Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70R 2004 Jap Import, Reverse Display Issue

Views : 445

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2024, 16:45   #1
Oxi

Default V70R 2004 Jap Import, Reverse Display Issue

Hey all,

I've been trawling various forums looking for some info on a problem I'm having. What I'm trying to do is use a RTI display as a reverse display on a 2004 V70R. Currently when put in reverse the display doesn't extend and the screen doesn't turn on.

The whole RTI system was removed when imported into the UK except the camera and cables. I purchased a display off of another V70 of similar year and plugged it in hoping for an easy job with no success.

So far I've had the boot cover off and checked all fuses which are ok. I noticed a small circuit board near the camera, not sure what it does but all seems well and nothing blown (attached photo). Followed the cables from the camera with nothing disconnected. I've tested the motor of the display which works and extends and retracts fine.

Maybe its not being triggered by selecting reverse, but I've no idea where to look with that, can't find much on VIDA.

Has anyone any experience with this?

Cheers,

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240414_140821.jpg (117.4 KB, 18 views)
Oxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 13:11   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Q: RTI means what?

Was it not the case that some screens were only good for audio system data but not feed from a backup camera?
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 15:49   #3
Oxi

I think RTI stands for Road and Traffic Information, basically was a satnav by the looks of it but was also used as a reversing camera.

I'm not sure, haven't seen a screen for audio data online without using an adapter for the old Ipods
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 16:02   #4
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

never seen one displaying a reverse camera view but it may be the case I suppose

I have read of people modifying them by inserting some sort of Pi interface and interpreting signals from the canbus although that sounds like an overly complicated method when you could just take 12v from the reversing light. the trailer plug connector in the boot isn't monitored so it won't throw up light bulb warnings, I use that to trigger my normal reversing camera just in a normal double din unit

so you really just need some sort of simple controller to detect that 12v input and motor the screen up, switch the screen on and display the camera view, which is a bit of a faff but doesn't sound that outrageously difficult

quite what quality of view you will get and whether the input type might need converting to another type i couldn't say

if you could find a more modern screen that fits in the old housing as a replacement for whatever was in there originally you may find inputs are more compatible and the display is brighter and much nicer looking

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Apr 15th, 2024 at 16:07.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 16:09   #5
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

having said that I may have misunderstood, is the camera a factory fitted item or is this something you've added and hoping to sort of 'hack' into the old RTI system

mini project - link
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 19:19   #6
Oxi

Yeah I've seen a few that use a Pi to make it work, might have to do that to make it work. Was hoping it was a stock option so could just plug in and go.

I'll have another look at the wiring of that circuit board I found, perhaps that is some sort of controller for 12v like you mentioned.

Managed to get one of the old pricing brochures for the car which talks about the RTI system as an option but no sign of a rear camera, must be a mod.

I noticed one day when cleaning the car a camera near license plate and I believe the previous owner added it in Japan, no sign of a display unless they replaced the radio with something more modern. May take the radio out to see if the the cable from the camera is there.

Finding all kinds of odd things on this car and bits that need some work, cars only done about 33k miles.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 19:42   #7
wynnj
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxi View Post
May take the radio out to see if the the cable from the camera is there.

Don't forget to disconnect the battery before removing the radio/ CCM. They are liable to throw up a SRS warning if you disconnect with the power on, which can't be cleared without an appropriate tool e.g. VIDA..
wynnj is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wynnj For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 20:52   #8
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

it may have been just a small screen like a dashcam with a sucker pad to the window or dash

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lines%E3%80...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

2004 is some time ago bear in mind though, if it was original you'd probably want to update the camera with something a little more modern anyway I reckon

mini project - link
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 11:57   #9
Oxi

Morning chaps,

Little update, I found where the camera wire leads to and indeed its connected to the rear lights (far right dark blue cable in 1st image). Just need to confirm it leads to the reversing lights.

I've had the radio cluster partly removed and managed to sneak my phone behind to photo the wiring. Other than old deteriorated foam there's no sign of a red and black striped cable leading to that area. (Last 4 images).

Not too sure where that cable is leading to now so going to work my way back up the car a bit, think I'll start with the side panel of the passenger footwell, VIDA shows the wiring routing through there before getting to the center dash area.

Thanks for all your help so far!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240416_122432.jpg (118.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg VideoCapture_20240420-114324.jpg (126.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg VideoCapture_20240420-114312.jpg (123.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg VideoCapture_20240420-114230.jpg (79.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg VideoCapture_20240420-114237.jpg (105.8 KB, 4 views)