Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B18A Engine rebuilt to "B18B+" spec

Views : 1213

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2021, 16:15   #1
sleek lemur

Default B18A Engine rebuilt to "B18B+" spec

Started with a tired but original B18A that had rested in the back of a garage for some years. Plan was to build a really good engine that would deliver perhaps a little more than a B18B. Looking at the dates on my photos, I spent a month cleaning the bare block and head. Waterways were thoroughly cleaned with Evapo-Rust, really digging and scraping everything. Fill waterways with fluid, leave to soak for 48hrs, dig and scrape with long screwdrivers, turn upside down, drain, rinse..and repeat..and repeat....

I chose Coltec of Hollesley, near Woodbridge to do the engineering work. Randalls did my 1800E "B21.5" and I was really pleased with the work, but a friend who races an MG recommended Hollesley, who he'd been using for decades, and his father before him. Coltec removed the oil bungs I couldn't shift and put the block through their own cleaning process. Block was refaced. The crank was within tolerance with only 2 thou of wear. (Volvo quality!) Block was rebored for +30thou pistons, new camshaft bearings fitted, small end bearings were removed and replaced, cylinder head was skimmed to raise compression ratio to 9.5:1, hardened valve seats were fitted for unleaded fuel, new valves lapped in. I decided to replace the bushings in the rockers and these were honed to fit. Coltec bill was £974.

For assembly, the first things to go in were new core plugs all round. I replaced the main and big end bearings with new standard size items. Liberal use of AMSOIL assembly lube throughout. New pistons. New nuts on the con rods. I bought a "K" cam from Brookhouse following their recommendation on power/usability. New oil pump, cam followers, push rods, valve springs and oil sealing caps. 4 rocker ball sockets replaced. Alloy timing gear. Neoprene rear crank seal conversion. New cylinder head bolts and manifold studs. New magnetic drain plug. New rocker cover and oil filler cap. New oil pressure switch, new water pump, new engine drain tap. Engine painted correct colour. All receipts kept.

Photos of the rebuild at below link

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WKRkLoTDR1KsbY2U7

I bought all parts from Brookhouse. Their pricing is competitive and customer service excellent. My Brookhouse bill was £2,385. I paid £50 for the engine (Thanks, Andy!) , so I've spent 50+2,385+974=£3,409.

I think £3,000 is a fair price to ask.

I have also bought and restored 2 SU HS6 carbs and a manifold from a 122S, which would go nicely with the engine. I'm prepared to include these with the engine.
Old May 11th, 2021, 00:11   #2
Salop Farmer

Would sit in my 544 a treat, but sadly out of my budget range. Have 2 B18 engines needing serious attention, and am really hoping I can build a reasonable power plant for around a grand. Time will tell! I might be living in cloud cuckoo land but am still on target for a 4K total restoration of 1960 PV544. Engine rebuild not included.
Salop Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Salop Farmer For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2021, 12:39   #3
sleek lemur

My goal was to build the best engine I could 🙂
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 14:12   #4
sleek lemur

Default B18A Engine rebuilt to "B18B+" spec Reduced to clear ! :-)

Hi all,

I've taken my eye off the ball and not really done anything proactive to sell my engine. But I have a new project and need the space (and engine stand!), so am reducing the price to £2,500 which is the cost of the new parts (machining etc was £950, but will have to write that off as a fair cost for the enjoyment the project gave me )

Cheers,

Tim

Last edited by sleek lemur; Sep 4th, 2021 at 14:13. Reason: Addition
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 18:04   #5
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Hi Tim,

Pm sent.

Gordon
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gordon Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 19:06   #6
sleek lemur

Have replied 🙂
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 18:38   #7
JDW3696

Hello. Did this engine sell?
Thanks
Joe
JDW3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 18:44   #8
sleek lemur

Yes it did.
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 11:07   #9
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW3696 View Post
Hello. Did this engine sell?
Thanks
Joe
Hi ya ,

I have some engines for sale so depending on your needs have a few options 😎👍 if that helps

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post: