Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aux belt and servicing times XC50 D5

Views : 1322

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2022, 11:33   #1
thebronze

Default Aux belt and servicing times XC50 D5

Hello - I've read a lot about the timings of the aux belt. I have the D5 5 Cylinder. I have a service agreement at a main dealer (one that I am very happy with). The car is up for its service in December and I have found out that the aux belt was last done at 40k 5 years ago the car is at around 49k now. My question is this. Would you pay to have the aux belt done now at this service as recommended by my dealer-at a cost of around £200. Or, as the car is due its cam belt change next year which is covered by the service plan, where I presume the aux belt will be done at the same time as that? Does anyone have any experience as to whether the aux belt is done as part of the cam belt service too and therefore covered by the plan?
thebronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 12:06   #2
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebronze View Post
Hello - I've read a lot about the timings of the aux belt. I have the D5 5 Cylinder. I have a service agreement at a main dealer (one that I am very happy with). The car is up for its service in December and I have found out that the aux belt was last done at 40k 5 years ago the car is at around 49k now. My question is this. Would you pay to have the aux belt done now at this service as recommended by my dealer-at a cost of around £200. Or, as the car is due its cam belt change next year which is covered by the service plan, where I presume the aux belt will be done at the same time as that? Does anyone have any experience as to whether the aux belt is done as part of the cam belt service too and therefore covered by the plan?
Not sure what an XC50 is or if just a typo but for my XC60 D5 I understand that aux belt intervals are 54k. The cambelt interval is 108k or 10 years and the aux belt and tensioner should be done with it.

So if your car is 10 years old then do all belts and tensioner if not then your dealer should not be suggesting anything really.

You really only doing 2k miles a year!

Last edited by RDesign4Life; Nov 19th, 2022 at 12:09.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 12:38   #3
Deck1ng
Master Member

If your main dealer is recommending you change belts again after only 9k and 5 years, I would change dealer.
Huttons at Benningbrough will do you a better deal than that. As RDesign4life pointed out, Aux belts every 54k, cam belt at 108k, or 10 years. Save yourself a few £, loyalty is costing you money.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 16:46   #4
thebronze

Yes a typo.. Sorry.. XC60. I've done very few miles haven't I! Okay so I need to go back to them and check. I really appreciate the heads up about Beningbrough though. My car is a 64 plate.
Old Nov 20th, 2022, 14:45   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
the aux belt should be changed every 54000miles or 10 years which ever comes first. It should fine until next time when the cambelt is done.

you say the cambelt is changed next year , is it due? 108000 miles or ten years which ever comes first...
Old Nov 21st, 2022, 14:25   #6
thebronze

Thank you for the replies. Yes the car will be 10 years old next year. I'm disappointed that my garage haven't given me good advice.. But the £200 is something I can do without having to spend unnecessarily so I'm grateful for the support here.
Old Nov 21st, 2022, 16:31   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thank you for the replies. Yes the car will be 10 years old next year. I'm disappointed that my garage haven't given me good advice.. But the £200 is something I can do without having to spend unnecessarily so I'm grateful for the support here.
Yes so you need the lot next year .
Old Nov 24th, 2022, 12:16   #8
Toprivetguns

We should really make this a sticky. Such a common question on cambelts and AUX belt etc.
Old Nov 24th, 2022, 17:55   #9
MacV50
Master Member

I thought the aux belt was 54k miles or 3 years whichever came first?

If it's 10 years, I would have waited until next year and had mine done with the cambelt next year but with all the horror stories of them destroying the cambelt and engine if they let go, I had mine done this year when it was 3 years old
Old Nov 24th, 2022, 22:00   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacV50 View Post
I thought the aux belt was 54k miles or 3 years whichever came first?

If it's 10 years, I would have waited until next year and had mine done with the cambelt next year but with all the horror stories of them destroying the cambelt and engine if they let go, I had mine done this year when it was 3 years old
where did you get 3 years from? Aux belt is 54000 MILES or 10 years The MILES are very Important rather than the time.