Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Suggestion for new feature

Views : 1986

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 18:06   #1
polsesnabb

Default Suggestion for new feature

The wife managed to get out of the car the other day, with the gear still in Drive. Of course, there was another car parked at an angle in front, so our car managed to hit it on the side, and skid a bit along the other car. Not cheap, both cars needed quite a paint job.

I suggest Volvo install a feature that does not alow the car to move even in drive, if there is no driver in the seat. It should at least request an action / button ackowledge from the driver, in order to move if sensor was not trigged. I am sure they could make it work.
polsesnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 18:20   #2
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by polsesnabb View Post

I suggest Volvo install a feature that does not alow the car to move even in drive, if there is a woman in the driving seat. It should at least request an action / button ackowledge from the driver that they are male, in order to move if a facial recognition or chest sensor was not trigged. I am sure they could make it work.
May I ask how it came about that she got out with the engine running , in gear?...Was the handbrake not put on??

Regards
ps re-worded the quote!!

Last edited by volvorocks; Nov 23rd, 2011 at 18:23. Reason: put gera instead of gear!
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 18:32   #3
XC60MY12
Country Member

Not wishing to add to the anguish you must both be feeling, but how did she manage to get out, not only with the gear in "drive" (with the engine running?) but also with no handbrake applied?

I'm sure it would be possible to do as you suggest (a sort of "absent bottom" sensor) but I have to wonder whether the extra cost would be justified for most users. Surely it is not practical to legislate for every possible thing that could conceivably go wrong, otherwise why have a driver at all.

I am aware it is said that a driverless car is not far off but I am very cynical about it, given the fallibility of things like adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning.
XC60MY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 18:34   #4
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Fan View Post
how did she manage to get out, not only with the gear in "drive" (with the engine running?) but also with no handbrake applied?
Thats what ive just asked above...!!
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 00:20   #5
XC60MY12
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Thats what ive just asked above...!!
I think it's called coincidence. Not surprising that we should make the same comment at about the same time given the circumstances. Some might say great minds think alike. I wouldn't be so immodest.
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 12:44   #6
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Fan View Post
I think it's called coincidence. Not surprising that we should make the same comment at about the same time given the circumstances. Some might say great minds think alike. I wouldn't be so immodest.
..all this "immodesty" is melting my mind...LOL
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 12:51   #7
XC60MY12
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
..all this "immodesty" is melting my mind...LOL
Doctors say one of the worst things about dementia is losing your mind. What they don't tell you is you won't miss it much
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 13:14   #8
Leeds Lad
Leeds Lad

I normally don't comment on someones stupidity, but I do have to say if someone gets out of their car with the engine running and in drive, should that person have a driving licence. There are safety features built into every car...it's called the driver, and the driver before getting out of the car should check if the car is in park, engine off, handbrake on. There you go three safety features that assist the driver, if the driver is unable to use these things then that person should be called a passenger. When I read this all I could imagine was a person walking in between the two cars, the results are unbearable to imagine.
Leeds Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leeds Lad For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 15:13   #9
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Not sure that I would consider a driver to be a safety device - my experience is that it is the drivers that cause the accidents

best safety device would actually be to get rid of the drivers - but I guess that would spoil everybodies fun
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 16:11   #10
GMad
Premier Member

Erm nope!
Give your good Lady a slap and tell her that every other normal person on the planet would , at the very least, put the car in park, apply the handbrake and maybe even switch the engine off (all though the last bit isn't critical)!
Any more unecessary gadedtry will just make second hand cars, five years down the line, a pain in the arris to own