Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'00 s40 t4, how bad are these things supposed to be on fuel?

Views : 1366

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 12:57   #1
Paul t4

Default '00 s40 t4, how bad are these things supposed to be on fuel?

On take off, no matter how I apply the accelerator or to what extent I apply it I'm hitting the maximum of the info centre's capabilities @ 25.5l/100km. Surely this can't be right?

During cruising and coasting conditions I'm getting between 2L-10L/100km witch seems pretty standard, but surely maxing out the info centre every time I move off from a stop isn't right.

I've just done the head gasket, timing belt, new volvo genuine plugs/coils/leads, new volvo genuine maf sensor and a full service and the car is running beautifully, not showing any codes at all, just very thirsty!
Even live data on my obdII tool is looking normal, very confused.

Anyone got any ideas on what could be causing this poor fuel usage?
Paul t4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 13:08   #2
fat tony
"Legitimate" Businessman

The main factor in fuel consumption on a T4 is how heavy your right foot is.
They are a fairly thirsty car anyway but if you enjoy the performance, they drink it like a tramp drinking special brew.

Tyres and steering alignment also make a difference, when I got a new set of tyres and had 4 wheel alignment done on mine, it made a big difference to my consumption.
If all the wheels are pointing the right way, the engine doesn't have to work as hard to get the car forward.

Another thing to look at is the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system. This can also affect the mpg

Ex-Junior Vice-President of the X40 In Dash Cup Holder Owners Club
fat tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 13:52   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul t4 View Post
On take off, no matter how I apply the accelerator or to what extent I apply it I'm hitting the maximum of the info centre's capabilities @ 25.5l/100km. Surely this can't be right?

During cruising and coasting conditions I'm getting between 2L-10L/100km witch seems pretty standard, but surely maxing out the info centre every time I move off from a stop isn't right.

I've just done the head gasket, timing belt, new volvo genuine plugs/coils/leads, new volvo genuine maf sensor and a full service and the car is running beautifully, not showing any codes at all, just very thirsty!
Even live data on my obdII tool is looking normal, very confused.

Anyone got any ideas on what could be causing this poor fuel usage?
yes that will be right , imagine driving for 100Km just taking off stopping taking off all the time you would easily use 25 litres of fuel !

The T4 engine is the most economical of the S/V40 petrol engines except for the GDI .
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 14:14   #4
Paul t4

So I should be maxing out the info centre readings no matter how I drive the car off the line?
Whether it be a slight touch of the throttle to a full wot take off?

The exhaust smells pretty rich at idle, and the car seems to be pretty gutless under 3000rpm is this normal too? I'm wondering if an O2 sensor or two are on their way out...
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 14:25   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul t4 View Post
So I should be maxing out the info centre readings no matter how I drive the car off the line?
Whether it be a slight touch of the throttle to a full wot take off?

The exhaust smells pretty rich at idle, and the car seems to be pretty gutless under 3000rpm is this normal too? I'm wondering if an O2 sensor or two are on their way out...
its easy to get poor figures when starting off same with all cars i would say . I cant comprehend what 25.5l/100km means in mpg .. but thats about 6 gallons per 60 miles or 10 mpg yes thats normal !

Gutless means hardly any power at all , however the engine does start to pull on the turbo from about 1500 rpm and by 3000 things should be shooting out of the cubby hole by the radio ...

The exhaust shouldnt smell unless you do a lot of short journeys ..

you will get the orange engine fault light on if there is any problem with the lambda probes .
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 14:31   #6
sortedt4

info center on mine says between 25/27 mpg normal round town driving

on a run its around 27/32

me dad used it for a long run and managed 34

i don't bother looking at the instant mpg

at the end of the day i like driving it and don't get bogged down with mpg to much....

but it can drink a lot of fuel if driven at track speeds

really for a powerful fun car i think its good on fuel...
sortedt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 14:45   #7
Paul t4

Just seems strange to me that this is the first car that I have owned or driven that has had the ability to max out the fuel consumption reading no matter how gently it is driven.
And I've driven some rather heavily modified cars..

As for the gutless comment, it's almost as if its flooding (like an old carbied car when you just go wot from idle), it hesitates then sluggishly moves off and once you get close to 3000 rpm it picks up and behaves like it should.
It has made for some pukering moments at busy T intersections that's for sure.

It's just my experience with cars if they are sluggish and smell like they are running rich, it's usually because they are running rich.

Could the o2 sensors be on their way out, but not at the stage of throwing the 'mil' light on quite yet?
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 15:40   #8
steveoxbrow1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
however the engine does start to pull on the turbo from about 1500 rpm and by 3000 things should be shooting out of the cubby hole by the radio ...
I myself have direct experience of this with my own V40.....

MPG on mine (auto,petrol) is around 31miles - 330ish miles to a tank. We're going to put some Redex in next time I fill the tank at end of this week. I have got between 350 and 370 miles before on a combination or urban and interurban driving. It rarely 'goes down to the shops now'
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 16:24   #9
sortedt4

i would cheek your coolant temp sender

10mpg is low
sortedt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2013, 23:43   #10
gazO2V40T4
Premier Member

The lowest I have had mine avg out at is 17mpg but that was with a heavy foot for about 10 miles chasing a Renault Clio 182 cup and he wasn't getting away I get 38 to 40 mpg on a long run and 28 to 30 mpg round town so I would suggest it is running very rich

2002 V40 T4
17" Arcadia's ,Boost Gauge ,Forge Dump Valve And Blanking Plate ,Front Upper Strut Brace
gazO2V40T4 is offline   Reply With Quote