Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noisy air conditioning compressor

Views : 9594

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2011, 19:25   #1
gasc2188

Default Noisy air conditioning compressor

I'm the proud owner of a Volvo XC70, which is the 07 onwards model. The only fly in the ointment is the air conditioning compressor is noisy when the AC is running. It has an annoying whining noise, but as soon as I switch off the AC switch, the noise immediately dissappears.

I'm thinking of replacing the compressor with either a reconditioned one, or a second hand one off ebay. Anybody know any better idea's? Can the noisy compressor be cured. The AC works fine and air is very cold.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
gasc2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 18:16   #2
Stefanfed

If you can remove the pulley off the compressor that would be a cheaper option as this will more than likely be your noise, bit they are very tight and sometimes opposite thread
Stefanfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 18:37   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasc2188 View Post
I'm the proud owner of a Volvo XC70, which is the 07 onwards model. The only fly in the ointment is the air conditioning compressor is noisy when the AC is running. It has an annoying whining noise, but as soon as I switch off the AC switch, the noise immediately dissappears.

I'm thinking of replacing the compressor with either a reconditioned one, or a second hand one off ebay. Anybody know any better idea's? Can the noisy compressor be cured. The AC works fine and air is very cold.

I would ask your dealer if any help is available , ie any actions exist against you car . you could be pleasantly surprised .
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 16:09   #4
Razer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasc2188 View Post

How ironic, my aircon compressor (V70 D5 Auto 57 plate) started developing the same noise around 3 weeks ago, very intermittent and now more prominent. Would drive off in the morning with no noise but if you then started the car after half an hour or so after parking it was very prominent, especially around 30mph (around 1500rpm)

To cut a long story short i thought it was engine/gearbox but after reading something on here tracked it down to the ac system by turning it off when i heard the noise.

Dropped the car into the garage (without an appointment) first thing this morning as i have a 1500mile round trip starting friday over the next few weeks in the deepest darkest depths of scotland. Garage called about 30 minutes ago to tell me i need a complete new compressor, which fortunately is covered under the used car warranty (i also purchased an extra year) and they will fit it tomorrow morning. Very impressed with their service, espcially since they are short staffed this week too

Downside is if your not under warranty your looking at around £800 at a dealers (compressor on its own is £462 from the car part places ive looked at online) and your supposed to replace the drier at the same time, another £40+

Good luck.
MY05 - S60 D5 SE (2006-2009)
Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 16:26   #5
Razer

Hmm, just got the car back with new compressor etc and at the moment its noisier than when i dropped it off, but again turning the compressor off stops the noise.

Hoping it just needs some 'bedding' in perhaps on the brand new clutch etc.

Cant do a lot about it now, 9hr drive tomorrow.
MY05 - S60 D5 SE (2006-2009)
Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2014, 20:03   #6
AlanB

OK, old post, but it sounds like my problem, did the compressor finally bed in?

Mine started making a noise a couple of months ago. Sounds similar, stops when you turn the a/c off. Took it to my Volvo dealership, they think it may be the compressor and are quoting £862. It appears that the action note expired on mine earlier this year, so no financial help from Volvo there (shame that it isn't on mileage, only got about 49k).
My problem is...
1) they didn't seem that certain that the compressor was the cause (could be the gas pressure)
2) I am not sure how turning it a/c on or off affects the compressor in such a way that it makes a noise or not.

V70 D5 phase 3 (2009 model)
AlanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 15:26   #7
Model flyer
Master Member

If the compressor is noisy then it will only get worse . They should be quiet . My 2007 v70 is almost silent and only the clicking of the clutch can be heard if the bonnet is up. Silent in the car .If you had a replacement then back it . Compressor only turns when A/C is switched on ,hence the noise.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2014, 08:52   #8
fdhthr

Default same with V70 D3 YM2011

I have same prob with V70 D3 YM2011 : when I left my car under sunshine and in warm weatherconditions , turning on AC, the compressor makes noice like when clutch disc need to be swapped for a while. Giving gaz, noice stopts.
In cooler days, no noice.

Left car @ garage, didn't find anything. Put some magic spray on belts.
If you find a solution, let me know ! lol

Th
Belgium
fdhthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2014, 09:03   #9
c70man

Smile aircon pump noise

Hi.
i also have noise problem from the aircon pump area how do you take of the clutch please.
i think it maybe that.
all the best.
Volvo xc70 d5 auto 53 plate.

steve.

Last edited by c70man; Sep 29th, 2014 at 09:05.
c70man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2014, 15:00   #10
c70man

Default No help on this one then ?

see my post above please if you can help
c70man is offline   Reply With Quote