Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sat Nav gone

Views : 452

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2024, 18:39   #1
Whyman
Premier Member

Default Sat Nav gone

Driving to Bridlington the Sat Nav suddenly went off piste and is now showing the car in the middle of nowhere.

I have rather optimistically disconnected the battery for a few minutes with no change.

Everything else works fine.

I have wrecked the system data and it shows no satellites and no height above sea level so I suspect the aerial has failed?

Does anyone have any similar experience sand mor importantly how easy is it to check the aerial replace it if it is faulty and any idea of cost?

Thanking you in advance for your replies.

Last edited by Whyman; Apr 20th, 2024 at 19:14.
Whyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 19:32   #2
thebronze

I had this a couple of summers ago. It self corrected and came back in 48 hours and has plotted the car normally ever since. Funnily enough I was over Bridlington way when it happened. Interference from something?

QUOTE=Whyman;2946406]Driving to Bridlington the Sat Nav suddenly went off piste and is now showing the car in the middle of nowhere.

I have rather optimistically disconnected the battery for a few minutes with no change.

I have wrecked the system data and it shows no satellites and no height above sea level so I suspect the aerial has failed?

Does anyone have any similar experience sand mor importantly how easy is it to check the aerial replace it if it is faulty and any idea of cost?

Thanking you in advance for your replies.[/QUOTE]
thebronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 20:14   #3
Whyman
Premier Member

Thanks for the reply. We are staying just outside Brid until Wednesday Sco hopefully it will sort itself out when we return home.

Strange coincidence or what!
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 09:40   #4
Whyman
Premier Member

The saga goes on. We went to Bempton Cliffs on Tuesday and on the way back to the site the Sat Nav came back to life.

It worked all the way home until we passed Clumber Park when it went off again. Zero satellites seen and is still off.

Either a problem with the aerial or a connection somewhere.

Does anyone know where the aerial plugs into the screen?
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 01:08   #5
Sysyphus

GPS antenna plugs into the head unit… dark blue socket bottom right

Last edited by Sysyphus; Apr 26th, 2024 at 01:24. Reason: Fix picture
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 08:22   #6
DangerousDel

My 2015 V60 did this last year and I was quoted a small fortune to put into the local dealer just for diagnostics, then it miraculously fixed itself and has been fine for almost a year, then this morning it did the same again.. it thinks its about 5 miles away and going in the wrong direction.
DangerousDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 11:44   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
Driving to Bridlington the Sat Nav suddenly went off piste and is now showing the car in the middle of nowhere.

Thanking you in advance for your replies.
There was a faulty batch of roof fin aerials around 2013-15 which caused this problem on some volvos . not a lot just the odd car... you can get a new circuit board inside the fin don't forget the adhesive gasket around the edge... heat up the fin to soften the adhesive to get it off. you will probably have to lower the rear of the headlining to get the plugs off.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 16:30   #8
Whyman
Premier Member

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I have a job for the weekend to add to my list.

At this stage with the car if I can’t fix it easily I might not want to spend loads at my dealers and start using Google maps on my phone.