Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is my S60's ETM failing?

Views : 2099

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 20:23   #1
DurhamRed

Default Is my S60's ETM failing?

Hi all,
sorry if this has been done a thousand times but I could do with a bit of help from those who know.

I own a Oct 2002 registered S60 2.0T SE 5sp manual box with 85K on the clock which I purchased at a cost of £4500 in July this year and with full service history (mostly Volvo).
Basically in the last few weeks the car won't accelerate properly when its cold, say for instance once I set off for work on a morning I can speed up to 60mph within one mile (i.e National speed limit road) but the car seems to hold back as if the brakes are on slightly, then it'll speed up normally then if i apply more throttle pressure the same thing seems to happen (its almost like the car can't breathe properly). However I must admit that idle speed etc is fine always regardless of outside temp or engine temp (about 1000rpm cold, 750 when warmed up). This lack of smooth acceleration goes on for about 20mins / 15 miles then it seems to be much better, more smoother and progressive.
Now however, this week the car will occassionally splutter - abit like a few years back when you had damp HT leads, it does it once or twice then will accelerate normally.
My best guess is as follows;
1. Dodgy spark plug(s) - not sure when they were changed last. Havent checked condition either.
2. ETM.
3. Blocked fuel filter. I dont run the car below 1/4 tank.

I must stress that on my 45min journey each day to work and the subsequent return journey on an evening after around 20mins of driving acceleration does become better, smoother and progressive but I'm not sure if its 100% right even then.
I'm going to get it plugged in to the local garage diagnostics on friday but I'd really appreciate your thoughts on the problem my car seems to have. I do have 1 month warranty remaining on the vehicle but guess what - it doesn't cover electrics. Surprise surprise!
Sorry for long winded post.

Last edited by DurhamRed; Sep 3rd, 2008 at 20:26.
DurhamRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 20:25   #2
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Unplug your MAF and see if it still happens.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 21:05   #3
DurhamRed

Thanks for the reply, I won't have opportunity to disconnect the Mass Air Flow Meter due to being off to work early tomorrow. I've read other posts on the forum since my original post and my car does seem to exhibit this MAF problem others have reported so I'll get the garage to disconnect it then see if the car will accelerate better.

Last edited by DurhamRed; Sep 3rd, 2008 at 21:19.
DurhamRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 20:44   #4
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Garage to disconnect? Why???? It's a 5 second job, you just disconnect the multiplug from it, nothing more complex than that

Old Sep 5th, 2008, 19:46   #5
DurhamRed

The problem turned out to be 2 things;

1. Knackered spark plugs (electrode almost non exsistent).
2. Rubber shrouds which go into cylinders and connect with spark plugs are perished and split. Also the rubber shroud ends are brittle.

The shrouds haven't been replaced yet as the garage phoned the local Bosch agent and they couldn't supply the shrouds as they are no longer available! So the garage will ring local Volvo dealer on Monday to get the replacements. How strange is that? I used to be a Quality Manager at an Automotive Engineering Company that made pressed metal components and we had to keep tooling for spares for a period of 10 years after model deletion.

However even with the new plugs the car is much better. Mechanic said that when they plugged in the diagnostics it kept telling them reduced turbo pressure which they believe is a direct result due to poor spark and plugs / shrouds arcing.

Hopefully all should be sorted by Tuesday next week.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 19:49   #6
DurhamRed

Sorry to be a pain but if anyone has replaced the shrouds can you tell me how much they are?
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 09:55   #7
DurhamRed

Found the 'shrouds' - or Coils as they are more commonly known. About £45 each.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 20:52   #8
DurhamRed

Unhappy

Car now like new.
5 new Ignition coils.
5 new Spark Plugs
1 diagnostic check
2 hours labour.

Thats £485 please sir!

Jesus. During a credit crunch as well.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 12:41   #9
Terminator
VOC Member

Fit them yourself and save the labour. It really is a piece of cake (PM me if you want step by step instructions)!

Simon (Rufe) at FRF Swansea will give you a good discount off the parts.

You can get an OBD II Code reader/resetter for about £30 to clear the codes.

Whoops sorry, just re-read your post and it seems you have already had the work done!
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 06:50   #10
Stanleyturbo

Hi Terminator, You say you can get an OBD2 Code reader for about £30? Where can I get one?

Many thanks

Stanley
Stanleyturbo is offline   Reply With Quote