Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Saving Kiloran's 940

Views : 25094

Replies : 110

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2021, 15:42   #31
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdkev View Post
Don't get me started on that particular subject - the most stupid bloody idea since the body painted bumper.....
Impossible to do handbrake turns as well
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 15:44   #32
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Ah, didn't realise you'd need to do much in the interior, I'd have tidied it out a bit first if I'd known. Probably all manner of horrors from an untidy 12yo!
I've seen worse, a Bentley Turbo R would come in regularly to the garage I worked at with food everywhere inside, mud all over it and half eaten lollipops stuck to the leather trim! I swear he only brought it in to get a free valet.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 15:46   #33
kiloran

On the plus side electronic handbrakes are partly the reason I'm in the world of Volvo. I was going to replace my B5 Passat with a B6 but the handbrakes are a known weak point. It's a safety item, give me cable actuation every day of the week. (There's a patent for electronically-controlled brakes for pedal cycles that's been around for years which from a packaging and aero perspective makes a lot of sense - except that if you're Chris Froome doing 60mph down a mountain you're not going to rely on a box of electronics to save your life)
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 20:51   #34
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
On the plus side electronic handbrakes are partly the reason I'm in the world of Volvo. I was going to replace my B5 Passat with a B6 but the handbrakes are a known weak point. It's a safety item, give me cable actuation every day of the week. (There's a patent for electronically-controlled brakes for pedal cycles that's been around for years which from a packaging and aero perspective makes a lot of sense - except that if you're Chris Froome doing 60mph down a mountain you're not going to rely on a box of electronics to save your life)
Once upon a time it was an MoT requirement (and presumably an approval requirement for new cars built back then) that the handbrake was mechanically operated by rod or cable - not even hydraulic handbrakes were permitted.

The big reason for this is obviously that it faced less areas where it could be compromised e.g. no hydraulic leaks etc and no electronic control systems to worry about that might fail.

For this reason, i've never understood how electronic parking brakes were ever approved - i understand about the air brakes on HGVs and buses etc, they're designed to fail safe in the event of air loss and come on automatically - the air is used to retract the shoes away from the drums, loss of air allows them to contact the drums again.

Reckon you dodged a bullet not buying a Passat - not all VWs are as reliable as the advert used to try and tell us!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 21:45   #35
Ian21401
Premier Member

I completely agree Dave.
I have similar niggles regarding the indicators which are within the headlamp shell and barely visible when the headlamps are lit. They may technically be “optically separate” but it’s dangerous.
Those stupid “cornering lights” located where one would expect the foglamps to be and which light up when the steering wheel is turned and are as much use to the driver as @#£&*. When I had my rally car the “cornering lights” were mounted at or near the same level as the headlamps and inboard of them, more importantly, the light on the right pointed left and the one on the left pointed right, which gave a much more useful field of light.
Fancy shaped LED DRLs which do not appear to reduce their intensity when obligatory lights are illuminated.
Headlamps which at certain angles appear blue. Easily mistaken at night for an emergency service blue.
Non road legal 100wattt headlamp bulbs openly on sale.
That’s all I can think of at present.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 23:00   #36
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I also dislike the indicators built in to the headlamp shell Ian for the same reason, they are nigh on invisible if the headlamp is on as there is a certain amount of reflection back into the light cluster, not to mention the fact the human eye sees just the one main light because there isn't enough separation between the two light sources. Many times i've nearly come to grief because of those indicators!

Another is idiots who park with their lights on, it's illegal for one thing (sidelights are ok but not dipped/main beam) and worse still are the idiots who park on the wrong side of the road with their headlights on. Even on dipped beam, that dazzles oncoming traffic because of the mandatory beam pattern with the "kick-up" to the left designed for seeing people on verges, road signs etc even on dipped beam but not doazzling oncoming traffic on the opposite side of the road.

As for those cornering lights, they are an absolute pain in the rectum, as soon as the wheel alignment aka tracking is knocked out, while driving straight one cornering light is permanently on. They serve no useful purpose either, just look flashy.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 12:46   #37
kiloran

Whilst not entirely due to electronic parking brakes they also have the potential to be lethal - Anton Yelchin, who played Chekhov in the Star Trek reboots, was killed because of confusion over how to the e-park button operated on his car.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36572649

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nhtsa-i...rand-cherokee/
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 12:56   #38
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Whilst not entirely due to electronic parking brakes they also have the potential to be lethal - Anton Yelchin, who played Chekhov in the Star Trek reboots, was killed because of confusion over how to the e-park button operated on his car.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36572649

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nhtsa-i...rand-cherokee/
I've only owned one Jeep Cherokee, i'm glad i don't plan on any more! With that one, unless it was in P i couldn't remove the key and likewise couldn't start it if the shift cable had relaxed so had to jiggle the gearshift in P to get it tight again - couldn't move out of P until the key was turned either!

Apparently fairly typical on many American cars of the time (it was an M reg/1994) but obviously not so safe on later models!

Having read both reports you linked to, he's quoted as saying he didn't want to let the car get damaged having not had it long so positioned himself between it and the brick wall. That really is going where no man has gone before!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 19:34   #39
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Work from yesterday

Reverse switch loom disconnected

20211014_134550 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

Propshaft disconnected

20211014_134602 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

20211014_134538 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

Waterpump removed and cleaned up ready to fit to the replacement engine.

20211014_143604 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

One filthy header tank removed to soak in Dave's special cleaning solution.

20211015_163322 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

20211015_163330 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

Todays work is pretty self explanatory

20211015_192205 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

20211015_192249 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

20211015_192332 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

It is a good thing there is a new Reverse switch on order as this one is literally disintegrating

IMG-20211015-WA0007 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

The one dowel decided to stay in the gearbox not the block

20211015_173553 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

That will do for today

IMG-20211015-WA0013 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

IMG-20211015-WA0011 by Luke Ryland - Flickr2BBcode LITE

Now my engine crane has given up the ghost, hopefully it is just low on oil as I have noticed it is leaking, if I pump it slowly it works but if I pump it normally it barely moves if at all. So I'm going to have to repair it before the replacement engine can go in.

Last edited by 360beast; Oct 15th, 2021 at 19:37.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 19:56   #40
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post

Now my engine crane has given up the ghost, hopefully it is just low on oil as I have noticed it is leaking, if I pump it slowly it works but if I pump it normally it barely moves if at all. So I'm going to have to repair it before the replacement engine can go in.
A lot of good work there Luke!

Definitely sounds like your engine crane is low on oil, i have a bottle jack that does the same and that just needs topping up. Need to find a fresh syringe for the jack oil first. With the engine crane, i expect the filler plug is bigger so you could use a small funnel instead.
Fingers crossed that's all it is or you're going to be eating 3 Weetabix, multiple cans of spinach and building your muscles up to lift the engine in by yourself!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: