Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

20" Wheels - excessive road noise

Views : 103730

Replies : 1289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 09:57   #1181
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
I ended up doing a similiar thing but have the contisilents and I am using them in the summer. 19" in the wintern to make do. I agree it could be much better after paying £55k and disappointed Volvo have not followed through with a more permanent fix. This is really the only big area for me that is a negative on a great car and would potentially make me look at alternatives if I was buying again, but not enough for me to change now.
+1, same here, If it were'nt for the noise I would buy another but I am put off buying any volvo in future, after having 7 volvo's I am now going to look else where for my next car.
This XC90 is not a premium car as advertised, poor suspension, atrocious road noise and ride quality. Not what I would expect from a car in this price bracket. Its an embarassment.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 16:38   #1182
Zoo21

119 pages - and still counting...

First time I have logged in for months and it's disappointing that some of the same owners way back in the early pages, are still unhappy with their XC90's.

I returned my new XC90 within three months of ownership and bought a new S-Line Q7 in February.
The Audi has never had an issue. Zero. The tyres are still great after 9k and the upholstery is like new. It's boring to look at but streets ahead of the Volvo in terms of power, torque, driving pleasure, comfort and toys - and I can adjust things without having to look down at that iPad. I'm sure the voice control is now great on the Volvo but to take your eyes off the road and go through a menu to adjust the climate - that's just not safe.

Didn't want to stir it all up for owners but I see looking through previous pages and other threads, that there are XC90 drivers considering Q7's - my experience...if the looks don't bother you - The new Q7 is the winner and just outstrips the Volvo in every way.
Zoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 17:14   #1183
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo21 View Post

Didn't want to stir it all up for owners but I see looking through previous pages and other threads, that there are XC90 drivers considering Q7's - my experience...if the looks don't bother you - The new Q7 is the winner and just outstrips the Volvo in every way.
It will most likely be my next car. It certainly wont be a Volvo.
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 18:29   #1184
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:

First time I have logged in for months and it's disappointing that some of the same owners way back in the early pages, are still unhappy with their XC90's.

I returned my new XC90 within three months of ownership and bought a new S-Line Q7 in February.
The Audi has never had an issue. Zero. The tyres are still great after 9k and the upholstery is like new. It's boring to look at but streets ahead of the Volvo in terms of power, torque, driving pleasure, comfort and toys - and I can adjust things without having to look down at that iPad. I'm sure the voice control is now great on the Volvo but to take your eyes off the road and go through a menu to adjust the climate - that's just not safe.

I can see where you are coming from. To get a similar spec to my Volvo would however cost me at least another 10k as a Q7.

:wq
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 18:34   #1185
ulstrup

Quote:
...but streets ahead of the Volvo in terms of power, torque, driving pleasure, comfort and toys
I'm sorry but this is maybe true for diesel/petrol engines XC90 but is technically
wrong for the T8.
I have driven both the Q7 E-tron and the T8 and the T8 is superior in all aspects
power
audi:373hp
volvo:407hp

torque:
audi: 700 nm(diesel)
volvo: 640 Nm

driving pleasure is subjective but the T8 is faster from 0 to 160 km/h, brakes shorter and, with the air suspensions, has a better stability.

regarding the ''toys'' I think they are, at least, on par.
and, for my taste, the volvo is more comfortable.

and last but not least, specs for specs the T8 is 25% cheaper.
ulstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ulstrup For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 19:33   #1186
neon
Premier Member

It is simpler for me Audi are crap at looking after Customers from my limited experience of them when looking for a new car. They lost my business twice because of this when looking for a A7 and Q7. I just cannot see past their arrogance. Others experience maybe different.

Last edited by neon; Oct 2nd, 2017 at 19:38.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 00:52   #1187
JAmaral
XC90 MY18 - PGray/MBrown

My MY18 came w/ Michelin Lattitude Sport 3 (on 20”), I have the air suspension and the noise is not an issue so far. It is not the quiest car on the road on uneven surfaces but definitively cant complain about road noise as I find it more than acceptable even though mine is a D4. I had a E class before and it was silent so either the problem was solved for the MY18 or it is just all about personal feelings/expectations. Given the number of complaints I reckon they realized there was a problem and solved it.

Over here a similar spec Q7 would have cost me at least another €15k - way out of my budget and therefore not comparable in my view. I am sure the Q7 is better otherwise there would be no excuse for the price difference. Of course some things should be better in the XC90 (I find the ac controls annoying as well) but I wouldn’t change it for any other car right now... very very happy!

Ps: I believe the e-tron can’t have the 7 seats, so for some guys that makes the T8 a no brainer...

Last edited by JAmaral; Oct 3rd, 2017 at 00:55. Reason: Forgot to say:
JAmaral is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JAmaral For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 09:49   #1188
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAmaral View Post

Over here a similar spec Q7 would have cost me at least another €15k - way out of my budget and therefore not comparable in my view. I am sure the Q7 is better otherwise there would be no excuse for the price difference. Of course some things should be better in the XC90 (I find the ac controls annoying as well) but I wouldn’t change it for any other car right now... very very happy!.
Thats why I opted for the XC90 over the Q7, but I am now driving a car I hate driving unless its on new smooth tarmac, so wish I had gone for the Q7. There are a lot of standard features and option I have on my XC90 I can live without and will not bother with in my next car. Much better to have a car you are happy with than toys.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Oct 3rd, 2017 at 09:52.
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 10:16   #1189
Zoo21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulstrup View Post
I'm sorry but this is maybe true for diesel/petrol engines XC90 but is technically
wrong for the T8.
Point taken and very valid, considering that in the very near future, Hybrid will be the norm.
I had a D5 Inscription with air and a very high spec and the new Q7 S-Line with technology and dynamic pack came in at the same price as the Volvo - although at list, it is priced much higher.
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 10:24   #1190
Zoo21

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
It is simpler for me Audi are crap at looking after Customers from my limited experience of them when looking for a new car. They lost my business twice because of this when looking for a A7 and Q7. I just cannot see past their arrogance. Others experience maybe different.
Couldn't agree with you more Neon (as I did much earlier with you through Volvo ownership on this forum). Audi personnel have a serious bedside issue but their cars work and I found the Volvo dealer just had their hands tied and were inept and slow at resolving the serious issues that I had with my car. I regret nothing about shifting marques.
We still have a 10 plate S60 D5 in the household and it drives perfectly and passes the MOT without fault.
I am just saddened that months on, this thread is still voicing people's (some) disappointment with the title.