Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2007 S60 D5 Sport Loss of Power - Please Help

Views : 2044

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 09:49   #1
Orpheus14

Unhappy 2007 S60 D5 Sport Loss of Power - Please Help

Hi all.

Please help!!! The dreaded swirl arm came off. I repaired the arm and made a diy fix. Not a problem. But since then the car has lost it's power. It accelerates, but gradual. When I put my foot down it just slowly picks up. It runs at 80mph no problem but takes ages to get there. If I keep the revs constant ie 300 rpm it hesitates then picks up intermittently. Codes read by local Bosch service centre - Swirl Chamber/Flaps issue! They want to take the top of the engine apart before even finding what is wrong. I see a massive bill. I have worked on cars before, but this engine seems a nightmare with all the fuel pipes running over the top of the engine. Pressing the trip in and starting the car shows 040 code on dash - 02 sensor? I've been looking at EGR valve threads, but again, a tough job to remove. The car feels as though it's not getting enough air ie a blockage or something? Engine Service and Soot Filter Full message every time I start the car. The car goes to Cornwall regular and I have always given it a blast up motorway. I'm thinking that when I repaired the Swirl Arm I haven't reset something maybe?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Orpheus14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 10:15   #2
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

You need to repair the swirl arm
Properly and follow the fault codes. What does your repair consist of? Have you just made it so the swirl flaps are open all the time or does it work as it should, ie the arm connected to the motor and it calibrates it self properly? You could have damage to the swirl flaps internaly which is why they want to take the inlet manifold off so they can check the whole system. Be easy to repair it properly whilst it's apart. To do this the injectors need to be removed. You will need brand new injector fitting kits as well as the fuel pipes as these are one use only however some have reused and been ok. The gasket is rubber so should be ok.

You also need to see why you have soot filter full? Was there any codes relating to this, have you had a rise in oil level? If no codes are found then you may need to the volvo vida system to get correct diagnosis. Guessing becomes expensive and these cars ain't cheap to fix to start with.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux

Last edited by GrahamBrown1; Jan 3rd, 2015 at 10:19.
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 11:57   #3
KBB
Master Tech

With a swirl arm fault code in the system it will no allow a passive DPF regen.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 12:05   #4
Orpheus14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
You need to repair the swirl arm
Properly and follow the fault codes. What does your repair consist of? Have you just made it so the swirl flaps are open all the time or does it work as it should, ie the arm connected to the motor and it calibrates it self properly? You could have damage to the swirl flaps internaly which is why they want to take the inlet manifold off so they can check the whole system. Be easy to repair it properly whilst it's apart. To do this the injectors need to be removed. You will need brand new injector fitting kits as well as the fuel pipes as these are one use only however some have reused and been ok. The gasket is rubber so should be ok.

You also need to see why you have soot filter full? Was there any codes relating to this, have you had a rise in oil level? If no codes are found then you may need to the volvo vida system to get correct diagnosis. Guessing becomes expensive and these cars ain't cheap to fix to start with.
Thanks.

Swirl Arm repaired as it should and calibrating, but no change! Could it be the ECM needs resetting, although I have taken the battery off for a time but hasn't reset! ??? When you say damage to internals can you explain/describe?
Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 12:28   #5
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BJI8_PMkBsk

If this link works these are the internal swirl flaps. Obviously the link arm connects to one end but it may not be actually doing anything if a part on the swirl flaps rail shall we call it is broken. So they may be in a different position to what the arm is doing if that makes sense. So a strip down is the only way to tell. They are a wearing item tho more the arm than the flaps them selves but it's not unheard of if the car has a few miles on it. If it were mine I would be taking the manifold off before anything else. It is fairly straight forward as long as the injectors come out easy enough its just the cost of the volvo parts that makes it expensive.

Disconnecting the batery wont help as there is an actual fault so as soon as the engine is started it will give the messages again.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux

Last edited by GrahamBrown1; Jan 3rd, 2015 at 12:30.
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 14:01   #6
Orpheus14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BJI8_PMkBsk

If this link works these are the internal swirl flaps. Obviously the link arm connects to one end but it may not be actually doing anything if a part on the swirl flaps rail shall we call it is broken. So they may be in a different position to what the arm is doing if that makes sense. So a strip down is the only way to tell. They are a wearing item tho more the arm than the flaps them selves but it's not unheard of if the car has a few miles on it. If it were mine I would be taking the manifold off before anything else. It is fairly straight forward as long as the injectors come out easy enough its just the cost of the volvo parts that makes it expensive.

Disconnecting the batery wont help as there is an actual fault so as soon as the engine is started it will give the messages again.
Hi Graham.

I've been out checking around the engine bay and I disconnected the MAF connector (Don't know why exactly) and the connector that is close to the swirl arm. Something, I assume the fan, reacted and started to speed up quite dramatically. I plugged the connector back in and it calmed down. I took the car for a run and now I have some power back? It accelerates much better but still nowhere near as good as it should. I'm going to take the air flow gubbings apart tomorrow and clean the MAF etc just to see if for some reason the car is getting wrong info as to air/mixture etc.
Old Jan 11th, 2015, 22:45   #7
solly

Hi
Recently had a similar issue, ('06 S60 D5 sport) we changed the throttle body and cleaned the EGR and it was better. but still got Soot filter message and intermittent low power/fault codes
Fault codes pointed at MAF sensor so bought a secondhand original one, but before this could be fitted and while driving it to work I had a loud "pop" and massive power loss. This turned out to be one of the turbo pipes blowing off, and breaking the bracket. This was refitted and repaired, we have had no further issues, the car is driving as fast and responsively as it ever has. We haven't yet fitted the MAF sensor, my tech reckons the pipe may have been loosening up / or the bracket had broken and stressed the pipe until it fell off
Hope that helps
solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 06:51   #8
paulplom

We've had our 2005 v70 2.4d for nearly 4 years now. The swirl arm has never been connected in all this time. The motor thing moves but doesn't do anything. This has never given us any trouble and the car runs as well as the day we got it. Maybe the issue is not the swirl flaps.
paulplom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 17:05   #9
Jetmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulplom View Post
We've had our 2005 v70 2.4d for nearly 4 years now. The swirl arm has never been connected in all this time. The motor thing moves but doesn't do anything. This has never given us any trouble and the car runs as well as the day we got it. Maybe the issue is not the swirl flaps.
Me too, well 3 years anyway. No issues at all. There is a stored fault for the swirl actuator out of calibration, but it has no effect that I have noticed.
I would think that the soot filter full condition is causing most of your issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jetmech For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2015, 12:35   #10
rat840771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmech View Post
Me too, well 3 years anyway. No issues at all. There is a stored fault for the swirl actuator out of calibration, but it has no effect that I have noticed.
I would think that the soot filter full condition is causing most of your issues.
Me too, I have bought the pin and lock washer to fix but have never got round to reconnecting it. I do recall when I had the original loss of power and it was when I was flat out in 6th and reached 3500rpm and suddenly the car cut out and threw up a message. I went to the Garage and they cleared the Maf sensor message and now I just don't take the car to over 3500prm in 6th, the off blip above this appears to be ok in other gears.

I generally set the flaps to the mid point and the car appears to be happy.
rat840771 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loss of power, s60 d5 2006, soot filter, swirl flaps