Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V 70 XC 70 AWD 1999 B5254T non starter

Views : 4020

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2013, 17:16   #41
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

P1132 code is for VVT soleniod circuit.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ighlight=P1132

You won't see any useful data from OBDII for the front sensor as it's a wideband type.

The log looks OK but what are the fuel trim figures?
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 17:52   #42
big_yin

Thanks for the reply Chris
Will have a look at the program i am using to see if this gives me these figures but will be tomorrow as the laptop is currently in use

I am reading through the article on the link in your reply

If it is the VVT can i just replace it with a new one or working second hand one or does it need software as well ?
big_yin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 18:10   #43
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

No software as far as I know.

If it's the first time you've seen this code I'd reset it and see if it comes back.

Engine oil condition is the first thing I'd look for.
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 18:34   #44
big_yin

This code was there before
I did reset it but after 200/250 miles it would come back again.

The last time i did a reset i was in the Netherlands and then all the other problems occurred with the car revs all over the place and running very rough and drinking 12 MPG

The ETM , MAF and the Front Oxygen sensor have been replaced now and the car is running normal even though the check engine light is on and code P1132 is present.

I will do a reset tomorrow again and see what happens.

If the oil is old it can effect the working of the VVT?
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 18:42   #45
960kg
Premier Member

According to your model and year the error code P1132 = Volvo ECM- 280A

which is to do with front O2 Sensor

The same code in the link is for a `99 S80 T6 although OBD11 codes they are different depending what model you have!

Although these sensors are cheaper and may even have the same number on them they are not as Volvo as they are made by Bosch to Volvo spec. and cannot be sold as Bosch because of copyright........The same thing happens with the Spark Plugs and that is why a Volvo will always run better on the Volvo plug.

Yes, i understand that £80 is better than the £230 from Volvo but you only get what you pay for.

I learnt the hard way some 6 yrs ago and my life was a misery due to bad O2 sensors on the 960. I ended up with 4 copy ones and the only ones that gave no bother was the correct Volvo components.

So at the end of the day we all choose our own paths, some with not so much aggravation!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1132.jpg (345.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P1132 2.jpg (166.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg codes.jpg (362.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by 960kg; Jan 1st, 2013 at 18:53.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 18:51   #46
big_yin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
According to your model and year the error code P1132 = Volvo ECM- 280A

which is to do with front O2 Sensor

The same code in the link is for a `99 S80 T6 although OBD11 codes they are different depending what model you have!

The front oxygen sensor has just been replaced by a genuine BOSCH with the same part number as the original one that was installed and checked on the BOSCH website.
Before this was replaced the car wouldn't run for long before starting to hunt and drink again and that is one thing that isn't happening now.

Could this new sensor be a dud ?
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 19:00   #47
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

My mistake, Keith is correct on the OBD code, comes of relying on memory!

This is a front O2 sensor code, but note that the code could be set by a poor rear sensor.

I'd suggest that you give it some time, it maybe the CAT is a bit contaminated from the rich running and needs to burn off the soot, try and do some long runs and see if this helps before spending more cash.

Have a look at the STFT & LTFT figures, this should give you some confidence that the front O2 sensor is OK.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 19:02   #48
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_yin View Post
The front oxygen sensor has just been replaced by a genuine BOSCH with the same part number as the original one that was installed and checked on the BOSCH website.
Before this was replaced the car wouldn't run for long before starting to hunt and drink again and that is one thing that isn't happening now.

Could this new sensor be a dud ?
Hi,
I always get slagged at for mentioning Genuine Parts (not yourself) but as said the numbers don`t mean they have the same spec. as the Volvo one.

Yes, you may be ok with out a hitch at £80 but why do Volvo sell them at £230 when they know people can go to Bosch and get the same thing for one third the price.......surely it is foolish to do that......but perhaps they know things that we don`t??

You may have a duffy sensor it says in the readings that it could be?

When it is such important items to the running of the engine i always buy genuine parts especially with turbo`s, they ALWAYS work. Otherwise one just doesn`t know where the hell you are!!

Last edited by 960kg; Jan 1st, 2013 at 19:04.
The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 19:21   #49
big_yin

ok

So don't have to look at the VVT then.

I will clear the code before driving to work tomorrow morning and see what happens .

960KG
But if the both Bosch parts have the same numbers on them shouldn't they be the same?
How can they otherwise keep them apart if one is the Volvo part and the other one a part directly from Bosch ?
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 12:08   #50
960kg
Premier Member

960KG
But if the both Bosch parts have the same numbers on them shouldn't they be the same?
How can they otherwise keep them apart if one is the Volvo part and the other one a part directly from Bosch ?
Yesterday 19:02

Yes, i understand where you are coming from but i have had no more trouble with O2 sensors since buying from Volvo and i have had three more Volvo since the trouble with the 960.

A T4 owner on the X40 site quite a few months back asked me about the numbers on his O2 sensors he was buying cheap £90 and i replied with the answer that they were the correct numbers.
Shortly after that he did not use the car then when the MOT was due it did not pass on emissions, he knew he had new O2 sensors so changed most other things, still no change, i told him to bite the bullet and just get new ones from Volvo and it passed ok but did cost him 2 MOT`s on top of that, expensive learning, but was similar to what i went through myself.

When you buy from others on-line who is to say if they are Chinese copies?....they will all look alike...

It is everyone to there own, for me myself Genuine all the time from the dealer whatever especially as said with a turbo.

What i don`t understand is mark up from £75/80 to £230 at Volvo there is too much difference for them to be identical parts!