Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My head lamps are pitiful = Head lamp bulbs recommendations

Views : 2808

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2009, 12:40   #1
Blue 8
Premier Member

Question My head lamps are pitiful = Head lamp bulbs recommendations

Can anybody recommend some good over the counter replacement head lamp bulbs/driving bulbs IE from halfords or the likes, as the head lamps on my 850 are pitiful at best

They give off a dim yellowish glow yes my lamp glass is clean and yes the chrome reflectors are in tip top condition

Got to be the worst car I have owned for night driving due to poor head lamps

Before you start talking HD`s etc to me stop , I just want to pop down to my local halfords and pick up a set of better bulbs cheers fella`s
Blue 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 12:55   #2
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I've used the Halfords +30% bulbs and found them a reasonable upgrade. Haven't tried the +50% ones and I can't remember if they're road legal...

The Philips VisionPlus and Osram SilverStar (not the sylvania with a similar name) are also excellent bulbs. Make sure you get the genuine article though as there are said to be loads of fakes on eBay...
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 13:31   #3
t5_andy
Trader

I have the halfords +50s in mine and they're good.

I notice they are on bogof on the halfords website as are the 'Extreme' +90% ones so worth a look.

www.rollupandshine.com

Enter VOC5 at the checkout for 5% discount on everything.
t5_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 13:39   #4
stevo48
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_andy View Post
I have the halfords +50s in mine and they're good.

I notice they are on bogof on the halfords website as are the 'Extreme' +90% ones so worth a look.
Which is great but bear in mind with our cars having drl's the +90% or even the +50% will only have a short life, I was advised by one of halfords own people not to bother with the +% bulbs as they don't last as long as oem and have an even shorter life due to Volvo having the lights on all the time. The last h/l bulbs I bought were standard H3 £9.99 per pair.
@blue8 check the condition of the plugs at your headlamps see if there is any corrosion of the spade connectors as this can cause high resistance and poor light output, I replaced the connectors for my headlamps with new copper connectors and saw an immediate improvement in light output.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 13:41   #5
Blue 8
Premier Member

Cheers fellas

Are all the above road legal? and also will they be OK load wise The last thing I need is to fit something that is going to screw up my electrics

Cheers
Blue
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 13:46   #6
Blue 8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo48 View Post
Which is great but bear in mind with our cars having drl's the +90% or even the +50% will only have a short life, I was advised by one of halfords own people not to bother with the +% bulbs as they don't last as long as oem and have an even shorter life due to Volvo having the lights on all the time. The last h/l bulbs I bought were standard H3 £9.99 per pair.
@blue8 check the condition of the plugs at your headlamps see if there is any corrosion of the spade connectors as this can cause high resistance and poor light output, I replaced the connectors for my headlamps with new copper connectors and saw an immediate improvement in light output.
Cheers Steve

Will do

Not to bothered if the replacements last as long as OE just as long as they omit better light, mine hardly light the road up ahead at night they really are poor and if its raining also you really are screwed
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 13:49   #7
t5_andy
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue 8 View Post
Cheers fellas

Are all the above road legal? and also will they be OK load wise The last thing I need is to fit something that is going to screw up my electrics

Cheers
Blue
I believe the halfords ones are still 55w so no increase in load, the difference comes from the gas pressure and type of gas used inside the bulb itself.

They dont say anything about NOT being road legal and I know they do put warnings on their 100w bulbs which aren't legal for road use so fairly safe to assume they are.

www.rollupandshine.com

Enter VOC5 at the checkout for 5% discount on everything.
t5_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to t5_andy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 14:41   #8
PaulT5estate
BTCC Replica

What about Osram Nightbreakers? You can get a pair off the 'net cheaper than Halfords.

Also, why not turn the DRL'S off? On most 850's its easy, a little screw by the light switch
PaulT5estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 14:46   #9
Blue 8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT5estate View Post
What about Osram Nightbreakers? You can get a pair off the 'net cheaper than Halfords.

Also, why not turn the DRL'S off? On most 850's its easy, a little screw by the light switch
Hello Paul

Yeah I`ve turned my DRL`s off do it ever summer but turn them back on for the winter months

I have called into halfords but I did not realise there were soooo many different bulbs to choose from , all I want is a nice white light not yellow and to be able light the road ahead a little better
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 14:57   #10
NewVolvo
VOC Member

My 780's lights are not the best so fitted Philipps X-treme +80%. Normal H4 55W lamps and they are much better than the original.

Highly recommended.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote