Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

[Buying] 240 Torslanda

Views : 1719

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2016, 16:11   #1
ardley

Thumbs up [Buying] 240 Torslanda

Hi, I've just joined and I can see this is a great place for info about Volvos.

Anyway, I am looking for a Volvo Torslanda, preferably in red, J or K reg.

If anyone has seen one for sale anywhere, or are selling one, I would love to know about it.

Budget, £3k would be max.

I know these are now getting rare, and almost a collectors item, but when I was a kid, my dad bought one of these second hand for about £500 in 2005. Really loved it!

Thanks!
ardley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 19:25   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

If going for a Tors, £3k should get you a minter. Keep in mind that the Torslanda is a fairly low spec car. Even £1500 -£1750 should get you a pretty nice one so make sure that if you do spend £3k it's a really good one. If it has to be a Torslanda OK but higher spec versions can be bought for that kind of money.
Torslanda manual box only.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_200_Series
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 21:03   #3
ardley

Thanks for the reply.

Essentially I love some very specific things, most of which is the seat material. I also like the 240 design, and that its the last of the lot with basically all the extras. The design and shape look just right. It's like Georgian architecture on a car

I'm definitely not looking for a large engine or BHP.

I've been looking for a torslanda for a few weeks now, there has been just 1 for sale to my knowledge.

Thanks
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 21:48   #4
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I am not sure aboout "with all the extras". I thought the Torslanda was built to avoid incorporating extras. A base model.

"Torslanda (1992-93 Europe-only special edition. A base-model 2.0 engine car with side decals, alloy wheels and painted black exterior trim rather than chrome. It was designed as a way to sell off the last of the line base models by adding a few cosmetic touch ups and was not a special "winter" version as some believe)"

A good car I understand. Not I understand with all the extras. I have seen it said that a lot of extras could be obtained with that car, perhaps by haggling with the dealer.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Feb 24th, 2016 at 21:51.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 23:39   #5
Angie
Premier Member

I wouldn't sell mine for £3,000!

They seem to be an odd mixture in a way, fairly basic upholstery on most of them, and manual windows and mirrors, but in every other respect identical to a 2ltr SE. In fact mine has from new the much nicer blue velour interior, so maybe options were available. Also they have the roof rails, optional extra on other models, black GLT type grille, very fancy wheels, and the unique shadow stripes, which definitely give the car a sleeker appearance. The lack of electric mirrors and windows is mainly why it appealed to me, though heated mirrors could be useful. So in effect the Tors isn't a base model but merely an entirely different specification from any of the earlier ones. I think an additional appeal is that it's the last of the line.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 00:05   #6
ardley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
I am not sure aboout "with all the extras". I thought the Torslanda was built to avoid incorporating extras. A base model.

"Torslanda (1992-93 Europe-only special edition. A base-model 2.0 engine car with side decals, alloy wheels and painted black exterior trim rather than chrome. It was designed as a way to sell off the last of the line base models by adding a few cosmetic touch ups and was not a special "winter" version as some believe)"

A good car I understand. Not I understand with all the extras. I have seen it said that a lot of extras could be obtained with that car, perhaps by haggling with the dealer.

I hope that helps.

Ah yes, I know what you mean, I am no expert with cars, I don't know the ins and outs, however I know I want this particular car. I had this rose tinted view that being at the end of production meant it was a last hurrah with lots of cool stuff. Reading the wiki, I understand it was just to shove off the last of the remaining cars... However... in my opinion it looks fantastic, well proportioned too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
I wouldn't sell mine for £3,000!

They seem to be an odd mixture in a way, fairly basic upholstery on most of them, and manual windows and mirrors, but in every other respect identical to a 2ltr SE. In fact mine has from new the much nicer blue velour interior, so maybe options were available. Also they have the roof rails, optional extra on other models, black GLT type grille, very fancy wheels, and the unique shadow stripes, which definitely give the car a sleeker appearance. The lack of electric mirrors and windows is mainly why it appealed to me, though heated mirrors could be useful. So in effect the Tors isn't a base model but merely an entirely different specification from any of the earlier ones. I think an additional appeal is that it's the last of the line.
Yes! Nothing to go wrong. The version I had, did have heated seats, and a sun roof I've seen some pics with the blue upholstery looks interesting! However that grey weave material was the reason why I fell in love with the car, strangely.

Good news though. I have found a car auction with a white Torslanda for sale between £1000-£1500.. however its in Scotland.

I am thinking of putting a bid in!
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 07:56   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

The main drawback in my experience is it only has the 2.0L engine.
It seems OK if you've never known any better, but once you've driven a 2.3L you never want to go back.
The wheels are nice though.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 09:08   #8
Angie
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
The main drawback in my experience is it only has the 2.0L engine.
It seems OK if you've never known any better, but once you've driven a 2.3L you never want to go back.
The wheels are nice though.
I'm inclined to agree, though other models are 2ltr too. If I were younger and driving as much as I did when working full time I would definitely have considered changing the engine but nowadays the 2ltr is adequate. I can, by judicious use of the gears, still leave behind quite a few cars if they are hassling me, it's just that the engine has to work that bit harder. Ideally I suppose a 2.3 with six gears would be good, even with the 2ltr I feel the need to change up sometimes.
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 09:16   #9
Angie
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardley View Post
Good news though. I have found a car auction with a white Torslanda for sale between £1000-£1500.. however its in Scotland.

I am thinking of putting a bid in!
Go for it, white is best!

Mine has heated seats but no sunroof. In fact, in every respect apart from the manual windows and mirrors it's an SE, but with roof rails and stripes. I know the stripes are purely cosmetic, but they were an inspired addition, they really do add the finishing touch to an already beautifully proportioned car.

It's good to see the prices increasing a bit, it might influence people to take better care of the ones that still exist. When I bought mine, five years ago, there were often two pages of 240s on Ebay, now they are a bit of a rarity.
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 09:45   #10
DionBullock
Volvo Nut

My 240 seems to be a bit of an oddity. Its an SE by all accounts - but with the Tors stripes , well, not sure if they are tors stripes but very similar and GLT alloys.

DionBullock is offline   Reply With Quote