Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

smokey exhaust 850 T5

Views : 830

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 13:00   #1
ken850T5

Hi Lads
1995 850T5 140k miles. No mods.
Exhaust has started to smoke a bit. this morning I put the boot down in second and a few seconds later looked in the rear view and saw some blue haze where I had started.
Have seen this once or twice before. Doesn't seem over smokey at idle or 'normal' driving.
Went out to check it with a mate at work. Revved it in neutral and he said it does smoke a bit. Also it's not settling evenly when the revs are coming back down. I hear a bit of a whistle but that's just normal I guess. I turned it off and went to the back and noticed a bit of a petrol smell.
The lambda light is not on and the bulb does work (it lights on ignition).
I've arranged to take it to the dealer on Friday to hook up to 'the machine'. I've recently had it serviced when they replaced a turbo oil seal.'twas pricey.
The dealer main service guy knows his stuff. But they don't service a lot of T5 s and have little experience with a model as old as mine with that mileage.
I need feedback so I can go there armed with a few ideas as to the problem and questions to ask them.
very much obliged
Ken
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 15:55   #2
ken850T5

Tried it out at lunchtime. Didn't smoke this time. Warmed it up and went flat out first/second.
The smoke is intermittent. I think it happens more if I just chug along and then all of a sudden put the boot in.
Will try to repeat this mornings occurence again tomorrow.
Ken
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 17:09   #3
mraldonnelly

Hi Ken,

If you're on the original turbo and it's only an intermittent smoking then I reckon it'll probably be a worn turbo.

You may find it does it after idling for a couple of minutes too. I think what happens is that the vacuum in the turbo sucks oil through the bearing seal when you're not on boost.

Regards

Andy
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 17:45   #4
adieu
Master Member

Default RE: smokey exhaust 850 T5

sounds just like mine did about 10k ago...leave it to idle for about 2-5 mins and then pull away, if you get smoke then the turbo is on the way out as was mine. Mine had worn seals and a cracked housing. Turbo Technics do a nice replacemnet though... :)

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster
adieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 17:48   #5
Al115
Premier Member

If you search on the forum you will find that I was (still am) in a similar situation.

Sounds like the turbo needs replacing to me, as Andy says. Evidenced by the fact that the smoke only appears when the car is on boost.

Alastair
----------------------------
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/photopos...357v70-sig.jpg
Al115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:36   #6
ken850T5

Thanks lads - spot on about the idle. My MOT is due soon.
Guess I'll have to think a little more about those mods I was going to do. So the work plan for the next 15k is
now(140k) - suspension, rica 280, brakes, tyre set + smalls (horn move, pollen filter)
next year (155k) clutch, t belt, turbo.

However, I don't think I could rica without the Turbo and hoses.
At a guess 1000, 280, 150, 400, 100, 550, 500 1500= guts of 4k!
I think it's more than the car is worth! The driveshafts were done last year, all dash bulbs replaced in January. Saying that, the above list would have all the majors done and the car may well go to 200k.

The alternatives are
1 - Run to the ground over the 15-20k and sell it for the value of the 5 16J columbus alloys I have.
2 - Sell now and buy a different car.
3 - do the work - but - What else could go? It might be better to wait till after the MOT before doing any work - any of your smokey exhausts pass MOT?

Any advice wrt number 3 greatly appreciated
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 19:19   #7
jason

Hi,
Sounds like the Turbo is knackered,particulary when on boost and whistling.She will still run for another couple of thousand miles,would nt advise driving it to hard if you want to get some mileage out of it.You could upgrade it to a second hand 16T or just replace the 15G with a second hand one...Should nt be to expensive.

Jason
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 21:48   #8
adieu
Master Member

mine passed the mot last year with no problems but it wasn't smoking too bad then..Turbo Technics might be worth a call as thier cost arn't tooo high.

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster
adieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 18:04   #9
twinturbo

Mine does it to,

It struggled on the emissions at MOT time as it was engulfing the MOT bay after 20 Minutes at idle.. A BLAST up and down the motorway cleared it enught to get a decent result.

It's been patchy since, sometimes smoking sometimes not.

If the oil level is on the high side then I think that can cause smoking.

And if the breathers are blocked you get similar problems.

Also check that oil is not dripping from the cam cover at the back onto the turbo. Mine did that and would produce smoke clouds when cornering hard!

I have bought 2 spare turbos to try. £50 & £60 they cost me.

A seal kit is about £50 and should sort it, but you need to be reasonably confident about fitting it.

Other wise it's a Recon turbo at £250 or a new one at over £500.

TT