Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nothing for ages, then three problems all in a day!

Views : 590

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 22:31   #1
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Nothing for ages, then three problems all in a day!

Well, I guess this has as much to do with the fact that my S90 has covered only 1000 miles in almost six months, but first the remote stopped working, and the spare was equally defunct.

So four new C1220 batteries later, and £12 the poorer, full remote locking and alarm setting is resumed. Important because locking the doors on the key does just that - but it doesn't set the alarm.

Then on a steamy hot day, the centre air vents were clearly decidedly asthmatic. Remembering what Dave had posted only last week I assumed I might have vacuum problems, so I checked all the vacuum lines under the bonnet. All seemed fine - and then all of a sudden the vents are working. At first I could hear them moving when I operated the switch, so some enthusiastic switching followed, and now they are silent but for a click as the flaps engage. I'm guessing / hoping that it was just lack of use had caused things to stick a bit. Time will tell I guess.

Then I noticed a curious chirruping sound when the engine was gently revved. Thinking that possibly either the aux belt or, more worryingly, something cam-belt-related was amiss I proceeded to strip off the plastic cam cover. And the noise went away!

Careful examination of the rearmost of the two pieces of the cam cover revealed very definite score marks on the inside face. There are a series of ribs moulded into the underside of the cover, just where the profile changes, presumably to provide some structural rigidity, and several of these ribs were very evidently worn down.

So I popped a couple of washers between the engine block and the cam cover, under the bolt holes, just enough to lift the cover clear of the belt. To make things easy for myself I superglued the washers to the underside of the cam cover.

The engine doth chirrup no more. Again, I wonder why it should suddenly be that after 25 years and 125,000 miles, the cam-belt plastic cover should suddenly decide to move just enough to catch on the cam-belt? Could that also be down to simple lack of use? Or could it be an early sign that the belt needs to be changed?

It did I suppose give me a chance to look at the cam-belt, water pump and idlers. It all looks fine, with (touch wood) no sign of any deterioration of the belt, or weeping from the pump. The idlers and tensioner are all silent. But now it has me thinking that perhaps I should change the belt anyway. It was last done 7 years and 50,000 miles ago, and as far as I'm able to find out, the interval is 70,000 miles or ten years, although not all the various reference sites agree. Some simply give it as 70,000 miles.

Anyway, at the end of all this, does anyone know how to access the air distribution flap so that I can squirt in a bit of silicone spray? And do you think it'd be wise to get the cam belt done? I'm still working from home, so the miles aren't going to go up much, and I'll be surprised if the car does more than another couple of thousand miles this side of Christmas.

Thoughts gentlemen welcomed as ever.

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Jun 7th, 2021 at 22:44.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post: