Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2014 XC60 Official Answer.... finally

Views : 29314

Replies : 194

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2013, 15:08   #51
tangey

The engines may launch, but I wonder in what models. Given they are just launching the 2014 XC60, I would think the earliest I'll see this in an XC60 is this time next year.
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 21:34   #52
Westyman
VOC Member

Personally I have no problem with the D5; I'm on my second one and it, and it's installation, are better than mid-90s engines by a country mile. I was working in Paris then and all taxis had an engine closely related to a Furguson tractor. Buying a new D5 engined car, as I am, I would rather have a well developed engine than be an unpaid product development person!! LOL
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 07:06   #53
mordred1973

I love the D5, I accepted it wasnt goingbto be over economical but my mate had a Q5 2.0tdi 170 and he was getting 32-35 from that, which is way slower than my D5 Polestarcand most definitely has less character.

The D5 has been Bout for a long time in one form or other so cant live on for ever, the way forward is nor just smaller engines but lighter bodies and other fuel or co2 savers like regenerate braking, stop/start etc that BMW are the leaders on (check out a 3.0tdi X3)
mordred1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 12:03   #54
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordred1973 View Post
I love the D5, I accepted it wasnt goingbto be over economical but my mate had a Q5 2.0tdi 170 and he was getting 32-35 from that, which is way slower than my D5 Polestarcand most definitely has less character.

The D5 has been Bout for a long time in one form or other so cant live on for ever, the way forward is nor just smaller engines but lighter bodies and other fuel or co2 savers like regenerate braking, stop/start etc that BMW are the leaders on (check out a 3.0tdi X3)
The D5 has a lovely character to it, especially since being 5 cyl. The Audi only has 4 cylinders. Best is 6 or higher, of course, but penalty is and always will be CO2 and fuel consumption.

Bmw's are great performers with their 6 cyl diesel engines. For example, the 2007 330D I ran, tuned from 231bhp to 280bhp did approx 42mpg avg. My current 535D with 313bhp (not tuned) does approx 36mpg avg, but weigh over 2 tonnes! Only the latter has regenerate braking. They are also both very refined, even when cold. Wife's 118D is a 4 cyl and the clatter is like a tractor! But hey ho, it's soon to be replaced by a new V40 D4
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 17:31   #55
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

FYI the MY14 Configurator should be up and running on Monday 29th April....

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MtillingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 19:07   #56
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

It's all coming and more ! in the new range of VOLVO engines , they have "invented" a new diesel injector with a built in microprosessor in each injector together with twice the current fuel pressures , they say it is as revolutionary as the lambda probe and catalytic converter which volvo invented in 1976 .
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 09:56   #57
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:

3/4's of the stop start systems from what I have read the chances of actually using them are slim to none and some on here are more hassle than they actually worth.

Additionally, I take most fuel MPG data with a pinch of salt the majority of them are that far off you might as well be having a laugh, and with the EU "suddenly" uncovering X or Y going on with hills, mirrors removed, taped up joints and all this it is no wonder cars are so far off heck some of the German manufacturers are known to almost st specific points purely to make them look efficient. This before we even get onto the inadequate nature of the test itself.

Or to put it another way our D2 is currently around 10 -15 MPG from its average combined of 65MPG. The slightly "older" NA petrol I have is 1 MPG from it's combined figure consistently. Always worth asking or taking a decent look at the trip computer as many cars seriously tell a different story in the real world.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 13:57   #58
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
3/4's of the stop start systems from what I have read the chances of actually using them are slim to none and some on here are more hassle than they actually worth.

Additionally, I take most fuel MPG data with a pinch of salt the majority of them are that far off you might as well be having a laugh, and with the EU "suddenly" uncovering X or Y going on with hills, mirrors removed, taped up joints and all this it is no wonder cars are so far off heck some of the German manufacturers are known to almost st specific points purely to make them look efficient. This before we even get onto the inadequate nature of the test itself.

Or to put it another way our D2 is currently around 10 -15 MPG from its average combined of 65MPG. The slightly "older" NA petrol I have is 1 MPG from it's combined figure consistently. Always worth asking or taking a decent look at the trip computer as many cars seriously tell a different story in the real world.
So true.

My 780's offical figures (B280E) is 11.3l (25mpg) but while driving it on long journeys, I constantly see it returning only 8 litres (35mpg). Not bad for a 26 year old car with a relative big 2.8 V6, no cat and climate control running constantly

Nice to see that, for once, the official figures are way out but in the right direction!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 18:31   #59
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

I am glad as above ^ I do not believe any of these MPG figures because day to day they are pretty outlandish over a combined cycle with the roof down my MPG in the NA petrol is down somewhat by about 2-3 but it is still much better than the best part of 15 mpg down.

That is an impressive figure, put it another way Saab's from what I have seen tended to underestimate their efficiency actually beating their MPG.

I mean the main offenders here hate to say it are diesels, petrols seem closer to their combined figures overall. Whether the newer breed are is another question, I have driven one fiat with the 0.9 twin air but that was unfair it had only just come into the country and been registered.

Last edited by Ninja59; Apr 19th, 2013 at 18:38.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 07:23   #60
sean64ennis

Hi all, just ordered build week mid may, pick up mid june.
I was told by my dealer that this will one of the first in the uk.
sean64ennis is offline   Reply With Quote