Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problems with XC90 delivery in the UK

Views : 4390

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2003, 09:34   #11
Iank

Default RE: Problems with XC90 delivery in the UK

I agree with Tony as being the only way forward. They have to have a very valid reason for not seeling you the vehicle such as XC90 are not being made any more. Price does not come into it. Speak to a consumer organisation in the first instance for advice and I suggest a very nicely worded letter perhaps mentioning that you have contacted your local trading standards and any other body that may take a dim view of this scenario and I think I would be right in suggesting that you do not cancel your order even if you purchase another car. There is nothing stopping you making a few grand on the vehicle at the end of the day. Make the ba.....ds sweat.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 18:52   #12
tonyflynn1

Not just my opinion george, JD Power seem to share this view, it's a shame but the Volvo brand is sliding into mediocrity. As I say, if a dealer shows contempt for the client at the purchase stage, it's unlikely that he's going to look after you when you really need him. Check out the JD Power survey and make your choice. Caveat emptor
tonyflynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 19:03   #13
Wentworth Man
VOC Member

Lets not get the two things confused.
Volvo make the car, the Dealer buys a large number (and at a better rate because he is franchised) and sells it to you. The contract is with the dealer and they are at fault irrespective if they have a problem with Volvo - not your problem, theirs. So any claim is against the dealer and they can then claim separately against Volvo (fat chance!).

Admittedly JD Power is right in some regards though but I'd rather stay with Volvo than go elsewhere - for now at least

Tony
Wentworth Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 15:25   #14
Bob
Club Director

Take a look at:

www.volvoclub.org.uk/press/pdf/34202.pdf

or

www.volvoclub.org.uk/press/releases/34202.htm

1995 850 T5 auto estate. 280hp 289K miles and purrrs
2009 Jap import V70 2.5T 200hp 51K miles
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 21:54   #15
Ben O Brien

Hi
Just gotten round to reading this thread,I dont know how much XC90s are worth in sterling as i live in ireland i presume 35-40K,If you all excuse my language it is f****** ridiculous that some jumped up salesman can speak to someone who is just about to give him a tidy sum in such a manner.If i were you i would definitely pursue this claim or complaint as far as it will go,as someone else said in a previous posting "make the b*****ds sweat".
Best Regards
Ben
82 242 Modified(twin dellortos,lowered,etc.etc....)
82 244 GL
89 245 GL
91 245 Se
96 850(4) S
Ben O Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 04:44   #16
C6REW

Hi Andy,

Absolutely appalled by the way you have been treated. Some very good advice above.

Me, I would contact your local paper and get a reporter to come in with you to the dealership and see if the MD would like to repeat what he said before. I am sure this would open up a serious can of worms and get a lot of papers/TV programmes involved.

It would be good to see this pompous ass put in his place. Please tell us which dealership I would relish the opportunity of meeting this guy. Perhaps we could all go in and waste his time.

It is of course not limited to Volvo. Last year I was negotiating an Audi Allroad with the dealer in Swindon who wasted three of my afternoons. Finally telling me to go off and try a second hand one I had seen. I threatened the dealer principal with a bill for my time, which when I told him how much he at first smirked then looked worried.

Regards

Chris
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 13:55   #17
George Holmer

Let's get one thing clear. Honda, Lexus et al may be better in terms of serivce but ethical... come on! Secondly, I drive a car not a dealer; I buy a car, not a dealer. If the car I buy comes with a good dealer, then that is a bonus like a power-adjusted driver seat or a nice sunroof but it is not a must. It is the car that I have to live with on a cold, winter morning at 4 am when I need to take my father-in-law to airport or stuck in the mud in the Pyrenees enroute to a holiday home in Spain with screaming kids in the back or crusing down the M1 at 90 mph or... not a dealer.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/imm021.jpg]

'95 940 Polar LPT (B230FK/AW71; 130k)
'92 940 SE Turbo (B200FT/M46; 150k)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22; 210k)
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 22:09   #18
CaptainVolvo

Dear Andy,

Not sure I understand what you are trying to achieve.
The Dealer seems to have offered you a fair alternative in view of the delay.
Cant say I would want an unhappy customer before they had taken delivery of their new car.Sounds like hes identified the fact that your a pain in the ass before too late.
It is an excellent car and I would give you £1000 now to buy your order.
Looks like your the blackmailer.
Stop being hot headed and give me your order.

Yours waiting happily for 6 months

Captain Volvo
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 20:33   #19
Bob
Club Director

I have received the following statement from Volvo Car UK on this issue:

Volvo Car UK Limited’s statement in respect of Volvo Owners Club article re. XC90 availability

“We were shocked to read of the experiences of your contributor in respect of his purchase of a Volvo XC90. We welcome the opportunity to comment on this matter, and would extend an invitation for the gentleman involved to contact us directly in order to resolve it satisfactorily.

Ever since the XC90 was launched, the leadtimes from the factory have been around twelve months or more. Most dealers also have additional waiting lists of customers whose orders cannot yet be transmitted to the factory, since future allocations of this model have still to be released. For this reason we were surprised to hear that your contributor had been quoted a delivery leadtime of around six months. Such a short wait for this model would only be possible if the dealer had allocated the customer an order that they had already put through to the factory (for example, one which was originally intended for another customer, who had then cancelled for some reason).

We were particularly concerned to read the statement about the dealership’s right to cancel the order. A signed order is a binding contract, and it is the dealer’s duty to ensure that it is constructed fairly. We would not condone a dealership canceling a customer’s order without cause, and indeed we do not believe that it is lawful to do so.

If your contributor wishes to discuss the matter further we will be pleased to hear from him directly. Likewise we are happy to receive contact from other customers if they have experienced similar situations. In each case we will endeavour to provide a satisfactory outcome.

Customers wishing to contact Volvo on this matter should ring (08457) 564636 (local rate call) or write to Customer Relations, Volvo Car UK Limited, Globe Park, Marlow, Bucks, SL7 1YQ.”

1995 850 T5 auto estate. 280hp 289K miles and purrrs
2009 Jap import V70 2.5T 200hp 51K miles
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 17:39   #20
George Holmer

Now that is what I call dealing with it. Please let us know what happens..

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/imm021.jpg]

'95 940 Polar LPT (B230FK/AW71; 130k)
'92 940 SE Turbo (B200FT/AW71; 115k)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22; 210k)