Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2019 V60 Rear Knock

Views : 2766

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2019, 14:57   #1
roundyuk

Default 2019 V60 Rear Knock

So I've been chasing a knocking noise in my 4000 miles V60 (which sounds like a loose shock) - even my brother who is the guy who sold it to me (and basically deaf :-) ) can hear it.

In the dealer today and the techs agree it sounds like a knackered shock, but they swapped the left and right side and nothing changed. They then took another V60 they have there out and it sounds the same...

To be honest for a 36 grand car I just can't believe that's how it should be?! I know the roads in Sweden are uber smooth, but this really takes the enjoyment out of a premium car!

I am going to request that they feedback into Volvo and see what they have to say - I think the biggest hurdle though is that there just isn't that many of them out there yet!
roundyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 16:27   #2
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundyuk View Post
In the dealer today and the techs agree it sounds like a knackered shock, but they swapped the left and right side and nothing changed. They then took another V60 they have there out and it sounds the same...
Mine is quiet, no knock at all. I have only covered 1300 miles though.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 18:44   #3
Quacker
Premier Member

It's not the back seat latch adjusted a bit loosely is it? I've had a couple of cars where an empty back seat has caused a knocking noise under certain conditions. Could have sworn it was the suspension, until I lent rather suddenly and sharply on the first one for some reason, and heard the very knock. Adjusted the seat base latch and that was it, no more occasional knock.

Think outside the box.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 19:04   #4
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Might be the exhaust knocking against the rear bumper tailpipe holes.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 19:50   #5
roundyuk

Went out in another V60 of similar mileage at the dealer this afternoon, sounded the same as mine so really the dealer can’t do anything; they did ask if I wanted them to feedback to Volvo. Hopefully other people may be experiencing the same.

You have to hit the right type of bump to get the noise, but it’s defo there. I am gonna just crack on for a bit and see how it goes, just gets on my nerves; but short of test driving every V60 that comes in the dealer is stuck as they have a vehicle to compare against.

In theory if they didn’t have another to drive they could have escalated to Volvo UK and got assistance, but it won’t happen now. Not sure I have the energy to complain to Volvo UK as they will just refer to the dealer.

What spec is your 60 Whizzpop?

(Ah, same as me)
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 14:56   #6
tanujdua

What engine?

I have a D4 Auto with about 9200 miles on it now, (had it since 6k) and haven't heard anything like this.

Stupid question, but nothing under the boot floor rolling around?
tanujdua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 22:19   #7
roundyuk

38 and 56 seconds are good ones...

This is with the rear seat down...

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhYNTewtlZhXiMBRKHxdvgEPws7W1Q

The other thing I wonder if it is....the near side rear seat seems to rattle on its hinges, does anyone else with a V60 have the same?

Last edited by roundyuk; Jan 14th, 2019 at 22:31.
Old May 10th, 2019, 10:19   #8
switn

I have exactly the same thing. Nothing wrong with the shocks. Garage says it's normal. But it isn't.

I think it has something to do with the adblue tank. It gets worse when it's getting empty.

In my opinion, the v60 isn't as solid made as it should be. A lot of interior pieces already came loose because clips broke, and had to be replaced, rubbers on drivers door make cracking sounds.Window rubbers crack and pop. IN cold weather I have a popping sound in my dash when I hit a pothole or bump.

I expected more in this priceclass.
switn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 11:12   #9
roundyuk

I've come to the close of the saga after having the car with the dealer for a week - essentially it's been put down as an "undesirable noise characteristic".

The dealer has filed a report with Volvo (as they in fact requested the shocks back to the factory for inspection). The senior tech and I both agreed it's like the damping noise is being transmitted through mounting points or the body, poor design basically.

Like you say, very frustrating on a premium car really.

I get the creaking from rubbers etc when cold on mine, TBH my old V40 suffered from that too. The problem is the cabin and ride is so quiet these days you pickup on noises really easily!

Interesting feedback about the AdBlue tank, mine is just under half full now at 11K miles I think. Be interesting to see how the noise is after I fill mine. Where is the AdBlue tank on the V60?
The Following User Says Thank You to roundyuk For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2022, 11:11   #10
hullan

Default Did you get this sorted?

Hey man!

did you ever get this sorted out? I also have a strange knocking noise on my 2019 v60 D3 - it is only present when I'm driving slowly - like parking lot speed.
hullan is offline   Reply With Quote