Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Undersealing an amazon!

Views : 3209

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2021, 12:46   #11
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123GT-AMAZON View Post
I would strip all Underseal off the underneath of the car , then address all areas so solid once that’s carried out you have a few options but I would favour three coats of satin black hamerite then a nice coat of waxoil in all nooks and crannies to then …
apply a heavy coat underneath everywhere 😎👍

Bang for buck easy maintenance then it’s got to get by waxoil , then 1 , 2 and then it’s third coat of hammerite good luck moisture safe for 5-10 years for sure and I have tested this also have customers in seaside areas also in Scotland .

Now the thing to watch is over winter salted roads the only help you can do is keep washed even when using in winter times each week wash and clean your car on Sunday for maximum results one customer I have lives down road from a main salt store in Scotland and that’s what he’s had todo 6.5 years later still good so keep it simple and maintain it Is my best advice 😎👍

Don’t listen to companies claiming a Miracle product like rust busters a great example that all it is = epoxy primer in a tin two part yeah righty o rust busters anyone in the trade all they have todo is read ingredients will know straight away Pfttt but on the flip side it’s not badly priced if your looking for epoxy primer pre respray 👌😎👍

All the best

Kind regards
Robert.w
Rust buster sell rebadged Jotun epoxies. I use Jotun Jotamastic 80; sprays nice, very surface tolerant, will go over old paint, can be top coated with anything and is excellent corrosion resistant. Bang for your buck for a quality coating. Can be used under the car or on the A surfaces before topcoat. Other folk use Jotamastic 87 but I find it doesn’t spray as well, good if applying by brush or roller. Buy it from SML paints online, excellent service.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 13:29   #12
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Rust buster sell rebadged Jotun epoxies. I use Jotun Jotamastic 80; sprays nice, very surface tolerant, will go over old paint, can be top coated with anything and is excellent corrosion resistant. Bang for your buck for a quality coating. Can be used under the car or on the A surfaces before topcoat. Other folk use Jotamastic 87 but I find it doesn’t spray as well, good if applying by brush or roller. Buy it from SML paints online, excellent service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123GT-AMAZON View Post
I would strip all Underseal off the underneath of the car , then address all areas so solid once that’s carried out you have a few options but I would favour three coats of satin black hamerite then a nice coat of waxoil in all nooks and crannies to then …
apply a heavy coat underneath everywhere 😎👍

Bang for buck easy maintenance then it’s got to get by waxoil , then 1 , 2 and then it’s third coat of hammerite good luck moisture safe for 5-10 years for sure and I have tested this also have customers in seaside areas also in Scotland .

Now the thing to watch is over winter salted roads the only help you can do is keep washed even when using in winter times each week wash and clean your car on Sunday for maximum results one customer I have lives down road from a main salt store in Scotland and that’s what he’s had todo 6.5 years later still good so keep it simple and maintain it Is my best advice 😎👍

Don’t listen to companies claiming a Miracle product like rust busters a great example that all it is = epoxy primer in a tin two part yeah righty o rust busters anyone in the trade all they have todo is read ingredients will know straight away Pfttt but on the flip side it’s not badly priced if your looking for epoxy primer pre respray 👌😎👍

All the best

Kind regards
Robert.w
I too think Hammerite is quite a good solution for some parts of a car but there can be trouble with mixing / painting it close to conventional car paint. If you are aiming for nice body coloured wheel arches than perhaps applying hammerite to other parts of the underside should be avoided to stop unwanted paint reactions. (I think Hammerite although now made by Axo-Nobel here in Europe is still a MEK solvent based paint).

Hammerite is great for components that are unlikely to be touched or exposed to wear. I have, however, been disappointed at how easily it can be scratched.

For a single component solution Eastwood do two chassis black products that I have found to perform very well. They are not quite as tough as say German two pack paint (think Mercedes where some people who "detail" complaint about how tough the top coats are and that scratch removal requires more effort!)

####

Epoxy is most certainly a very good solution.

I like the Epifanes stuff which has an amount of Zinc added to it to help the anti-corrosion properties.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 22:48   #13
Dibble
VOC Member

I finally got all the underseal off mine and cleared to shiny metal. 6 coats of red oxide and 6 coats of Hammerite. That was 10 years ago and there is no sign of any rust.
I don't know if you can go into my User CP but if possible you will see lots of pictures of my restoration.

Last edited by Dibble; Oct 25th, 2021 at 22:50.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dibble For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 21:54   #14
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble View Post
I finally got all the underseal off mine and cleared to shiny metal. 6 coats of red oxide and 6 coats of Hammerite. That was 10 years ago and there is no sign of any rust.
I don't know if you can go into my User CP but if possible you will see lots of pictures of my restoration.
And with Scottish driving that’s a very good result , weather can be very cold at times so extra salt being laid 😎👍
Sometimes some elbow grease and a good old few coats of hammerite takes some beating keep an eye on it but even then easily maintained you just clean up and apply a few extra coats

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 22:55   #15
Dibble
VOC Member

I was under the car a few weeks ago during its MOT and it's still looking very good.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dibble For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2021, 23:28   #16
Rustinmotion

I'm a big fan of cold zink spray for rust prevention it's self healing, years ago I made doors for oil rigs in the North sea and the paint we used was zinc rich you literally added a bag of zinc powder to the paint, my point is if it's good enough for the North sea environment it should last on the road
If money is not too important check out Retro power on YouTube they hot zinc spray the underside then seal every joint then use raptor bed liner https://youtu.be/JOx_HOwzz3E
Rustinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 20:33   #17
morwenna240

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffy460 View Post
have a look at lanoguard , eary to do too
A farmer friend, runs sheep, has some machinery outside. The sheep like to scratch their backs on the machines they can get under. Where they have been, the metal is bright shiny clean. . . the preserver is lanolin off their wool.
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morwenna240 For This Useful Post:

Tags
amazon, bodywork, rust, underseal