Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine knock

Views : 231

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2024, 17:29   #1
MPE

Default Engine knock

Hello all, I have searched everywhere for an answer to my V70 D5 knock 2006 car 135,000 miles. It has been there for two years but recently is getting worryingly loud.

Performance good and 43 mpg.
It is not the normal 'sewing machine' rattle / knock, but much slower on tick-over increasing with engine speed.
THE FIRST SECOND or two there is no knock. I have tried listen in oil filler cap, can't hear the knock there. Tried screwdriver in the ear to listen to injectors, nothing odd that I can hear. Any genius got any ideas ?. Thanks
MPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 18:14   #2
Lancee
Premier Member

Vacuum pump ? Although not likely to be loud.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 19:02   #3
MPE

Default Vacuum pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
Vacuum pump ? Although not likely to be loud.
Thanks LANCEE, I'll have a look at that. Can I check it by listening with a stethescope? Or is there a better way? Thanks
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 19:37   #4
Lancee
Premier Member

On top of the engine, right hand side.

But to be honest it could be so many things. hydraulic lifters also springs to mind, although I will admit to only having some limited knowledge, which can be dangerous.

I suspect whatever it is you will likely need professional help, so why not just go to a Volvo garage, an independent should be cheaper, and get a diagnosis from them ?

You can waste an awful lot of time and money on the wrong things, so be aware.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 20:27   #5
MPE

On top of the engine, right hand side.

But to be honest it could be so many things. hydraulic lifters also springs to mind, although I will admit to only having some limited knowledge, which can be dangerous.

I suspect whatever it is you will likely need professional help, so why not just go to a Volvo garage, an independent should be cheaper, and get a diagnosis from them ?

You can waste an awful lot of time and money on the wrong things, so be aware.[/QUOTE]

I went home, checked the forums and dozens and dozens of members said replace the "O" rings, and of course they were spot-on. THREE CHEERS for all the helpful people on the forum.

Last edited by MPE; Apr 28th, 2024 at 21:15.
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 22:46   #6
wynnj
Master Member

Top engine mount (top of engine on nearside) is easy to see and diagnose, and easy to replace with a modicum of mechanical skill and basic tools. It would be where I would look first. I speak as one who searched elsewhere and ignored the obvious on a XC90!!!
wynnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2024, 07:54   #7
MPE

Thanks WYNNJ, I am 100% sure it is the engine because of the 'rythm' of the knock and the ratio of the knock to the engine speed.

I have replaced all three of the mounts on the crossbar at the top of the engine.