Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 is now running finally, but........

Views : 766

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2012, 13:13   #1
chomerly

Default V40 is now running finally, but........

Thanks to Mitchboy for selling me a set of coil packs and leads and also a rear lambda, my car is finally running right.
But, there are still a couple of issues that are proving to be annoying.

The first is this annoying metallic clunking that happens every time i accelerate, or take my foot off the accelerator prior to changing gear.
And it only happens when the car/engine is cold.
I'm guessing that this maybe the drive shaft on the drivers side.
The gators are all intact and good condition and there is no play that i can feel when pulling the wheel in and out. Nor is the sound heard if i spin the wheel from side to side.

Whatever it is it's becoming highly annoying.

The second issue i have is the fuel pump.

I purchased a replacement as my original Walbro pump kept on locking up until eventually it packed in all together.
Luckily i had already purchased the replacement pump but just hadn't gotten around to fitting until this stage.

Anyway, fitting the new pump revealed the old filter and the new one were completely different.
I decided to not fit the filter that came with the new pump and i soon found out what happens when you turn corners or go uphill on a low tank of fuel.
Eventually i cut up the new filter to get it to fit into the swirl pot for the sender unit and this improved the problem greatly but didn't cure it completely.
I can now drive around corners and up hill when i have just one white bar left above the red on the gauge.

The issue that isn't resolved is the stuttering, or loss of power, when i'm driving with anything less than a quarter of a tank of fuel and the turbo kicks in.
Sometimes there is an immediate drop of power that jerks you forward.

The aftermarket pump i had purchased is basically the same as this one.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GS342-HRC-...item3a7ae3c8cc

The filters are pretty much identical.

Is there another way, or any other type of filter that any of you modders have used, that i can use, that would be perfect for a phase 1 pump and sender unit?

Now for the final thing.

Last Saturday, i jumped in the car to go to work and when i turned the ignition on, there was this clicking sound coming from the dash area on the passenger side.
It is almost like something has got stuck in a fan and it keeps clicking for around 15 - 20 seconds and then it will stop.
When you start the engine up this clicking sound will start again but will be a little faster and again, it will keep doing it for around 15 - 20 seconds and it will stop.

It only does this on pre-ignition or after starting the car and for the life of me i cannot find where it is coming from.
You can hear in the car and out of it too.

Any ideas?
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 13:33   #2
stevo48
Premier Member

Re - the clicking sound, it will most likely be the air recirculating flap sticking, common fault on the s/v40. http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...7&postcount=27

The clonk upon accelerating could be gearbox mounting, arb bushes, droplinks, balljoints (top or bottom), engine mounting (top, rear, or bottom).
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevo48 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 15:44   #3
Haizum74
Master Member

With regards to the clonking, does it happen when going over any bumps or slight potholes?

'08 V50 2.0D
Haizum74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 18:36   #4
chomerly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haizum74 View Post
With regards to the clonking, does it happen when going over any bumps or slight potholes?
Hi,

No. Only when accelerating or decelerating and only when the engine is cold.

I have tried to record the sound but it doesn't come through with all the ambient noise in the car.

I do know that the engine mounts need to be replaced and i have got to do that. It may also be a case of changing the side and gearbox mounts as Stevo stated too.
The one thing that isn't explained by that though is how the noise will go away when the engine is warmed up which put in the direction of the drive shaft.
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 18:40   #5
chomerly

After doing some searching online i may have found a solution to my fuel filter issue.

I've managed to find a filter that, in theory, should be much better than the cut down one i have now.
The difficulty with finding one that was appropriate was because of the fuel filters inlet neck which is 11mm in diameter.
This meant the filters i could use were reduced as the standard size for our cars are around 19mm - 22mm in size.

Anyway, for anyone looking for a filter which, if it still needed to be cut down would be much better, then here's a link.

http://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/in-...ing-1972-p.asp
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 20:00   #6
mitchyboy01
Premier Member

Hi Stu,

I'm glad after the Royal Mail mess up the parts are finally on the car and are working correctly.

As for your pump problem, on the phase 2 the GSS342 is a direct replacement with no modding, i couldn't belive how easy it was after the fiddling I had to do when I fitted one to the P1. On the phase 1 it is very hard to get it working correctly as the phase 1 has a completely different sender unit and filter. It's a compromise at best but it is possible as some people have been successful without starvation issues. Mine wasn't too bad on my P1 but on hard cornering or steep hills accelerating it would sometimes stutter. I fitted it to my P2 and it was a direct relacement apart from having the file down some plastic to slide the pump in.

Stage 5 Saab 9-3 Aero V6 2.8T. 372bhp. 677nm.

Last edited by mitchyboy01; Nov 9th, 2012 at 20:17.
mitchyboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2012, 22:16   #7
Dazza007
Dazza007

Default engine mountings

when my engine mountings failed i got a vibration when I turned right in a hard bend. This then snapped the mounting on the offside end of the engine. The engine was held in by 1 mounting! So be careful and get it looked at. Any garage Will tell you Whats wrong with it for free. Only charge to fix it.
Dazza007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2012, 23:20   #8
chomerly

I have a bit of an update on the noise i experience when driving the car from cold.

I had the front tyres changed today and while the wheels were off i had a look around and felt for any play in the drive shafts and any ripped gators.
The gators themselves are all intact and look in good shape.
The passenger side front driveshaft had about as much play as i would have expected for a part that is constantly on the move.
The drivers side seemed in pretty good order too but when pulling backwards and forwards on it there seemed to be a little bit more play in it that on the passenger side.

My aim will be to get the bottom engine mounts changed first and then i will look to something more serious and costly at a later time should it not be corrected by a simple change.
Old Nov 15th, 2012, 00:31   #9
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomerly View Post
The first is this annoying metallic clunking that happens every time i accelerate, or take my foot off the accelerator prior to changing gear.
And it only happens when the car/engine is cold.
I'm guessing that this maybe the drive shaft on the drivers side.
The gators are all intact and good condition and there is no play that i can feel when pulling the wheel in and out. Nor is the sound heard if i spin the wheel from side to side.

Whatever it is it's becoming highly annoying.
Put my money on it being the top right hand engine mount knocking against its frame - common failure on the T4. If possible, to prolong the life of the mounts, it's best to replace them all at the same time.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote