lights. They might be day light running lights, I've not checked if they're on in the daylight.

The second photo is the light controls image from the manual. The button for the rear fog lights is there, and there's a space above where I would expect the front fog lights to be. Every image of the light controls in the manual is like this. When the manual goes through an option my car doesn't have it will show the button and the name will have an asterisk after it explaining it's an option. There's nothing in the manual about front fog lights at all and not one image showing a switch for them.

I've included another image from the car on autotrader. Although it's not that clear this is an image with the driver's door open. The light controls can be seen but there is not a button above the rear fog light for the front fog light. Despite this being a car that looks like it has front fog lights.

Even if the lights I'm talking about aren't front fog lights, I'd like to be able to turn them on if needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front_of_car.jpg (87.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg light_controls.jpg (30.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg light_controls_2.jpg (104.4 KB, 12 views)
Old Nov 29th, 2023, 23:03   #4
george57l
George

Quote:
They might be day light running lights, I've not checked if they're on in the daylight.
I suggest you do check that. You do not have any fog lights and those things you think ARE fog lights are not - they do work, though, trust me.
george57l is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to george57l For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 04:10   #5
1981George

Quote:
Originally Posted by george57l View Post
I suggest you do check that. You do not have any fog lights and those things you think ARE fog lights are not - they do work, though, trust me.
Thanks, with it being winter it's dark when I go to work and dark when I come home but I'll check at lunchtime.
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 06:48   #6
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks, with it being winter it's dark when I go to work and dark when I come home but I'll check at lunchtime.
As far as I can tell, the daytime running lights are permanently on in my own 64-reg V70.

My car also has a blank button where the front fog lights button would be, and photos in Autotrader adverts reveal that the front fog light button was deleted when the 2013 facelift was introduced.
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 08:10   #7
Baffler
Premier Member

Yep...front fog lamps were deleted with the face-lift but the lamps are actually present. They are an LED which work in tandem with the headlamp DRL's (verticle strip) during daylight hours with the control switch set to AUTO. When daylight levels drop the fogs are deactivated once the headlamps are engaged.

Not sure the reasoning behind it but I guess those nice people in Sweden had a valid reason. Perhaps the Actice Bending Lamps being sufficient enough?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 09:23   #8
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Yep...front fog lamps were deleted with the face-lift but the lamps are actually present. They are an LED which work in tandem with the headlamp DRL's (verticle strip) during daylight hours with the control switch set to AUTO. When daylight levels drop the fogs are deactivated once the headlamps are engaged.

Not sure the reasoning behind it but I guess those nice people in Sweden had a valid reason. Perhaps the Actice Bending Lamps being sufficient enough?
The bendy xenon headlights are only standard on the SE Lux, but the fog light switch is missing on all trim levels......
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 12:06   #9
apersson850
Premier Member

We have two XC70. The one from 2012 does have front fog lights, and also dual switches for fog lights (front/rear).

The other one, from 2016, have DRL in the same position as the fog lights used to be. The DRL are on during daytime when the headlights are off, and vice versa when it gets dark. This works by itself with the light switch set to AUTO.
The switch then only handles the rear fog light.

There is no DRL up in the main headlight assembly. Just high/low beams and parking light.
The reason DRL goes off when it's dark is that they aren't aimed downwards, so they may be blinding in the dark.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 15:02   #10
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Kev, when I bought the car it looked like it had front fog lights which is pretty standard these days anyway. As I drove to work this morning it was foggy and I couldn't see the switch for the front fog lights.

I've put some photos of a very similar car to mine from a dealer on autotrader (a bit newer but otherwise the same).

The front of the car photo shows what to me look like front fog lights. They might be day light running lights, I've not checked if they're on in the daylight.

The second photo is the light controls image from the manual. The button for the rear fog lights is there, and there's a space above where I would expect the front fog lights to be. Every image of the light controls in the manual is like this. When the manual goes through an option my car doesn't have it will show the button and the name will have an asterisk after it explaining it's an option. There's nothing in the manual about front fog lights at all and not one image showing a switch for them.

I've included another image from the car on autotrader. Although it's not that clear this is an image with the driver's door open. The light controls can be seen but there is not a button above the rear fog light for the front fog light. Despite this being a car that looks like it has front fog lights.

Even if the lights I'm talking about aren't front fog lights, I'd like to be able to turn them on if needed.
It would appear those lights on your model year aren't actually fog lights, they're daytime running lights. Put the light control to "auto" and see if they come on.