Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lumpy steering and engine hesitant on light acceleration

Views : 1435

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 6th, 2015, 23:26   #1
Stevenfife

Exclamation Lumpy steering and engine hesitant on light acceleration

Hi all, just bought a 52 plate v70 d5,
Has the dim fault which I have already researched and in progress of repairing.
Also it has a hesitation, shudder under light acceleration, once accelerator pressed down further no problems just when touching the accelerator this happens....any ideas?

Also when driving straight steering is fine but when I turn say round a roundabout the steering becomes lumpy, light on and off....is this the steering pump faulty or steering rack faulty or what do you suggest.

My main concern is the dim being repaired as no indicators or instrument panel info. But I need to get these other problems sorted too. I would be most grateful for any info.

Also the car seems to average 21mpg which is crap in my opinion for a diesel. It is an automatic, but 21mpg seriously crap. My dad has a s80 2.4 non turbo petrol and he get low 30's mpg. I thought buy the diesel would better the petrol mpg. Any suggestions as to what can be done to better mpg. Going to give the car a full service. Including fuel filter, check/clean maf and any other things that could cause poor mpg.

That all said, its a lovely car to drive and its a flying machine! Love the space and the built in subwoofer!
Only paid £450 for the car, done 111k. And seemingly had the timing belt done 20k ago.

This will be me my 5th Volvo I've owned, my first car was a 340gl back in the day, the. I've had 2 850s, 2.0 10v and 20v, I believe and then a v70 classic and now this v70. Glaf to be back to Volvo after the jag stype heap. I have mostly been a Saab/volvo man.

I look forward to your responses.

Steven
Stevenfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 23:45   #2
4candles
I've Been Banned

My first port of call would be check your ps fluid level...

then i'd change the pump for a second hand one, not a big job.

I'd be really hesitant to consider the rack, they are long lived and my own works smooth and faultless even considering its been on the WRONG fluid for years...

But to eliminate a fluid issue it may be worth doing a flush of the system and pouring in some of the proper Volvo 'green' Ps fluid, much as i don't believe it will help!

Last edited by 4candles; Oct 6th, 2015 at 23:55.
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2015, 11:06   #3
IJMOK

21 mpg!

Even with lots of local driving 40 mpg should be on the radar,

Best i ever managed was 65.5 MPG - checking it brim to brim going down to france in an 03 plate D5

These enginges are well known for injector issues, but you will need somone with VIDA to comfirm that,

Good luck

Rob
IJMOK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IJMOK For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2015, 17:52   #4
oragex
Premier Member

Does the steering feel the same when is turned in both directions (left and right)?
Old Oct 12th, 2015, 17:28   #5
Stevenfife

Exclamation

Steering seems to feel lumpy only when turning left but tbh I work alot and I've only had the chance of driving back from place of purchase, around 50miles. I'm off Friday and Saturday, my cluster is currently away to volvodiagnostic to be repaired and hopefully back before Thursday when I return home. Then I can drive the car from depot which is where its been since removing the cluster. Then I will be able to have a good look. I did notice that the power steering pump whistling though and clunking coming from front left hand side, so these all may be connected. Overall though I'm impressed with the car especially for £450. I'll be giving it a good service and check injector seals etc and any advise on what should be done service wise would be grateful. Things that could be cleaned/checked ie egr valve sensors etc.
Old Oct 12th, 2015, 17:31   #6
Stevenfife

Forgot to mention that I have automatic transmission fluid 8ltrs from when I was replacing stype fluid. Will this be the same for the Volvo box? I do remember the fluid was a pain in the arse to fathom out for the jag as jag said it needed special expensive stuff which I then googled and found alternative, and cheaper....
Old Oct 12th, 2015, 19:11   #7
4candles
I've Been Banned

ooo, you can't go putting the wrong stuff in, it might make it work properly..

4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2015, 19:42   #8
Rover Saloon

Default steering rack

sorry to be a pessimist but your description of 'lumpy' steering is precisely what I had and a new rack was the cure. I did it myself but it's quite a fair sized job. If you need more info on the swap. there's quite a bit already on this forum but get back to me if you need more advice.
Rover Saloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2015, 21:24   #9
Stevenfife

Smile

Thanks for the replies

I haven't had a real chance to investigate the steering issue but I have checked Ps levels and its OK. So next port of call would be, jack the car up and check the rack, bushes etc. I have noticed the pump whines abit. But looking at the symptoms, it to me sounds like the rack is goosed. ,if it were the pump then steering would be lumpy both ways rather than just left hand.
I had steering rack problems in my jag, so I'm pretty gend up with rack replacement. Wished the Volvo didn't have rack issues but hey Hoy. £450 for the car. Upullit scrapyard 2mins along the road from me so not to bad. Just lack the time as I'm a coach tour driver. Only got Friday Saturday off this week and away again Sunday to Thursday. Mrs will defo not like me if I say "I'm working on the Volvo on my days off" lol.
Steering issue sounds quite straight forward. My main issue is the hesitation when cruising under light acceleration......got my cluster repaired as that was knacked, so still a few things todo. Plus give it a good service including fuel filter etc.
Old Oct 14th, 2015, 08:26   #10
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

The lower joint on the steering shaft can become stiff. It is low down and certainly exposed to mank getting thrown up from the front wheel and it's hot from the manifold, so a prime location for corrosion.

When the engine is cold, I would get down there with a can of spray oil, like GT40, WD40 etc. None of those last in the heat, but will definitely show up if it's gone stiff.

I succesfully sorted out the lumpy steering problem on my previous V70 this way. I never got round to changing the joint, but when it kept becoming lumpy - once a year or so - I would get down there with some high temp spray grease. This was after I spent a load of money on replacing the reservoir and new fluid which made no difference.

As above, I would say that a rack is unlikely as I don't see why it would wear out in certain areas. The usual way to chack for a rack failure is when they get so loose that they start weeping fluid; check there's fluid in the reservoir and check for signs of leaks down at the boots on the sides of the rack - squeeze them and make sure they're not full of fluid.

I told the guy I sold it to, but have never heard him say anything since he's had it so I guess it's still OK.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL

Last edited by swedishandgerman; Oct 14th, 2015 at 08:33.
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:

Tags
automatic, dim, light acceleration, loss of power, power steering