Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How Cool (or Warm) is your D5 Diesel in Winter?

Views : 5643

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 06:14   #31
Ahtif

I'm not 100% sure that given temp is accurate. New thermostat housing came with temp sensor, so I hope it shows accurate readings, but today hopefully I have a chance to test it with VIDA.

Maybe this bluetooth device shows incorrect readings..
Ahtif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 21:56   #32
5cilinder
Premier Member

If you are not sure the temperature sensor is accurate . then reading it out with different tools wont help you
because they all get the same signal from the possibly faulty sensor.
So measure the temperature with an independant sensor/meter to be sure or rule it out.
If the thermostat is faulty it will show with the same temperature on both sensors/meters
If they read differently than the thermostat is ok and the sensor faulty
No more flavours than this
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 07:48   #33
Ahtif

Just final update.

Seems that engine is so efficient that it won't get any warmer without additional diesel heater. Thremostat is OK, sensor is OK.

Planning to get one for the next winter.
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 13:55   #34
5cilinder
Premier Member

If your planning to drive with the pre heater on your engine isnt efficient anymore
I also doubt that your engine is more efficient than the engines of ours in this thread to stick to just 68c while driving
There is something wrong. Sort it out
Old Feb 16th, 2017, 19:04   #35
Ahtif

By efficient I meant that exhaust gas temp is so low. But as other users replied, engine temp should be at least 80-85.

Anyway, I'm planning to make another visit to different Volvo dealer, maybe they have some ideas. Now I have spent hundreds of euros to sort it out without any luck.

Today it was +4C and I got 71C. Good for me.

Still, I'm open for any suggestions.
Old Feb 16th, 2017, 21:44   #36
5cilinder
Premier Member

Dont go to the volvo dealer
Autistic trial and error on your expences, find a good pragmatic down to earth mechanic
They should be ashamed to sent you away as a boyscout with the "ëfficient engine"remark when there is obviously something wrong and they didnt fix it despite the enormous bill

Suggestions? Thermostat or sensor like i said, did YOU measure it yourself with a different tempprobe like i suggested? NOT hard to do nor expensive .sea of information assumptions they did what whats required is not 100% to be sure . even if an hefty bill SUGGESTS otherwise
Ur call

And dont forget like mentioned , dpf regenerations need at least 75C to start regenerations. could mean trouble even if the temp is ok but the sensor sends a lower temp to the ecu

Last edited by 5cilinder; Feb 16th, 2017 at 22:04.
Old Feb 17th, 2017, 13:02   #37
Ahtif

I used multimeter with temp probe.. got 43C in coolant tank.

How to test a temp sensor: resistance is only way? I have two temp sensors, one is oled and the other one is new which was with the thermostat housing. Both give same readings.

Can I test it this way: I'll remove connector from the temp sensor and plug it another one which I have (the old one). Then I'll put it into hot water (of course only the tip of the temp sensor) and turn the ignition on and check the coolant temp? At the same time I'll measure hot water temp with multimeter and in the readings are quite equal, then temp sensor is working?
Old Feb 17th, 2017, 13:51   #38
5cilinder
Premier Member

Coolanttank is not a very relaiable place to get correct readings

Yes that seperate hot water measurement with 2 sensors is a perfect way to check.
Measure the hot water also with a thermometer to make sure they are not both broken
Do also a measurement at different cooler stages
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 19:03   #39
Ahtif

Well, to sum up my story with the D5 engine temp, then 90 degrees C is impossible under slight load. And there's nothing wrong with the car. As mentioned before, I have D5244T10 engine (2011. year). Before that, Volvo used thermostat in metal case (aluminium), from the year 2011, they used plastic case, located in different places. 2012. year they changed coolant pipe, which starts from radiator and goes to thermostat.

So, low engine temp is caused by bypass valve flow, which goes to radiator, but it should go to engine. Just physics, warm coolant will flow trough radiator (it's easier way), but it shouldn't.

Maybe it's not the easiest explanation, but if you take a look at the coolant pipe, then you'll notice the difference between pre 2012 year and after that.
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 23:39   #40
Pliggen

Default Same issue with my v50 d5 08

I have the same issue, my temp meter only reaches halfway to middle after 15km running in 0degC. This is with the preheated off. If I use preheated while running it get almost to middle or the mark before. Checking Vida temp never goes over 70degC. I have renovated the preheated. I have tried to different thermostats, I've boiled the and checked that they opens at 90degC. Which more part are in the coolant system that can make this issue? Also the car have never had this issue before, even when it has been -10-20degC utside the car has run to middle on temp meter. One thing I've noticed is that there is no overpressure in the expansion tank. Does anyone have any idea what to check next? I'm out of ideas 😒 Thanks
Pliggen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant temperature