Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

massive oil leak

Views : 883

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2016, 20:31   #1
sole27

Default massive oil leak

major disaster with my 2004 V70 D5 today, got back from work and noticed a load of oil on the path outside my house, dropped of the under tray and there is oil everywhere dripping from a little hole between the gear box and engine block so looks like it the dreaded core plug or the crank seal.
i've only had the car two weeks and had just done a oil change at the weekend. i did notice the was a bit of oil on the turbo pipe that runs under the engine but not loads so it must have been leaking at bit from there when i got it.
anyone done one before ,it's not ideal as i will be doing it on my drive, can it all be done with the engine in, i gather i will have to change the clutch as well when it's out.
sole27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2016, 20:51   #2
Horton

Bad news I'm afraid, your oil gallery core plug has popped out and the only way to repair is to remove the gearbox/flywheel and replace. The part is about 2 quid, the rest is labour......
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2016, 23:24   #3
sole27

this is going to be fun not really sure i fancy tackling this outside on my drive at this time of year but i don't think i've got any option.
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 01:46   #4
Squealey

This is exactly what killed my beloved Vin Diesel a few months back. 2003 S60, D5 with a paltry 346,000 miles on the clock. I loved that car but it needed the clutch and dmf doing at the same time and I just couldn't justify spending nigh on £1000 on a car worth £400 on a good day!

HUGE MISTAKE!!! Really wished I'd spent it now. Better the devil you know they say. Went out and spent what to me was a lot of money on a fully loaded 2005 D5 S60 and it's been nothing but a ball ache from day 1½. Culminating in needing a new gearbox valve body, in tank fuel pump, and loads of general fixes!!

Good luck fixing yours.

Wayne
Squealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 17:01   #5
Richardkimber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sole27 View Post
this is going to be fun not really sure i fancy tackling this outside on my drive at this time of year but i don't think i've got any option.
I agree, good luck with finding somewhere to do it.
How many miles as the engine done ?
Past 95: 940 2.3 LPT Manual Estate 178k mls:
Past 96: 850 AWD, 86: 340 (my 1st Volvo)
Richardkimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 17:11   #6
t4owner

I did mine on a mates ramp clutch looked perfect put back together and it slipped so out the next weekend to put a clutch in it so be warned do it propley 1st time
t4owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 19:19   #7
john493
Spannering since birth

If you're thinking of DIY, one of these would be helpful:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-5309...nsmission+jack
(GS Addict)
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to john493 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 22:36   #8
sole27

haven't got anywhere i can do it but on my drive, try to weigh up whether to just get stuck in and get it done myself or pay someone to do it for me.
i had a quote of £400 plus parts for a local well respected garage ,so about £1000 all in that would be if i needed a flywheel as well which i'm not sure i would, there is no rattling from the flywheel that i can here.
i'm tempted to do it myself going to have a think and make my decision tomorrow.
i spoke to the owner of the garage today and he said you don't need the tensioning tool as the clutches are already wound back and he's being doing them for years and never had a problem which is not what i've read elsewhere.

i feel your pain Squealey if i pay someone to do this it will double what i paid for the car and i still have a power steering leak to sort out.
i've also just had to pay £450 to have a belt on the wife's Audi so i'm a bit skint.
Old Nov 26th, 2016, 23:36   #9
Squealey

I suppose with yours there's not much chance the previous owner would have known the core plug was about to fail, that's why I'm so pi55ed off with my one, he would have known the gearbox was on the way out.

But over the last few days I've been seeking advice on here and have had some really great responses, enough to make me not loath the car quite as much and realise the gearbox isn't actually completely stuffed and will cost half as much as I was expecting. I've even been out and removed the intank fuel pump today to try and resolve a dodgy fuel gauge, think I've turned a corner there too.

It's like my wife says, for the money I paid I could have got some boring, crappy corsa or focus. Instead I've got one hell of a car that when fixed will hopefully give me many miles of comfortable motoring. Just wish I wasn't lied to!!!

Wayne
Squealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2016, 09:45   #10
john493
Spannering since birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sole27 View Post
haven't got anywhere i can do it but on my drive, try to weigh up whether to just get stuck in and get it done myself or pay someone to do it for me.
i had a quote of £400 plus parts for a local well respected garage ,so about £1000 all in that would be if i needed a flywheel as well which i'm not sure i would, there is no rattling from the flywheel that i can here.
i'm tempted to do it myself going to have a think and make my decision tomorrow.
i spoke to the owner of the garage today and he said you don't need the tensioning tool as the clutches are already wound back and he's being doing them for years and never had a problem which is not what i've read elsewhere.

i feel your pain Squealey if i pay someone to do this it will double what i paid for the car and i still have a power steering leak to sort out.
i've also just had to pay £450 to have a belt on the wife's Audi so i'm a bit skint.
If the DMF is not rattling & measures within spec when you've got the 'box off, I'd be inclined to leave it. (it's only in the UK apparently that garages like to change the DMF at every opportunity, or so I read in Auto Express last week)
I know the self adjusting clutch cover comes set in the right position for fitting, but you need to be certain it stays that way while fitting - you only want to do the job once.
(GS Addict)
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote