Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General > XC90 '02–'15 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone Got a CEM + Wiring green top plug

Views : 3241

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2014, 12:13   #1
tightwad

Default Anyone Got a CEM + Wiring green top plug

Ok so after many days of work investigating I have found the green plug has become melted into top of CEM.
Therefore I need a certifiably good CEM [this might have to be new from Volvo unless you know different]
There is a green plug which connects to to top of the CEM mine is melted I need to replace this plug I can solder replacement onto my existing loom or replace whole dashboard loom.
Which ever you have to sell me.

Found additional information of I think the correct Volvo part numbers

30679590 Cable harness Thing is I do not need all of this [it is huge]

30786476 ECM this should be the CEM new is quiet reasonable

Last edited by tightwad; Jun 1st, 2014 at 12:41. Reason: Found new information
tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 15:40   #2
Unreal master tech

I might have the connector with wires etc will have a look & let you know!!
Unreal master tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unreal master tech For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 17:40   #3
tightwad

Default Will a photo of mine help

I have attached two photos of my damaged plug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Green plug side.jpg (88.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Green plug .JPG (72.0 KB, 26 views)
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 12:02   #4
tightwad

Default Failure to answer private message because

I [for the reason I have not enough posts] have not been able to respond onto the private message you sent me. I hope you see my response and questions here.
First
The Volvo dealer where the car currently is in Portugal we were on a touring trip when this failure occurred. The dealer is currently saying that he cannot certify fitting of a plug as the fault [he says] "could be in the loom under the dash".
Second
Now I am a very experienced vehicle diagnostic engineer with many years in the trade and have not as yet come across a situation where a wire or wires cannot be correctly soldered on, [he says] "it interferes with the signals". Have you heard of this???
It is apparently an option through my recovery to get the car back to my home in UK although I do have good access to an alternative workshop here where I might be able to effect the repair.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 12:13   #5
mikealder
VOC Member

I would be more concerned about how much damage has occurred to the CEM, to get the plug that hot will mean high current flowing, if that current came out of the CEM it probably has damaged output stages which will be far more difficult to repair than simply changing a plug.

If the soldered joints are covered in heat shrink and staggered along the length of whatever cable is accessible then I can't see any reason why changing the plug will cause problems - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 12:38   #6
tightwad

Default Thanks Mike was going to change CEM too

Thanks Mike I was going to change the CEM too, it is just that the dealer is saying in a quiet non committal way that the fault which caused this failure COULD be a short circuit under the dash.?!?!?
So tells me replacement of full harness and CEM plus some other bits is the only way forward. which as you might guess costs a few shillings.
Any thoughts.
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 13:47   #7
KBB
Master Tech

Over the years I have seen quite a few ECU and component main connectors melt with various makes and models. Unlikely to be a shorted wire as this normally leads to that particular cable burning back its insulation.

2 Main common problems that lead to melted plugs are water ingress at the plug causing terminal pin corrosion and high resistance. The high resistance leads to heat and plug melting.

Second condition is at some point a previous technician may have poked meter leads into the female pin in the connector, spread the terminal so when it is connected back into the CEM the pin surface contact area has been reduced leading to high resistance at that pin and a build up of heat.

Soldering in a plug is an option but usually the last approach. Ideally the plug should be available separately and with a good de-pin kit all pins de-latched and transferred to the new plug. Check with Volvo about replacement plug sockets, most VMs I work with can provide sockets/plugs and replacement pins.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 21:46   #8
Unreal master tech

Hi mate this is a normal case of water ingress into the cem and then shorting out the wiring plug is supplied by Volvo as part of a Volvo recommended repair I have carried out several of these repairs & have never had any problems after replacement plug & cem replaced. If you require the parts I have you can let me know. It is important that a new cem lid & boot are replaced at this point or the problem will only return.
Unreal master tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unreal master tech For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 11:46   #9
tightwad

Default What parts do you have?

My my, Volvo eh great car when its working like most of them ha ha.
What parts do you have and what price would you want for them I do not know if my personal message pages have been opened to allow me to communicate directly with you yet. But send your info via PM and I will try to respond.
Another issue is/would be both me and my car are in Portugal right now. My breakdown service via saga are being very very good and helpful giving me the option to return to UK for repairs to be done there.
I am trying to locate the part number for the plug repair kit so my Volvo agent or myself can do the repair over here so I can get on with the reason we came here in the first place.
Old Jun 3rd, 2014, 12:03   #10
tightwad

Default Just tried my PM's again and they are still not working

Hey guys n gals try being stuck here in Portugal with a broken car and not being able to use your PM's to buy what you need.
I went back to your original PM Mr tech to see if my options to reply had been opened.
I would be very interested in knowing more about what parts you have and what discounts etc you might be able to obtain. Hey I am a Yorkshireman so by the very nature of the beast tight....let alone my nickname ha ha.
Talk to me please I think I am going mad. Tried several attempts to get admin to open my PM's