Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bodywork

Views : 829

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2012, 10:21   #1
yragyrag90

Default Bodywork

Ok.
So, after an MOT pass, and getting great insurance, I'm looking at treating my Tors.

I took it for a wash on Sunday, and it showed up a load of blemishes. Just grease and grime on some panels. But some significant rust too.

I'd hope to be able to shift the majority of the blemishes with a T-cut.
And then start on the rust.

But is it OK to do it in that order?

There are a few very small patches and stone chips that are rusting. How do I treat them?

And finally, the worst (visible/known) rust is around the rear, off-side wheel arch.
I only noticed the severity when it was in for its brakes the other week.
It's fairly crumbly and is right through. Leaving just the wheel-arch edge undamaged.
Does anyone know a good body welder around the North East? Someone who could tidy up that rust and perhaps give it a spray too?
yragyrag90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 11:41   #2
jetronic63

Personally I would sort out all of the cosmetics before you start polishing as you can see what is going to need blending in etc. If you polish it up and then need any bodywork/paint doing, you are probably going to have to repeat the process after it is completed. I would take it to a bodyshop(s) they will give you suggestions on sorting out the rust/stone-chips AND the best treatment for the paint. They will probably offer a service to re-finish the paintwork as well - depends how deep your pockets are I suppose and how much of the process your are comfortable handling
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 13:20   #3
yragyrag90

Yeah, that's it.
I was going to T-cut it to see what really needs doing.
I don't mind doing it twice, as I see sorting out the big problems and chips as being the main task this year.

The stone chips are tiny. And I'd hope to be able to fix them just by touching up.

By the way, the black (tape?) surrounding the rear windows is very shabby.
What is the normal replacement/fix for this?

Also, is there a quick/easy way of tidying up alloys? They're the spoked Tors type.
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 19:48   #4
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

i used linseed oil on the black below the windows, a good sopa wash and rinse and when dry apply the oil to the cloth and rub it in, its also brilliant for bupmers etc
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 09:54   #5
yragyrag90

Yeah, that would probably work, but the actual cover (tape?) is peeling away/cracked in places.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 15:56   #6
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

it can still be bought new, but getting the old one off is a pain as its super sticky and you would need to remove the windows as its fitted under the rubbers, its expensives to buy mine cost £67 for both sides
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 19:28   #7
tannachyallen
240SE

'Volvogue' produce them, but as 240 says, they're not cheap.

http://www.volvogue.com/Volvogue_Sho...ge&category=12

Dave A.

240 SE Auto 1991
tannachyallen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tannachyallen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 23:07   #8
yragyrag90

Hmm... Thanks.

What do you think it would look like sprayed? With a Matt black?

How much do you (anyone) think it would cost for a full-respray?
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 00:12   #9
wooble
Stay gold baby!

Resprays are a tricksy business, there are a LOT of very bad sprayers out there, and you can't necessarily use the price they charge as a guide to the quality of the work done. I've seen some truly shocking resprays done for a lot of money. 80% of a good spray job is in the preparation work, you want to remove as much as possible. Lights, trim, bumpers, doorhandles, seals, anything fitted to the car body that doesn't need painting. Masking never has as good a result in my opinion. To do the job properly, you also need the windows out and ideally to dismount the doors, bonnet and wings to be sprayed separately.

John's 164RS restoration thread in the 140/164 forum is a good indication of how much effort goes into a quality paint job. To have a professional respray your car could cost you as little as £800 to thousands and thousands depending on who does it. More of the cost than you'd think is paint - decent automotive paint is anything but cheap, can sometimes be over £100 per litre!

The vinyl below the windows on mine is also shot, I'm going to remove it over the summer with a toffee wheel (search on ebay/youtube for them) - basically a soft rubber compound disc that you use in a drill and will burn off vinyl, if you hold it in one place too long it will also burn the paint off though so be careful! they're not too hard to use though. The main worry is that the paint under the vinyl will be differently faded to the rest of the car.

Last edited by wooble; Mar 22nd, 2012 at 00:24.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wooble For This Useful Post: