Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 with some problems

Views : 3657

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2013, 12:02   #1
MalcForrest

Default D5 with some problems

Hi all,

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. Couple of weeks ago when I jumped into the car, started it up (gave a moment of 2 to warm up) I drove off and as I powered up the hill, she went into limp home mode and displayed "Engine Service Required"
So I ran a diagnostic and it displayed a fault with the MAf (but no MIL) so I cleared it to see if that fault would replicate (as this particular day was muggy and could have caused it) but it's happened only once since then, without limp home mode, just storing the fault. The other issues have triggered faults are wastegate solenoid, low fuel pressure and something else. I've since erased the faults and it's been fine, never a problem with the exception of "Engine Service required"

Anyone know why that's appearing? THe car isn't due a sergice until 129k
MalcForrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 12:37   #2
Yosser
Gizza job - I can do that

I would change the fuel filter first of all, you may find it has never been changed.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 19:39   #3
MalcForrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosser View Post
I would change the fuel filter first of all, you may find it has never been changed.
It was changed during it's major service in May last year.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 20:52   #4
Yosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcForrest View Post
It was changed during it's major service in May last year.
Without wishing to cast aspersions, do you know it was changed or are you relying on the bill saying that it was?

That aside, the in tank pump can also cause fuel pressure issues if its dodgy.

A proper read of the codes using Vida/dice might give more specific clues.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 08:47   #5
MalcForrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosser View Post
Without wishing to cast aspersions, do you know it was changed or are you relying on the bill saying that it was?

That aside, the in tank pump can also cause fuel pressure issues if its dodgy.

A proper read of the codes using Vida/dice might give more specific clues.
It's done at a Main Dealer in Edinburgh so I'd like to think it was done properly. They do come highly recommended.

I've ran a few diagnostics on the car since my post and no faults have appeared again, it's just the message on the dash "Engine Service Required"

When you mention VIDA/Dice? what is this?

Last edited by MalcForrest; Jan 13th, 2013 at 08:58.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 12:38   #6
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
It's done at a Main Dealer in Edinburgh so I'd like to think it was done properly. They do come highly recommended.

I've ran a few diagnostics on the car since my post and no faults have appeared again, it's just the message on the dash "Engine Service Required"

When you mention VIDA/Dice? what is this?
When i bought my 3 year old Volvo S60 D5 with 55k on the clock it came with a full Volvo service History.

I gave it a service myself and can categorically state that the fuel filter had never ever been touched. It was filthy.

All i am saying is that many ( not all ) garages rely on customers being either stupid or trusting.

I would do as has already been suggested by Yosser and change the fuel filter yourself . That way you can discount it from the equation. At present you cannot ( even with a large bill to prove otherwise )

Darryl

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 12:43   #7
Yosser

Having only used Murray for parts (and even then, only occasionally) I have no idea what the service is like, although you may be surprised by the number of cars with 'full history' that have had some things omitted.

Anyway, Dice is the Volvo diagnostic gadget that the dealers use. Vida is the software it utilises. The extent of the diagnostics/tests that can be run on the car is still a bit of a mystery to me as I'm still learning, by that I mean the capability of the software is way beyond my current experience level using it.

It's a must for the later cars (P2 on) if, like me, you do your own repairs & maintenance. Streets ahead of a generic OBD reader.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 18:08   #8
MalcForrest

Does anyone know what "Engine Service Required" is actually referring to, as it's not in the handbook and if it were an actually interval service, there are messages contained within that would specify what the car is wanting, whether an interval, major etc. I've also tried resetting the dash using a technique I found on here, where you select position I on the ignition, hold the odometer reset then select position II (whilst hold the odometer reset) where the yellow warning triangle, with a beeb should be observed. I've tried this a couple of times and it's failed to get rid of the message. So unless my Volvo is more intelligent that I give it credit for, it should just reset unless there're sensor on the fuel filter housing.

Another question: Where is the fuel filter? I'm assuming it's on the under carriage as I've examined the engine bay and found diddly.

Oh and another thing. Despite Murray Volvo telling me my car doesn't use Glow/Heater plugs, and instead is Direct Injected and the fuel heats under pressure (this is true on VAG's PD and Common Rail) I've since found 5 glow plugs. How interesting is that?
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 18:38   #9
Yosser

Quote:
Does anyone know what "Engine Service Required" is actually referring to
It's telling you to go to a Volvo dealer and pull your pants down

Seriously though, it means you need to read the codes and remedy the underlying cause of the codes.

Quote:
Another question: Where is the fuel filter? I'm assuming it's on the under carriage as I've examined the engine bay and found diddly.
It's located under the car just forward of the offside rear wheel.

Quote:
Oh and another thing. Despite Murray Volvo telling me my car doesn't use Glow/Heater plugs, and instead is Direct Injected and the fuel heats under pressure (this is true on VAG's PD and Common Rail) I've since found 5 glow plugs. How interesting is that?
Quite. So not beyond the realms of possibility that they have made other mistakes...

If you are stuck, then I can read / clear the codes for you here (west Edinburgh).
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 18:39   #10
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Does anyone know what "Engine Service Required" is actually referring to, as it's not in the handbook and if it were an actually interval service, there are messages contained within that would specify what the car is wanting, whether an interval, major etc. I've also tried resetting the dash using a technique I found on here, where you select position I on the ignition, hold the odometer reset then select position II (whilst hold the odometer reset) where the yellow warning triangle, with a beeb should be observed. I've tried this a couple of times and it's failed to get rid of the message. So unless my Volvo is more intelligent that I give it credit for, it should just reset unless there're sensor on the fuel filter housing.

thats as interesting as finding another dealer in my book
the fuel filter is under the offside rear passenger door black plastic. can be a pain to undo