Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

wont start at all tryed either too

Views : 1038

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2008, 05:13   #1
69dieselfreak
big rig tech

Default wont start at all tryed either too

i just got my injection pump timed and belt put on and im asuming every thing was on time but the damn car will not start even when i hit it with either directly into the turbo what could be my problem thank guys
could i have the wrong timing on the pump
or could it be a more servier prolem
69dieselfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 16:09   #2
Laney760
VOC Member

Smile

Ooh, don't use ether/ easy start etc... on vehicles, particularly on the D24TIC engine. I have used it twice on my Merc 307D diesel camper when it needed priming, didn't want to, but these engines are impossible to prime once out of diesel, have gotten away with it purely because it is such a low compession engine, oh so basic, but I have probably got a coating of it in the engine which would build up after a few more uses and finish it off altogether. Copied from the net

'In about 1984 I was invited to visit a metallurgical laboratory where they investigated the causes of engine failures of various kinds. I saw diesel engine damage of burnt out injectors, pock-marked valve seats and faces, burnt out valves, piston lands melted jamming rings, all caused by using Easy Start. On petrol engines I saw melted spark plugs, burnt-out valves, pitted valve seats and faces, melted piston crowns, burnt and pitted piston lands, broken piston rings and scuffed bores, again all caused by using Easy Start. Needless to say, I have never used it or recommended its use use since this visit'

There is also a thread on the net concerning a leading motoring organisation using Easy Start on a stationary vehicle, killing the engine and a resultant strip down report stated that the damage to the engine was consistent with a cam belt failure at over 100mph but the vehicle had been stationary!

AND there's a guy called 'Blinky' on the net who got his nickname from losing an eye from the resultant blowback from using Easy Start. Poor chap

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL

Last edited by Laney760; Oct 10th, 2008 at 16:10. Reason: spelling
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 18:05   #3
oman5

easy start is good for getting rid of wasps nests though. whooomph!!
mwahahahahahahahaha!!!!!
You are quite right however, its an engine killer. I had a bedford midi with the isuzu diesel a while back, on which the glow plug relay didnt work, the only way to get it going was to squirt some easy start down the air intake.
It actually destroyed the rings and piston crowns causing the engine to feed off its own sump oil and self destruct!
With modern vehicles there really shouldnt be any need for easy start, it was used mainly for crap like the ford york diesel engine which would never go from cold, or for vehicles in sub-zero climates. I think your timing is likely to be out, its too much of a coincidence that you've had the pump off and now it won't go.

Last edited by oman5; Oct 10th, 2008 at 18:11. Reason: added more info
oman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 18:10   #4
jor
VOC 20573

Either the glowplugs are not working, or it's not getting fuel or something has gone awry in the belt change. If you are confident that the change was o.k. i.e., the engine turned over freely by hand after the new belt went on then check that the glowplugs are working and that diesel is getting to the injectors by loosening the connections in turn. If not the pump can be primed with a length of tubing from a container on the roof. Also make sure that none of the little return lines from the injectors have not become disloged.

jor
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 21:51   #5
volvobm

explain wont start... there will be the differance. easy start in the airbox. other stuff wont do it. Even with the timing off it will start and then cut after a min or when you put it in drive.
volvobm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 00:38   #6
69dieselfreak
big rig tech

ok guys i got it running with out the use of either today witch i was relived because believe me i know what the effects of either are it was my last resort last night i was just getting frusterated
but i dont know why it wasnt starting but when i first got it going it was running rough as hell and im not shure how long it had sat for but i created my own clear out and easy start and it works autotrans fluid and diesel in a spray bottle it cleared that engine up really nicely anyway im so happy i got it running
1 thing off my list 100 more to go thanks guys
i love this site
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 16:42   #7
69dieselfreak
big rig tech

well now i think the root of my no start problem is in the glow plug system any suggestions on that system that i might be able to follow
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 18:19   #8
jor
VOC 20573

There's a discussion on glow plugs / relay here
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ght=glow+plugs
or just do a search on the forum for "glow plugs"

jor

Last edited by jor; Oct 11th, 2008 at 19:47.
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 00:27   #9
69dieselfreak
big rig tech

did all my gp tests and its a wireing problem