Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alloy Security (Cross posted to PCS, 900, and

Views : 940

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 13:59   #1
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Default Alloy Security (Cross posted to PCS, 900, and

I went out today, and noticed that one of the chrome nuts was missing and the *security nut* was loose on dads 940. Someone has obviously tried to pinch his rather nice 5-spokes (kinda like T5 ones, but squarer), but was presumably disturbed half way through.

First question:
HOW ON EARTH DID THEY GET THE SECURITY NUT UNDONE?!
is the pattern *really* unique, or just unique to volvos?

Second question:
Is there a big market for these alloys? they are pretty rare i guess (only ever seen 2 other sets)

Third question:
What do we do? The current star-pattern security nuts are clearly neither an effective deterrant, nor effective full stop! A friend had some excellent locking nuts (with a key) on his BMW. We live in a pretty crime-free part of the world, and a 940 (despite being one of the nicest ones out there - a '97 2.3 turbo CD - will post some pics some time) is hardly the number one target of most crims.

Some of you folks must face serious problems with security, so what can we do? I dont think the idea of coming back to find the car on bricks (or worse, just on its brake discs) will appeal to dad too much. and the car is 'about', and the crims know they can get the wheels off if they want. now where do i get those flame jet things from...! :)

Final question:
I have assumed that this was an attempt to pinch the alloys, but how plausible is it that two nuts next to each other could come loose, especially given that I keep a very careful eye on that sort of thing? To put my attention to detail in perspective, I was only walking past the car to get a lift when I spotted it - not when I was inspecing the car.

cheers

james

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2002, 16:54   #2
Jamie B

Default RE: Alloy Security (Cross posted to PCS, 900,

Hmmm, will we ever be able to stop the really determined crook? I bought a set of locking wheel nuts a few days ago, there are many different types to choose from, but I'd say that most of them are just to deter those 'slightly more than opportunist' thieves. I think that with a bit of effort I could get the ones I have off without the keyed adapter, James, were the ones on your Dad's car damaged in any way? Was the wheel finish scratched around the nut?

Loose wheel nuts? If you can be totally sure that:
-the nuts were all correctly re-torqued after the last time the wheel was off the car,
-that the hub/wheel/nuts weren't hot when refitted,
-the wheel hasn't been knocked hard or kerbed since then,
-and it's balanced properly,
then I'd probably say the two loose ones could well be suspicious.

There is a market for nice alloys, how big I'm not sure, especially for RWD Volvo ones (maybe most crooks don't know about the different offset), but I have heard several times of alloy wheels being stolen to order. Some times it's just the tyres they're after, new wide, low profile tyres are really expensive. A chap I know bought 4 different sets of locking wheel nuts for his car, cost him over a £100, but the new 18" mag alloy wheels and new Pirrelli P-zeros are worth a whole lot more!

My last 240 (class winner 2001 Northern BKV) got vandalised while parked on the street in Huddersfield and suffer attempted theft in Sheffield. My newly purchased 240GLT and my 940S sit outside in Oldham, and the high concentration of car crime is always worrying me. I have my freshly refurbished 940 alloys in the spare room, soon to have new tyres, they look great to me, but maybe even better to a thief. I would prefer not to spend 100+ quid on locking nuts, I'll probably just stick to the one set (two at a push), as you said James, "what can we do?".

Best regards,

Jamie B. - dreaming of a small house with a big garage ;-)

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 17:14   #3
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I think I will probably get a set with a (literal) key and lock, as (short of drilling throught them...which would be difficult as the outer chuck spins) they were more of less indestructible. i will use both types, but nothing will ultimately stop them, as you quite rightly say!

There was no damage to the wheel or nut - clearly someone with the right tool - do you think its worth putting the car in the garage, as someone may be trying to get those specific wheels? we have a garage, but the 360 fits better in it, so the 940 stays outside!

I am still struggling to coprehend this though. It looks increasingly like an expert (how many opportunist theives have volvo alloy keys on them?!), but its a very quiet suburban area with virtually no car crime. bizarre...!

cheers

james

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2002, 09:51   #4
a15htn

James,

This is rapidly becoming the James, Jamie & Jim thread (as I get called all of the above !)

I suggest you don't get the key type BMW locks.... even BMW think they're a bit naff (as you can tear the locking head off and jam a hex key inside to remove them :( )

My own favourites are by 'Trilock' I beleive. They have a very shallow head (which stays well inside the wheel hole) and a sliding outer collar so you can't bash something on to them to turn them.

The 'key' is like a socket with 3 offset lugs and the 'nut' has matching 3 offset holes. They are about £15 / £20 per set and when I lost a key (on my BMW) the garage took 5 hours to patiently drill the heads off. This was because they are shallow and sit very deep in the wheel, therefore there is no levarage from the side to chisel them out and with the sliding outer ring the 'Smack a socked on with a sledgehammer' method won't work (i hope)

My car has 17" Volans on it and is regularly left lying about in Luton airport carpark without any hassle (fingers crossed for next week ;) )

Jim,
'96 855-R (The Flying Wardrobe)
Old Jun 19th, 2002, 00:04   #5
Jamie B

> ...the James, Jamie & Jim thread (as I get
> called all of the above !)

Me too :-) Why have one name when three will do!

From your description Jim, those locking wheel nuts sound identical to the ones I just bought, only mine are badged 'Evo locks', £20 from a local shop. They state on the box "Approved and used by Ford, Landrover, Fiat, Proton, Rover, Saab, Toyota and Vauxhall", but even with all those big company approvals, it's still nice to know that someone else has made the same choice and is happy with it ;-)

Cheers,

Jamie B.