Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General > XC90 '02–'15 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

am i getting robbed? timing belt change d5 xc90

Views : 4324

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 4th, 2014, 13:05   #1
dylan5084

Default am i getting robbed? timing belt change d5 xc90

I spoke to Murray Volvo a few weeks ago about a timing belt change all tensioners n auxiliary belt changed and a major service done at the same time, they quoted me £645 which I thought was very reasonable but there a distance away from me.

I found an Indy garage much closer and they convinced me that the quote from Volvo wouldn't have included the changing of the tensioner etc and that woulda been extra, and that they wouldn't have included things in the price like changing the cabin filters etc.

The price the Indy garage quoted for the same work as the Volvo main dealers was nearly the same, but I decided I'd just do the oil service myself,

so I get quoted £ 252 for the belt ( and all the tensioners aux belt everything) or so I thought until they phoned me this morning, they told me every thing is needing changed in there including the water pump whch he added £112 and he added £80 on for the tensioner- which I thought was in the original quote is £450 ish over-priced? I'm not sure if he's still to add vat, it better not be as that would be bringing the cost close to the price for a major service and the belts change at main dealers.

Opinions please?
dylan5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 14:47   #2
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan5084 View Post
I spoke to Murray Volvo a few weeks ago about a timing belt change all tensioners n auxiliary belt changed and a major service done at the same time, they quoted me £645 which I thought was very reasonable but there a distance away from me.

I found an Indy garage much closer and they convinced me that the quote from Volvo wouldn't have included the changing of the tensioner etc and that woulda been extra, and that they wouldn't have included things in the price like changing the cabin filters etc.

The price the Indy garage quoted for the same work as the Volvo main dealers was nearly the same, but I decided I'd just do the oil service myself,

so I get quoted £ 252 for the belt ( and all the tensioners aux belt everything) or so I thought until they phoned me this morning, they told me every thing is needing changed in there including the water pump whch he added £112 and he added £80 on for the tensioner- which I thought was in the original quote is £450 ish over-priced? I'm not sure if he's still to add vat, it better not be as that would be bringing the cost close to the price for a major service and the belts change at main dealers.

Opinions please?
Best post this in the XC90 general section, rather than the "XC90 Sales" A better audiance and more likely some feedback to your query.

Hope it helps
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 17:10   #3
Backhill1
Master Member

I got nearly a £100 discount through Main dealer discount and that brought the 108K service down from £620 to £520. so if you’re getting quoted £645 that is about right as mine was in March 2013.
If you go onto the Volvo web site they give you a quote and our dealer matches it.

I got quoted over £700 for this through Arnold Clark at the time hence why i went on line, they said Volvo book time is not enough for the 108K and they added an hour????
Barnett’s in Dundee were almost getting the job until I found the MDD web site as Inverness Aberdeen and Perth are the same franchise.
Last year they didn’t have any dealers in Scotland so I went to Preston on my way to Cannock and they gave me a courtesy car for 3 days, they were very good (Doves).

I think your Indy is spinning you a line, Water pump is unnecessary as very reliable component and should be checked only (as per advice from Volvo Techs on this site as I asked the same question) and they will definitely be doing all the belts and tensioners. Also the cabin/ polin filter is done at every service so this is a lie they will be doing.

If there is one service to get done at the main dealer this is it, also you get Volvo assistance for a year thrown in. Your next 2 services are circa £200 each after this and will help with Volvo goodwill if anything goes wrong.

I don’t know if your model has the good (bomb proof) or really bad aux belt tensioner but this could make a big difference if it goes wrong who done this work.
Backhill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 17:23   #4
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backhill1 View Post
MDD web site as Inverness Aberdeen and Perth are the same franchise.
Who are MDD Blackhill1? ... AFAIA Inverness and Aberdeen are uncle Arnold, but Strathmore in Perth (been there forever!) are a family business and not connected to uncle Arnie, are they?
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 18:22   #5
dylan5084

Could the mods move this post to general please?

So I recon I got pumped. £ 623 for timing belt and all the tensioners and a new water pump, he dropped it to £600 when I moaned - whoop e doo! I coulda had all the work done and a major service at Volvo for 45 quid more! Not happy.

The garage was ronsealey in cowdenbeath.

Last edited by dylan5084; Oct 4th, 2014 at 18:25.
dylan5084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 18:22   #6
Just Drive

Before taking out my service plan I enquired at different main dealers about individual service costs over the same period. The final year would include the cambelt etc... and I recall the price being in the region of £650. All specified items would be changed and did include tensioner, cabin filters etc.. No water pump because it isn't listed. Others on here have already indicated water pump is not necessary.

From what you say about this independent, I would suggest they have 'robbed' you especially when they come back to you on the day with extra costs. Not a nice feeling when you are clear at the outset about what should happen.

I use Strathmore, no complaints so far!!
Just Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 23:34   #7
RoscoMac
Scottish Section Chair

I got main dealer quote of around £250 for belt and tensioner -another 40ish for aux belt. There a main dealer on eBay - Nottingham I think offer it for £210 which I think is pretty good considering genuine parts are around £90 to buy on their own. My local ind also suggests replacing water pump on basis it's off anyway

Did it on my 850tdi so probably will do on d5 if I keep it.
R.
RoscoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 23:37   #8
RoscoMac
Scottish Section Chair

Yes, Strathmore still independent family owned firm. Long may it continue.

R
RoscoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2014, 10:48   #9
Anthony 69
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoMac View Post
Yes, Strathmore still independent family owned firm. Long may it continue.

R
2 or 3 years ago Strathmore were awarded the best Volvo dealer in Scotland in an internal Volvo awarding system, I see no reason for thinking that they have changed, always clear, courteous, and seem to have customer needs up front along with quality.
Anthony 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 08:01   #10
Kwozzymodo

£400-500 sounds 'reasonable' for an indy to change all the belts and water pump. There's a part on the pump that breaks easily and replacing it adds to the cost.
Kwozzymodo is offline   Reply With Quote