Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2027696

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2021, 12:09   #2421
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I hope you're right about spring being finally here Alan!

Had a snowstorm yesterday followed an hour or so later with a hailstorm which i was out in with the hound. Walkies was abruptly cut short!

Good news on getting another season out of your snow tyres, they're about half way worn at the moment so in theory you have as many seasons again as you've already done with them.

That said, when the tread gets lower, they won't be so effective at dispersing snow and slush so in practice maybe just one more season..................
We had a hailstorm yesterday also Dave, but the temperatures are steadily climbing, so I don't think I need the M&S tyres any more this year.

The recommended wear limit for snow tyres is 4mm - they are still perfectly legal right down to 1.6mm, but as you say, they become less effective in cold weather. What some people do is run them on as summer tyres when they get below 4mm, which works fine. I may do that next year - just run them on into the spring and summer, they will wear a bit quickly in the warm weather, but so what.

I checked the date code on the Yokohama tyres this morn, they are 8 years old (since manufacture - they may well have sat on a shelf for 3 or 4 years) so I think one more season out of them would be reasonable. I only did about 3,000 miles during the winter).

I've found some products by Smartseal to renovate my drive. One which is a biological agent that claims to break down oil deposits (I have quite a few from all the times I've changed engine and gearbox oils intending to be tidy but have always spilled a little). The other product is a re-sealer that rolls on to make it all black like new again. I've just started the preparation today by brushing on a bleach solution to kill all the moss and lichen, it is a big drive though (130m^2) so it takes a while. I'll get it pressure washed off over the next couple of days then try the two Smartseal products, then report back on how effective they are.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Apr 12th, 2021 at 12:11. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 12:34   #2422
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Alan

I think you have decided to do this one way or another. And it might, partly, satisfy the desire to, tinker with, these things. Kushtie.

It is I hope unlikey that having done so much, something else will fail within the engine. I well remember a crankshaft fracturing, breaking.
But that, A Series, engine continued enough to limp, very noisily and slowly ....

P.S. ... Your car aint broke !!!!!

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 12:41   #2423
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Alan

P.S. ... Your car aint broke !!!!!

Stephen

I know :-)
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 15:20   #2424
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Go for it Alan!

My car isn't broke but that isn't stopping me from rebuilding the head and changing all of the gaskets on it

Seeing as you're delving in to the block you might as well do the lot and know that you have a fully rebuilt engine that is going to problem free for many years to come.

Bear in mind all of the gaskets, oil seals and belts will set you back in the region of £400 if you go with genuine Volvo.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 18:05   #2425
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Go for it Alan!

My car isn't broke but that isn't stopping me from rebuilding the head and changing all of the gaskets on it

Seeing as you're delving in to the block you might as well do the lot and know that you have a fully rebuilt engine that is going to problem free for many years to come.

Bear in mind all of the gaskets, oil seals and belts will set you back in the region of £400 if you go with genuine Volvo.
Many thanks Luke,

Old Apr 13th, 2021, 10:53   #2426
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
If the BofH is right and access to the big ends (and therefore the rings) is easy via the sump then that only looks like a day's work to me, and would bring about some useful benefits without the full 9 yards of an engine-out rebuild.
Hmmm, I don’t think ‘easy’ is how I’d describe it- ‘possible’ perhaps, or ‘doable if you have no other options’.

This approach might be ok on a ramp, but certainly isn’t a recipe for fun on a driveway with the car up on stands. Perhaps I’m getting old, but as much as I’m keen to tinker with cars I’m also keen to enjoy it and where I can avoid lying on the floor with rust falling in my eyes, trying to do something with limited access then I’ll take the easier route, to keep it fun and avoid it feeling like an arduous task.

You may be over-thinking the engine out approach- it’s really very easy and quick, even single handed, with an engine hoist and a load leveller. Even with a break for coffee you should be able to get the engine out and on a stand in an hour or two, meaning the one day refresh of the rings etc should be doable within a long day- or two days, again to keep it fun.

