Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B&W Sound System in Ultimate model - very poor

Views : 2887

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 12:48   #21
Marmaduke

Interesting. Googling "UK 2024 volvo XC90 ultimate sound system" in Microsoft edge, its A1 responder has incorporated my gripes from this thread!

Good. Perhaps that might prompt someone at Volvo to implement a fix in the 'infotainment' software, or write an app workaround?

Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 17:07   #22
piorunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
Its about time people accept that AAOS is what it is (i.e. not a clone of Sensus) and move on.
I kindly disagree with you here. It's about time people vote with their wallets and ditch a manufacturer who removes every possible physical knob and even virtual screen functions to save another penny. While charging us more, not less, for each year car iteration.
I doubt very much I will be buying AAOS Volvo, ever. I have plenty of other cars to discover.
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 18:11   #23
Lexman8
Premier Member

The B&W system doesn't have Dolby Atmos (which would be pointless in a car) but does have Dolby Pro Logic II which has been around since the beginning of time itself .

Also, an XC60 has 14.1 speakers and an 1,100 watt amp. Volvo don't specify whether the power figure is RMS or peak so it's not very meaningful.

Last edited by Lexman8; Mar 23rd, 2024 at 18:15.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 18:31   #24
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piorunz View Post
I kindly disagree with you here. It's about time people vote with their wallets and ditch a manufacturer who removes every possible physical knob and even virtual screen functions to save another penny. While charging us more, not less, for each year car iteration.
I doubt very much I will be buying AAOS Volvo, ever. I have plenty of other cars to discover.
You aren't kindly disagreeing with me, I said the same earlier in my 'rant' where I said if it doesn't work for you, go find something that does.

I do really like the XC60 and its AAOS system and if they still sold the Polestar Engineered model in the UK, I would likely be getting another one in the next 12 months but I will be leaving the Volvo brand for my next purchase as they no longer offer a car that meets my requirements, as such, not being a hypocrite and doing what I preach.

Increasing prices for less equipment (or equipment specs you don't want or will ever use) is not something specific to Volvo, you will find similar at most of the other premium brands with the exception of Porsche where you can still option whatever you want if your budget allows.
As for you not getting an AAOS car, your loss is all I can say.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 00:47   #25
piorunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
You aren't kindly disagreeing with me, I said the same earlier in my 'rant' where I said if it doesn't work for you, go find something that does.

I do really like the XC60 and its AAOS system and if they still sold the Polestar Engineered model in the UK, I would likely be getting another one in the next 12 months but I will be leaving the Volvo brand for my next purchase as they no longer offer a car that meets my requirements, as such, not being a hypocrite and doing what I preach.

Increasing prices for less equipment (or equipment specs you don't want or will ever use) is not something specific to Volvo, you will find similar at most of the other premium brands with the exception of Porsche where you can still option whatever you want if your budget allows.
As for you not getting an AAOS car, your loss is all I can say.
Looks like we both will be leaving Volvo of different reasons, but I don't see that as a loss 😃 And certainly I won't regret not having AAOS, because what I have currently suits my needs perfectly (XC60 2021 T8 with everything possible including polestar overclock). And the next iteration does not bring a lot of new things to the table, but takes things away instead. But it's just my opinion of course. So, once my car gets older and warranty worries risk increases, I will be looking elsewhere, most likely.
What other SUV are you considering for your next purchase?

Last edited by piorunz; Mar 24th, 2024 at 00:50.
piorunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 05:39   #26
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piorunz View Post
Looks like we both will be leaving Volvo of different reasons, but I don't see that as a loss 😃 And certainly I won't regret not having AAOS, because what I have currently suits my needs perfectly (XC60 2021 T8 with everything possible including polestar overclock). And the next iteration does not bring a lot of new things to the table, but takes things away instead. But it's just my opinion of course. So, once my car gets older and warranty worries risk increases, I will be looking elsewhere, most likely.
What other SUV are you considering for your next purchase?
Its most likely going to be a Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid or Panamera Sport Tourismo S E-Hybrid. I don't feel the switch to full EV is right just yet so want to keep with a PHEV but it needs to be sporty and engaging to drive, like the Polestar Engineered is.
I will likely test drive a Polestar 3 (with performance pack) and a Hyundai Ionic 5N but as already mentioned, not sure the full EV switch is for me just yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 16:59   #27
Hadajag

As always in these discussions the blame seems to be put on AAOS
AAOS is an operating system as per Windows etc.The problem is with the software written by Volvo using this operating system not with AAOS. Several other car manufacturers use AAOS.
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 18:48   #28
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadajag View Post
As always in these discussions the blame seems to be put on AAOS
AAOS is an operating system as per Windows etc.The problem is with the software written by Volvo using this operating system not with AAOS. Several other car manufacturers use AAOS.
I'm pretty sure its the software co-written by Volvo & Google (and whoever else is in partnership on this iteration of AAOS).
As I've mentioned many times, the Sensus system was 100% Volvos system so they could do what they wanted, when they wanted without having to hold meetings to clear things.
On AAOS used in the Volvo cars, because its not a 100% Volvo owned system, changes need to be agreed between the 'Partners' before even a line of programming is written.
I'm pretty sure that some of the things that Sensus could do could not be transferred to AAOS as Google itself would be seen to be tracking and storing much more information on peoples driving details than they would legally be able to do (due to their affiliations with other industries like social media etc). Volvo, as just a car company, could do it as they had no ties or legalities that prevented it from happening.

So Volvo isn't 100% to blame either.

Old Mar 24th, 2024, 19:42   #29
Hadajag

Sorry entirely disagree. AAOS is a published operating system, Google the publisher has no say as to what Volvo write other than that anything must comply with regulations governing any software and falls withim the terms of use of AAOS.
To suggest that Volvo is in continuous consultation with Google is a joke. So do you think that the thousands of other Android app originators are also in 1:1 consultation with Google?
EDIT Further thinking about this it occurs to me that why are Volvo writing the software to drive the B&W audio system? Surely im the context of the AAOS operating system B&W should be supplying an app with every facility to get the best out of their system?

Last edited by Hadajag; Mar 24th, 2024 at 20:02.
Hadajag is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hadajag For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 22:27   #30
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

The big question in my mind is how much scope and influence does Volvo – or any auto manufacturer, actually have available under the Google Android developer licence?

In a previous life I was involved in managing and supplying licensed SDKs (software development kits) to 3rd party developers wanting to create custom functions and features on top of our propriety operating system.

I would imagine that through the eyes of Google Android, who own the underlying base operating system code, see Volvo as a 3rd party developer. As a 3rd party developer, you do not have carte blanche rights to do whatever you like with an SDK for a number of stability and licencing reasons.

It’s quite likely that Volvo’s hands are more tied and limited now under AAOS as to what they can do on their own and are now dependant and effected by what Google Android decide to do to the underlying base operating system.

This is an interesting read on the subject: https://source.android.com/docs/automotive