Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil grade issues

Views : 807

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2014, 14:47   #1
highlandvolvoxc90

Default Oil grade issues

can anyone help??? i have a 2004 xc90 d5 awd, i am having issues starting the car in the cold, i have to jump start it every morning. i am wondering if it is an oil issue, it currently has 10w-40 in it as per the maunual but halford, eurocarparts and other site all say it needs 5w-30 or a 10w-30 oil grade, should i change the oil??
highlandvolvoxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 17:20   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

10w40 is to thick for D5 engine in this country as its not that warm,

It should have 5w30 in it,

Whats engine doing on a morning??

Is it turning over slow or not at all,
Is it just turning over and over and not starting,

The D5 engine especially if its auto aswell is a big old beast for starter to turn over and as good as volvo batteries are they don't last forever especially with all electrical stuff in xc90's.

They have an 800amp for a reason and shouldn't have anything smaller, might also be worth checking earth lead to engine from body as i have seen a couple of these cause starting issues
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 17:56   #3
highlandvolvoxc90

hi rooster thanks for your reply!!

Yeah that's what i thought, that's why i can understand why the manual should suggest such an oil!!

In the morning, when trying to start it, it'll crank over slower than usual but there's just not enough umph to get it going, so i have a heavy duty battery pack that i use to jump start it, you can hear the starter motor turning over faster and it'll start no bother at all.

It is an auto as well so like you said it is a big old lump to get going.

The battery is relatively new, just over a year old. i cant imagine there would be a problem it, where would be the best place to start checking the earth from the body to the engine?
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 18:01   #4
Rooster
Speed freak

Earth lead is bolted to front of gearbox at one end and under airbox at the other end,

Not to difficult to get to
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 18:32   #5
highlandvolvoxc90

thanks, ill have a look at that too
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 21:06   #6
Grumpywurzel
Gert Navy Bouy

Was it the correct type/CCA Battery???
Old Apr 18th, 2014, 21:37   #7
tonygreen1966

Check earth leads as suggested and check alternator belt is not slipping- check the belt tension. If they are ok then check alternator is charging your battery by measuring voltage, with everything(heated seats, rear window heater, blowers, fogs, high beam) switched on - you should be measuring 13.5ish volts at the battery- you may have to rev engine a little to get this- but no more than 1000-1200ish rpm.If your getting 13.5ish Volts then measure the voltage across your battery in the morning before you try and start the engine and it should be a little over 12 volts. If the battery is 12ish Volts I'd guess you have a knackered starter motor. If your not getting 13.5ish volts at the alternator(with 1200ish rpm and everything switched on) then measure the voltage directly behind the alternator connection - if your getting 13.5ish volts there then the problem lies with the cable from alternator to battery.If your not getting 13.5ish Volts behind the alternator then the alternator is knackered.(Have Kwik fit check it and battery for free)
I'm not saying all this is gospel as every model of car is different - thus the approximate-ish voltages - but this approach always works for me.
tonygreen1966 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold starting, oil, xc90