Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF/EGR removal - 2007 2.4D

Views : 6402

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2011, 19:18   #1
steve...

Default DPF/EGR removal - 2007 2.4D

I have just bought a 2007 S80 2.4D and I gather it's got a DPF and I'd really like to remove it . . . has anybody had this done already ? Who is recommended ? I know it needs a remap too to remove the DPF functionality.

One company is also removing the EGR valve for £75 . . . is the EGR valve linked to the ECU on this engine ? On my current V70 2.5 TDi I simply disconnected the vacuum pipe and it was **** permanently but I'm quite happy to make a little aluminium plate to sit between the manifold and the valve if that's going to work.

Is there a catalyst too ?

(I don't get the car until next week, so can't have a look !)
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 14:50   #2
steve...

Has nobody had this done ?
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 16:30   #3
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Not sure about the DPF but you can not blank the EGR it will not like it
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 15:48   #4
Darkest Stockton-on-Tees

I'm thinking of an S80 D5 & would also get this removed as it ruins MPG & doesnt really add anything, there is a Co near me that removes the DPF called Big Fish Tuning I think, but you will need to supply a bypass pipe to be fitted, dont know about the ERG valve though. The car I was looking at is a 2008 08 SE with 70k on the clock & FSH, Just under £8k.
111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 18:49   #5
cloggers

Does removing the DPF not make you leave a trail of soot where ever you go? And do they not check emissions when you get the MOT done?

Besides environmentally unsound it is probably illegal and might even count as a modification your insurance firm does not agree with...
cloggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 02:30   #6
steve...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloggers View Post
Does removing the DPF not make you leave a trail of soot where ever you go? And do they not check emissions when you get the MOT done?

Besides environmentally unsound it is probably illegal and might even count as a modification your insurance firm does not agree with...
No and No.

It's not environmentally unsound and isn't classed as a modification.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 08:27   #7
Absolutevolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve... View Post
No and No.

It's not environmentally unsound and isn't classed as a modification.
Interested in knowing your source that Insurers do not class this as a modification as the rule of thumb is that any change to the manufacturers spec is a modification and they must be told. Not doing so is a first class way to get claims refused whether it is relevant to the claim or not.
Absolutevolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 14:31   #8
steve...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutevolvo View Post
Interested in knowing your source that Insurers do not class this as a modification as the rule of thumb is that any change to the manufacturers spec is a modification and they must be told. Not doing so is a first class way to get claims refused whether it is relevant to the claim or not.
You are permitted in law to make any changes to your vehicle provided they do not change the risk accepted by the insurer. It's not only common sense but accepted in law and people who constantly harp on about "your insurer won't pay out if you do xyz" do everybody a great disservice.

An insurer is obliged in law to honour any third party claim against you regardless of what you have said about your driving history and vehicle. So the only risk is that you won't be paid for your car and an insurer would need a very good reason to refuse to pay out on a claim . . . eg in a theft claim such as expensive alloy wheels in place of steel wheels which therefore make the car substantially more attractive to thieves.

The DPF is not supposed to be a power sapping device, it's supposed to clean soot form the exhaust and then burn it so deleting it can't change the risk on the vehicle as it won't be making any more power without it, nor will it change the way the vehicle drives, handles or the way the driver interacts with it. We have assurances from the manufacturers that this is the case so the risk the insurer has accepted remains the same. The only reason for removing it is to ensure you're not stranded when it goes wrong . . . which may even assist your insurer as you won't be forced to leave the car in a potentially unsafe location.

You have more chance of having a damage claim (eg from a crash) rejected by fitting lower speed rated tyres than is specified for the car as that could materially affect the handling and the ability of the driver to stop/slow the car.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 17:15   #9
Absolutevolvo

Quote:
You are permitted in law to make any changes to your vehicle provided they do not change the risk accepted by the insurer. It's not only common sense but accepted in law and people who constantly harp on about "your insurer won't pay out if you do xyz" do everybody a great disservice.

An insurer is obliged in law to honour any third party claim against you regardless of what you have said about your driving history and vehicle. So the only risk is that you won't be paid for your car and an insurer would need a very good reason to refuse to pay out on a claim . . . eg in a theft claim such as expensive alloy wheels in place of steel wheels which therefore make the car substantially more attractive to thieves.

The DPF is not supposed to be a power sapping device, it's supposed to clean soot form the exhaust and then burn it so deleting it can't change the risk on the vehicle as it won't be making any more power without it, nor will it change the way the vehicle drives, handles or the way the driver interacts with it. We have assurances from the manufacturers that this is the case so the risk the insurer has accepted remains the same. The only reason for removing it is to ensure you're not stranded when it goes wrong . . . which may even assist your insurer as you won't be forced to leave the car in a potentially unsafe location.

You have more chance of having a damage claim (eg from a crash) rejected by fitting lower speed rated tyres than is specified for the car as that could materially affect the handling and the ability of the driver to stop/slow the car.
Sorry I disagree it does not matter whether removing the DPF changes to safety of the car it is a change that insurers would expect you to report. I checked a couple of sites and the clearest statement is here http://www.carinsuranceexplained.com...fications.html. You can ignore it but don't be surprised to be faced with an argument if you have a serious accident and whilst the third party is paid out under Road Traffic Act cover that is not the end of the matter for the insured party which can include criminal prosecution for serious cases.

The problem with insurance issues is that it is after a claim that trouble starts not before. I do know what I am talking about after working in the consumer advice sector for 20 years.
Absolutevolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 21:38   #10
cloggers

Quote:
The DPF is not supposed to be a power sapping device, it's supposed to clean soot form the exhaust and then burn it
So you basically turn your clean diesel into a soot spewing monster like the diesels of yore. Great for the environment...
cloggers is offline   Reply With Quote