That’s my take on it anyway.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 11:57   #2427
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

That's essentially how I feel too, 'Bugjam1999'! 50 odd years ago, I thought nothing of pulling a Mini engine and gearbox with a mate and a basic tripod and block'n'tackle, grabbing a wad and then slotting in it's replacement in a day, and then buying said mate a pint in the pub before closing time. But, as you so rightly say, age does have a habit of catching up on you. Now, I have no compunction about using a trusted garage to undertake those jobs that I am neither no longer able nor willing to do myself.

Alan clearly has relative youth and enthusiasm on his side, and I greatly respect what he has both achieved thus far and also has planned for the RB in the future. He also has the benefit of that lovely new engine hoist (which I would have given my Eye Teeth for back in the day) just crying out to be used! Let's not deny him that pleasure; besides, I'm also looking forward to enjoying it vicariously when he posts his report in this thread!

Regards, John.
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 12:27   #2428
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
Hmmm, I don’t think ‘easy’ is how I’d describe it- ‘possible’ perhaps, or ‘doable if you have no other options’.

This approach might be ok on a ramp, but certainly isn’t a recipe for fun on a driveway with the car up on stands. Perhaps I’m getting old, but as much as I’m keen to tinker with cars I’m also keen to enjoy it and where I can avoid lying on the floor with rust falling in my eyes, trying to do something with limited access then I’ll take the easier route, to keep it fun and avoid it feeling like an arduous task.

You may be over-thinking the engine out approach- it’s really very easy and quick, even single handed, with an engine hoist and a load leveller. Even with a break for coffee you should be able to get the engine out and on a stand in an hour or two, meaning the one day refresh of the rings etc should be doable within a long day- or two days, again to keep it fun.

That’s my take on it anyway.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
That's essentially how I feel too, 'Bugjam1999'! 50 odd years ago, I thought nothing of pulling a Mini engine and gearbox with a mate and a basic tripod and block'n'tackle, grabbing a wad and then slotting in it's replacement in a day, and then buying said mate a pint in the pub before closing time. But, as you so rightly say, age does have a habit of catching up on you. Now, I have no compunction about using a trusted garage to undertake those jobs that I am neither no longer able nor willing to do myself.

Alan clearly has relative youth and enthusiasm on his side, and I greatly respect what he has both achieved thus far and also has planned for the RB in the future. He also has the benefit of that lovely new engine hoist (which I would have given my Eye Teeth for back in the day) just crying out to be used! Let's not deny him that pleasure; besides, I'm also looking forward to enjoying it vicariously when he posts his report in this thread!

Regards, John.

Yes.

And Alan.

1. You are itching to use that engine hoist.

2. However well you support a car, it is safer not to be underneath it hoisted off its wheels.
I have done a similar job, using a pit.

3. You are itching to use that engine hoist.

I think you have already decided to take the engine and transmission out ...

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Apr 13th, 2021 at 12:33.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 12:59   #2429
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

... but I'm not going to be able to strip the mains with the engine still in the car and the gearbox attached I don't think (unless I've jumped to a wrong conclusion about the construction of Volvo motors?). That then would imply only the first method: taking the engine out and doing the work on the bench (so I might as well change the crank seals as well) was possible - wouldn't it?
If by "strip the mains" you just mean replace the shells then yes, it's easy to do it with the engine in situ.
The only difficult bit is removing the sump, but I think that is easier on an older model because the sump is shallower and the gear pump shorter?

I have once removed and replaced a later sump, but I had to lower the cross member as far as the pipes etc would allow, and then do some nimble work dropping the oil pump with the sump in place and cutting the baffle plate once the sump was out in order to be able to replace the oil pump again.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 13:16   #2430
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
If by "strip the mains" you just mean replace the shells then yes, it's easy to do it with the engine in situ.
The only difficult bit is removing the sump, but I think that is easier on an older model because the sump is shallower and the gear pump shorter?

I have once removed and replaced a later sump, but I had to lower the cross member as far as the pipes etc would allow, and then do some nimble work dropping the oil pump with the sump in place and cutting the baffle plate once the sump was out in order to be able to replace the oil pump again.
Thank you Clifford, but I don't think it would be possible to change the main bearing shells with the engine in situ - only the big end bearings.

Thank you for the first hand experience of removing the sump in situ. The BofH gives the impression this is a very simple job:

... but it would appear to be rather more difficult than is the implication. That is exactly why I have asked the question amongst friends here.