Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo loud whistle and smoke from exhaust when accelerating

Views : 6902

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2016, 21:32   #11
The Thong
VOC Member

That's the one I've ordered, I'll wait until my cars been serviced before I fit it. My cars serviced by Volvo so I don't want them panicking about a none existent fault.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2016, 12:39   #12
Penrynian

Thanks paddyred, I love the description of the smoke screen :-)
Mine doesn't quite blank out 2 lanes of a motorway with smoke, but at times it gets close.
It's going into my local garage for some minor work shortly, so I'll ask if they can check the turbo pipes for leaks and splits.
Penrynian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2016, 15:05   #13
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penrynian View Post
Thanks paddyred, I love the description of the smoke screen :-)
Mine doesn't quite blank out 2 lanes of a motorway with smoke, but at times it gets close.
It's going into my local garage for some minor work shortly, so I'll ask if they can check the turbo pipes for leaks and splits.

Yeh split turbo pipe will cause tones of white smoke out the back and you should hear it. on a previous diesel I got someone to rev it a bit till I found the split and temp ducktaped it till a new one fitted (I dont really recommend the duck tape part but I needed to drive)

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2016, 20:00   #14
Penrynian

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Yeh split turbo pipe will cause tones of white smoke out the back and you should hear it. on a previous diesel I got someone to rev it a bit till I found the split and temp ducktaped it till a new one fitted (I dont really recommend the duck tape part but I needed to drive)

So the V50 2.0d has been in for a brake pad change and they inspected all the pipes, connections, etc - all seemed fine. As far as we could tell, with head stuck up inside the engine bay while the engine was revved, the whistle seems to come from the turbo itself.
So the smoke trail continues. Otherwise the car bombs along nicely, maybe the last thing to look at is the EGR valve.
Old Apr 29th, 2016, 21:34   #15
paddyred
Master Member

They are defiantly loud turbo's on these. I like the sound personally! Do you know if your car has a DPF? Whats the last number on the VIN? You could always get one of the £3 blanking plates to see if it stops the smoke. If it does then you can either leave the plate in as I have or pull it out and clean the EGR valve. £3 seems good value for money easy diagnostics to me
Old Apr 30th, 2016, 08:03   #16
Penrynian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyred View Post
They are defiantly loud turbo's on these. I like the sound personally! Do you know if your car has a DPF? Whats the last number on the VIN? You could always get one of the £3 blanking plates to see if it stops the smoke. If it does then you can either leave the plate in as I have or pull it out and clean the EGR valve. £3 seems good value for money easy diagnostics to me
I agree paddyred, I don't mind the noise as much, it's nice to hear it kick in. But it's the amount of crap that comes out the exhaust that I don't like. You're probably right, the EGR blanking plate is useful at least to see if it makes any difference at all. I'll get one and let you know what happened.

I don't think the car has a DPF - I read that if the 8th digit of the VIN is a 4 there's no DPF; if it's a 5 there is a DPF.
Mine says 4 so I assume no DPF.
Last digit = 3

Last edited by Penrynian; Apr 30th, 2016 at 08:07.
Old Apr 30th, 2016, 10:03   #17
paddyred
Master Member

Just have a look underneath and double check you don't have one. It will be fitted at the front of the exhaust if you do have one. Roughly in line with the back of the front wheels. It wont do any damage if you do have one (it will actually be better for it with no egr) but it can put on the engine warning light. Remember to pull the gray plug out of the egr when you put the blank in! Good luck!
Old May 2nd, 2016, 07:36   #18
Jeffscarborough

Do you need to blank off the egr?
Would just unplugging it not do the same?
Jeffscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2016, 12:06   #19
Bungo
Premier Member

Just thought I'd mention that cleaning or replacing egr valve is what most people do because this complies with the Law and pollution to all
Old May 3rd, 2016, 08:07   #20
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penrynian View Post
So the V50 2.0d has been in for a brake pad change and they inspected all the pipes, connections, etc - all seemed fine. As far as we could tell, with head stuck up inside the engine bay while the engine was revved, the whistle seems to come from the turbo itself.
So the smoke trail continues. Otherwise the car bombs along nicely, maybe the last thing to look at is the EGR valve.
how loud is your turbo noise? and does it seem to get any louder each day? could be a sign of your turbo going ... but that doesnt explain the white smoke to me.

With mine the split was easy to spot (as in you couldnt see it but it was big enough that you could feel it, you couldn't see it by just looking), but the white smoke was coming out the back of the car as if it was a steam train ... and was very thick.

I took mine to volvo when I had noise/air leak issues and they put it through an air system check thing. not sure if thats worth asking about?

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote