Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Semi or Full Synth Oil in a D24tic?

Views : 2632

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2008, 07:02   #11
69dieselfreak
big rig tech

i think im going to run shells rotella 15-40 do you guys think that would be ok or should i go with something different im just worried about the oil steavation issue i have th d24t
69dieselfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 14:08   #12
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69dieselfreak View Post
i think im going to run shells rotella 15-40 do you guys think that would be ok or should i go with something different im just worried about the oil steavation issue i have th d24t

I've just done a quick bit of research and I'd be a bit wary. Apparently it has SIMILAR specifications to the ACEA but not the actual specifications you should go for in the D24T, was primarily designed for agricultural vehicles and has a very very high detergent level, being designed especially to reduce soot emissions and that it gets very dirty very quickly because of this (good it's doing it's job but you will have to change sooner). I have read of these very high level detergents in some oils causing damage to engine parts. It does come in normal and synth (but can't work out whether thats full or semi off the net). If it were me I would rather go for a cheap supermarket oil that did meet the right requirements if I were going for a cheaper oil. I've been running my Merc camper diesel on 15 40 from Aldis that I was getting for about £6 a gallon (stocked up) and which meets all the requirements and have never had a problem

Don't know if you read the thread I started on whether to put an extra litre in due to oil starvation and followed the thread to read up the techy stuff on this, I decided to go for it and have an extra litre in but that has to be your decision. You can get some really good deals on Ebay on oil, I regretted not buying 25 litres of high quality semi-synth to the right specifications on there for under £30, keeping my eyes open for more such deals.......

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL

Last edited by Laney760; Sep 24th, 2008 at 14:08. Reason: spelling
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 14:33   #13
69dieselfreak
big rig tech

i havent been able to find the tech articles to read about rotella is all dinosaurs
i guess cheap oil and a really good filter will do the trick
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 23:36   #14
oman5

after reading up on these engines I've decided to use fully synthetic in mine, although I'm a bit weary using it in something so old- given how thin the stuff is its likely to get burnt up quickly I'd have thought, and its expensive stuff. I'll see how it does.
oman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 04:49   #15
69dieselfreak
big rig tech

well im going to run full syn if the damn car doesnt use to a bunch of oil like my ferd (ford f-250 6.9 diesel) because this car is going to be my daily driver
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 13:55   #16
Laney760
VOC Member

Orman5 and 69dieselfreak, let me know how your engine gets on with the full synth a few months down the line please. I've had my semi-synth in plus an extra litre for a few weeks now, I'll let you know a couple of months down the line how my engine is doing.

For about a month before my change I was using oil, a fair bit but since my change I've used none. I don't know why this should be, perhaps if it was filthy and deteriorated it would burn up or perhaps if the filter was full of muck it would have this effect? Am I talking rubbish? Can anyone tell me why she's not burning it up since flush, oil and filter change? Many thanks

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 04:59   #17
69dieselfreak
big rig tech

will do there good buddy
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 18:55   #18
oman5

well so far I've done 1000 miles in mine on synth and the oil level's not dropped at all. does anyone know what the change interval is on these? 3000 miles or is it more on synth?
oman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 20:45   #19
jor
VOC 20573

You can do 15,000 oil changes on synthetic. If that sounds excessive change the lilter midway.
Not my opnion, but that of someone who has rebuilt 50 of these engines! Using synthetic he maintains they are good for 500k, with mineral they are toast at 150k.

jor
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 04:56   #20
69dieselfreak
big rig tech

if i were running syn id only be running 7500 miles max theres my $0.02